Jump to content
Sam

Hurricane Season has Arrived

Recommended Posts

Gee Thanks 

I thought we were Pal's!!

😃

 

 

 

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been a very slow year for hurricanes.Hopefully this weather system will break up the red tide and move it away from SouthWest Florida

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Gordon will come ashore at the mouth of the Pearl River, east of New Orleans.

 

Uncle used to keep his 38-foot Chris Craft in a bayou up river from the mouth of the Pearl and we would go into the Gulf via the Pearl River.

 

He and I drove to the boat one year while I was in high school to bring it up the river as a hurricane was approaching. We used the heavy anchor and sank it into the marsh allowing a lot of rope out, used one of the 12-foot skiffs to get back to the ramp, and left for New Orleans.

 

When we went back after the storm the boat was in excellent condition.

 

Hope Gordon goes more east as we don't need another hurricane hitting New Orleans or screwing up the LSU football schedule. Although the Fighting Tigers clobbered Miami last night, we still need the "W" from Southeastern Louisiana to help make a good bowl game.

 

Everyone in Gordon's path start making evacuation plans, now.

 

Let us know what you did and if you suffered any damages, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting very windy. 

Center is 15 miles SW of here heading into the gulf. 

With every wind gust the motor home rocks a little bit. 

 

Louisiana is gonna get it worse than us here in SW Florida..,

 

You guys keep your head down!!!

 

 

 

 

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was heavy rains with +30mph wind gust yesterday where I live in South Florida but I saw no damage caused by Tropical Storm Gordon. Went fishing in the late afternoon when most of the rain stopped and caught lots of fish. Today is a beautiful day and you cannot even tell a Tropical Depression passed by. Looks like Tropical storm Gordon upgraded to Hurricane Gordon and is headed for Louisiana. Hopefully it gets weaker or changes course since Louisiana cannot take another vicious beat down from any more hurricanes or extreme weather that causes massive flooding.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke to my best friend in Kenner and my favorite cousin in Lakeshore (New Orleans by the Lake) and they both are not worried about the storm hitting the New Orleans area and they are not evacuating.

 

Both said it would hit tonight and they would see what happened tomorrow morning.

 

Here is the latest on the storm:

 

Gordon is now 4 MPH from Cat. 1 Hurricane. Landfall is imminent.
No automatic alt text available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the hurricane went west and spared New Orleans and Louisiana.

 

Hope it dissipates rapidly and does little damage.

 

I think we missed a bullet with this one.

 

Three systems coming off the African coast now so we are not out of the woods, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping everyone is staying safe and being careful. Could never understand why people stay put when a hurricane or even tropical storm comes through. I guess you just got to be used to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live on the MS. gulf coast. Storm's track was predicting it would be a direct hit on Long Beach, Biloxi area. Storm jogged to the East right before landfall and instead hit Alabama/Mississippi. Slept like a baby last night...high & dry...

 

Katrina survivor...  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it aint a cat 3 I don't worry to much 😉

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have got to be kidding. Big storm heading for east coast. All living in the area to be hit be sure to watch your local TV weather reports.

 

ATTENTION SPECIAL STATEMENT ON HURRICANE FLORENCE and 18z GFS

Image may contain: drawing
Image may contain: text
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's left of Gordon is suppose to hit here over the weekend about the same time as a cold front moving through.  We are suppose to get heavy rain, and a lot of it.  Hopefully it will bring up the lakes from the drought.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again....We can't catch a break here in the DELMARVA.  I trust DT's weather predictions but I'm still going fishing Saturday!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we’re supposed to be leaving for Cape Hatteras next Tuesday for a few days of flounder fishing.

 

it aint looking good. ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TOXIC said:

Here we go again....We can't catch a break here in the DELMARVA.  I trust DT's weather predictions but I'm still going fishing Saturday!!  

Just watch the weather and wind.

 

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry too much. Hurricanes look pretty weak so far this year.

Miami_LSU.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SDoolittle said:

I wouldn't worry too much. Hurricanes look pretty weak so far this year.

