Beetlebz

Heading out tonight... tips?

I'm going out tonight around 7 for the first time ever putting in a solid concerted effort to do some night fishing.

What should I try?  I'm going to Texas Rig up a 10-inch Power Worm, a weightless senko style bait, what else? Jig? Frog? Plopper? Popper? Squarebill? I'm open to suggestions and thanks in advance!

Buzzbait, jitterbug,jigs, and spinnerbait. All these are proven on night bass. Along with your Texas rig, should get it done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you have better luck then me I’ve thrown all those lately at night with little success. When all else fails I’ve gone back to a small square bill fished slow over the tops of the weeds a small bass square bill to be exact. Good luck. 

Just now, Derek1 said:

I hope you have better luck then me I’ve thrown all those lately at night with little success. When all else fails I’ve gone back to a small square bill fished slow over the tops of the weeds a small bass square bill to be exact. Good luck. 

We were supposed to have really low Skies and heavy clouds but when I got out of work late at 9 a.m. we had high skies and 0 clouds so I didn't go this morning. Late tomorrow morning we have thunderstorms moving in so I'm hoping tonight and tomorrow morning the fishing will be decent

I have had luck on Buzzbaits , spinnerbaits , texas rigs and crankbaits . Rip rap banks are one of my favorite places to hit .

• Like 1

be careful

Well, I hit it. I pre-rigged a 4/0 hook for a senko, a terminator walking frog, a 1/4oz Texas rig with a 4/0 offset and a 3/8 flipping jig.

The jig got no love. The senko dif, but I kept missing bites. I'm guessing they were small, but it wasn't a slaughter fest. Switched to the frog and boom, caught a 3 pounder on the second cast. The bite wasn't really there for that either. Few more blow ups but no lands. I switched to the Texas rig on a 10" black and blue power worm. After a few casts working my way out deeper I finally hooked up, the fish just hadn't moved up yet. Caught a few a little off shore dragging the Texas rig. It wasn't until it actually got dark when the fun began. I switched to a lime colored teckel sprinker. It twisted the living heck out of my line but what a blast. Big blow ups. Below is my biggest, just shy of 4lbs. Eventually because I was fishing in total darkness I couldn't see a loose wrap on my braid spool and casted my sprinker off into the yonder. I got it back, but called it for the night. 

Thanks for the help folks!

rsz_20180905_200838.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beetlebz said:

Well, I hit it. I pre-rigged a 4/0 hook for a senko, a terminator walking frog, a 1/4oz Texas rig with a 4/0 offset and a 3/8 flipping jig.

The jig got no love. The senko dif, but I kept missing bites. I'm guessing they were small, but it wasn't a slaughter fest. Switched to the frog and boom, caught a 3 pounder on the second cast. The bite wasn't really there for that either. Few more blow ups but no lands. I switched to the Texas rig on a 10" black and blue power worm. After a few casts working my way out deeper I finally hooked up, the fish just hadn't moved up yet. Caught a few a little off shore dragging the Texas rig. It wasn't until it actually got dark when the fun began. I switched to a lime colored teckel sprinker. It twisted the living heck out of my line but what a blast. Big blow ups. Below is my biggest, just shy of 4lbs. Eventually because I was fishing in total darkness I couldn't see a loose wrap on my braid spool and casted my sprinker off into the yonder. I got it back, but called it for the night. 

Thanks for the help folks!

rsz_20180905_200838.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the report!

I use these to stop line twists and change lures quickly. 

37302714-93E7-47AB-AFF3-1B4093ABB7B6.thumb.jpeg.d609df760c5d05a7b059c7badef06f51.jpeg

• Thanks 1

There is a twilight period when the fish's eyes switch from cones to rods where they have a difficult time seeing the bait and don't seem to move around much and feed very little, usually seems to last 30 minutes to an hour. It's similar to the time when it gets dark enough that we can no longer see color and our eyes have to adjust to the darkness. The bite usually picks up after that when it's completely dark out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

There is a twilight period when the fish's eyes switch from cones to rods where they have a difficult time seeing the bait and don't seem to move around much and feed very little, usually seems to last 30 minutes to an hour. It's similar to the time when it gets dark enough that we can no longer see color and our eyes have to adjust to the darkness. The bite usually picks up after that when it's completely dark out. 

That is exactly what I observed, it makes sense for sure. Funny enough, my biggest bite of the night came during this time but it was my only bite. My senko got broke off which is certainly rare these days, but now I'm curious if it was even a bass at all. If it was a big pickerel that would explain how 8lb YZH broke like that... although full disclosure the leader has been on there for a week or two and is in desperate need of replacement. 

I have a few supplies to get, namely those fastach swivels, and I have to find a red night light that I can clip to my hat or something but I cant wait to go out again. Thanks guys!