Jump to content
n8cas4

B.A.S.S. buying FLW... Will it happen soon?

Recommended Posts

It seems that pieces have already fallen into place: the switch to a three-day FLW Cup a few years back, no more co-anglers next year...  Most people, anglers and executives, agree it would significantly grow the sport.  Will it happen sooner rather than later?  Would BASS take the top 60 from each top tour to make up the Elites?  Would the rest go into a new lower tier tour?    What do you guys think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know, don't care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, reason said:

Don't know, don't care. 

don't comment

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the two will ever merge. However writer Don Barone hinted recently that big changes could be coming that could draw a line in the sand. A few Elite pros have hinted to something as well. The rumor mill is running wild right now. Supposedly whatever is going to happen is supposed to in the next week or two. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

I don't think the two will ever merge. However writer Don Barone hinted recently that big changes could be coming that could draw a line in the sand. A few Elite pros have hinted to something as well. The rumor mill is running wild right now. Supposedly whatever is going to happen is supposed to in the next week or two. 

I think I heard that the Elites Series will soon be an A-Rig only deal.

A-Rig All day Every Day.

Sort of like a Chinese Food Buffet.

Ok - maybe not  . . . . .

Be interested to see what if any the changes will be though

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm betting they'll stay separate, but who knows? I do like the changes coming from FLW. I'd like to see BASS make some changes too, invite more FLW guys to the Bassmaster Classic each year. They advertise the Classic as the best of best, but guys like Thrift, Morgan, Rose etc. aren't invited? Tough sell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 38 Super Fan said:

I'm betting they'll stay separate, but who knows? I do like the changes coming from FLW. I'd like to see BASS make some changes too, invite more FLW guys to the Bassmaster Classic each year. They advertise the Classic as the best of best, but guys like Thrift, Morgan, Rose etc. aren't invited? Tough sell.

You don't get 'invited' to the Classic, there's a qualification process and those guys haven't qualified...Not saying they couldn't, but they just haven't.  

 

I doubt they merge, I don't think either tour will ever have enough money to buy the other.  I've seen the rumors about something involving MLF and Johnny Morris, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I think it's probably some kind of anglers union or organization like the old PAA that's coming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 38 Super Fan said:

invite more FLW guys to the Bassmaster Classic each year. They advertise the Classic as the best of best, but guys like Thrift, Morgan, Rose etc. aren't invited? Tough sell.

The FLW pro's have to qualify thru the opens to make it to the Elite's like everyone else. Then they could qualify for the Classic. Thrift, Morgan, Rose and Dudley have all said that they prefer to stay FLW. They would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Logan S said:

I doubt they merge, I don't think either tour will ever have enough money to buy the other.  I've seen the rumors about something involving MLF and Johnny Morris, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I think it's probably some kind of anglers union or organization like the old PAA that's coming.

Good point about the money...

 

Maybe the new majority owners from the recent changes to BASS ownership know more about making something like this happen. It would take YEARS, in my opinion, to combine the two top tours into one. But, the creation of a new ‘triple-A’ sort of trail for the rest of the, say 100 anglers who didn’t make it into the elites, that would make it a little easier for an aspiring angler to learn the ropes and survive financially would be exciting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, n8cas4 said:

It would take YEARS, in my opinion, to combine the two top tours into one.

May I comment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't really care either way but I hope it happens. 

 

In my opinion one larger governing body organized with a fair structure, having the best anglers under one umbrella would be ideal. 

It will not only improve the competition, but it will have a greater possibility of moving the sport more into the mainstream. 

 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, volzfan59 said:

The FLW pro's have to qualify thru the opens to make it to the Elite's like everyone else. Then they could qualify for the Classic. Thrift, Morgan, Rose and Dudley have all said that they prefer to stay FLW. They would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

 

1 hour ago, Logan S said:

You don't get 'invited' to the Classic, there's a qualification process and those guys haven't qualified...Not saying they couldn't, but they just haven't.  

 

I doubt they merge, I don't think either tour will ever have enough money to buy the other.  I've seen the rumors about something involving MLF and Johnny Morris, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I think it's probably some kind of anglers union or organization like the old PAA that's coming.