Miami_LSU.jpg

Dat dare is funny. :eyebrows:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sam said:

You have got to be kidding. Big storm heading for east coast. All living in the area to be hit be sure to watch your local TV weather reports.

 

ATTENTION SPECIAL STATEMENT ON HURRICANE FLORENCE and 18z GFS

Image may contain: drawing
Image may contain: text

Hate to say it, but as I was reading the forecast I noticed he had Hurricane

Isabel in 1993... NO!! I remember her very well. Home repairs never let me

forget. The commenters pointed the error(s) out to him, as well.

 

In the mean time, I HOPE HOPE HOPE Florence and the companions following

her off the coast of Africa all stay out to sea!! The Conga Line of tropical waves

is not encouraging.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My earliest memory was Hurricane Audrey, formed June 25, 1957, dissipated June 29, 1957.

 

Audrey was one of the deadliest tropical cyclones in U.S. history, as well as the strongest June hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, tied with Hurricane Alex in 2010. The rapidly developing storm struck southwestern Louisiana as a powerful Category 3 hurricane, destroying coastal communities with a powerful storm surge that penetrated as far as 20 mi.

 

The death toll from Audrey was over 500, other estimates indicated that the death toll amounted to 390, including 263 identified and 127 unidentified persons. An additional 192 people were reported as missing. The National Weather Service report on the most impactful tropical cyclones in the United States lists Audrey as having caused at least 416 fatalities, with an additional 15 killed in Canada.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really has me upset.

 

Thursday, September 6, 2018, 5:30 PM

Wxrisk.com

ALERT ! MASSIVE CHANGES IN 12z EURO ENSEMBLE = INCREASING THREAT FOR NC VC MD S EPT 14

WxRISK IS NOW IN STORM MODE...

No automatic alt text available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Catt said:

My earliest memory was Hurricane Audrey, formed June 25, 1957, dissipated June 29, 1957.

 

Audrey was one of the deadliest tropical cyclones in U.S. history, as well as the strongest June hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, tied with Hurricane Alex in 2010. The rapidly developing storm struck southwestern Louisiana as a powerful Category 3 hurricane, destroying coastal communities with a powerful storm surge that penetrated as far as 20 mi.

 

The death toll from Audrey was over 500, other estimates indicated that the death toll amounted to 390, including 263 identified and 127 unidentified persons. An additional 192 people were reported as missing. The National Weather Service report on the most impactful tropical cyclones in the United States lists Audrey as having caused at least 416 fatalities, with an additional 15 killed in Canada.

I read a very interesting story about a family that survived Audrey.They were on Little Chenier and got washed and blown in a boat 12 miles inland to the intracoastal canal before getting on board a tugboat. Thier whole family survived but tragically lost some  friends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sam said:

This really has me upset.

 

Thursday, September 6, 2018, 5:30 PM

Wxrisk.com

ALERT ! MASSIVE CHANGES IN 12z EURO ENSEMBLE = INCREASING THREAT FOR NC VC MD S EPT 14

WxRISK IS NOW IN STORM MODE...

No automatic alt text available.

Awww crap. Those models are too much in agreement. I HATE that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N Florida Mike said:

I read a very interesting story about a family that survived Audrey.They were on Little Chenier and got washed and blown in a boat 12 miles inland to the intracoastal canal before getting on board a tugboat. Thier whole family survived but tragically lost some  friends.

 

http://www.hurricanescience.org/history/storms/1950s/audrey/

 

There are some uncertainties about the true strength of the hurricane. Though officially the top wind speed is 233 km/h (145 mph), other unofficial reports exist. One report from an offshore oilrig indicates wind speeds of up to 290 km/h (180 mph).

 

The storm was able to re-strengthen as it moved through the Ohio River Valley as a function of extratropical processes. Winds as high as 161 km/h (100 mph) were reported at Jamestown, New York. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 6 years old when Camille hit mississippi. My aunt and me listened on an old a.m radio as the storm approached the coast. I can still remember the fear and awe in the weathermans voice , who was somewhere in that vicinity.

Until recently, I had not been too familiar with audrey but it was truly horrible.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×