I know you have to qualify...but their criteria to qualify seems very flawed to me. FLWs angler of the year doesn't even earn qualification? I know they're rival tours, but I'd still like to see the top 10 in FLW AOY standings qualify for the Classic. It's the biggest tourney in fishing, lets get all the best anglers in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a business.  Both organizations are driven by profit.  The vested sponsors will mostly dictate any consideration to establish a merger.  The anglers are a component.  This won't be like the the old AFL-NFL merger driven by owners. Major sponsors will have the most influence. Media won't even come into play being the viewer market is small and events are barely covered for TV.  Neither tour comes out west any more so that effects how I view the whole concept anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they reversed the no co-anglers thing and are bringing them back next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, reason said:

May I comment?

 

1 hour ago, Columbia Craw said:

It's a business.  Both organizations are driven by profit.  The vested sponsors will mostly dictate any consideration to establish a merger.  The anglers are a component.  This won't be like the the old AFL-NFL merger driven by owners. Major sponsors will have the most influence. Media won't even come into play being the viewer market is small and events are barely covered for TV.  Neither tour comes out west any more so that effects how I view the whole concept anyway. 

Bass is going out west next year ...  and the co-anglers are gone next year in FLW for the first time in a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, nosdog2 said:

I thought they reversed the no co-anglers thing and are bringing them back next year. 

Haven't heard that, but I hope you're right. 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive not heard anything about a BASS & FLW merger ; nor have I heard anyone hinting to do so. So who is the source of the rumor ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, J.Vincent said:

Ive not heard anything about a BASS & FLW merger ; nor have I heard anyone hinting to do so. So who is the source of the rumor ? 

It’s been on people’s minds for a while now.  Jerry McKinnis a couple years back, in an interview with ikelive or Bass Talk Live (I forget) tippy-toed around some questions of whether the two have met for talks and it just seems that with FLWs recent actions, that something big is coming. It doesn’t make sense for these two to be competing against each other (which they clearly are, since they won’t line up their schedules to let anglers fish both trails ) when their goal ultimately is to grow the sport of bass fishing. With MLF taking off and getting great TV deals, it seems like a smart move... just a real complicated and costly move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the FLW moves were made to help themselves and their anglers more squarely compete with BASS. If there was a merger or buyout in the works it seems like maybe they wouldn't have bothered with the changes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% isn't happening for one huge reason...

Next year MLF will have the top 75 pros from each in their new series.  The TOP pros are doing it exclusively.  2 huge payout tournaments and 3-5 pro level payout tournaments.   Current flw/BASS tournament model for pros is antiquated and is dying.  Why spend money to merge?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLF is what’s going to take over everything.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense and I say this as a person who really enjoys watching MLF; but I think the Major League Fishing format is cool and novel and exciting because it’s different, but it’s not the format of the future. BASS has worked very hard to capture the true challenges of tournament bass Fishing and also highlight the high school side , college side, amateur side and pro side of the sport. BASS has the sport covered from every angle; and that is something FLW and MLF cannot completely offer...so as the sport progresses I think BASS will make some exciting changes within their own Brand and tournament formats but most likely not merge with FLW. It just seems too much like a monopoly of the pro trail...but I’m sure anything can happen in a world motivated by financial gain 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, webertime said:

100% isn't happening for one huge reason...

Next year MLF will have the top 75 pros from each in their new series.  The TOP pros are doing it exclusively.  2 huge payout tournaments and 3-5 pro level payout tournaments.   Current flw/BASS tournament model for pros is antiquated and is dying.  Why spend money to merge?

Any credible source on this?  That's a pretty huge bombshell if true...Especially since good chunk of the field for the 2019 Classic are already qualified or likely to be qualified and the 2019 FLW Cup is set/scheduled as well.  Not to mention both schedules for 2019 are already announced.  I seriously doubt that's the case.    

 

I personally don't think MLF itself is 'the future', but I do think you'll see the Catch-Weigh-Release format come into play eventually...BASS already does for Texas Fest, the College Bracket, and the Classic Bracket.  It's a great idea that's catching on all the way down to the grassroots level, our club even does it for some tournaments.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mike L said:

Haven't heard that, but I hope you're right. 

 

 

Mike

Scott Martin announced it on his Youtube channel while he was at the FWC banquet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flw co anglers are coming back next year. Scott and billy anounced it on Scott’s channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×