Jump to content
BigSkyBasser

Favorite Jerkbait/Hardbait Hooks?

Recommended Posts

This year has been my breakthrough year fishing jerkbaits, and I've found that some of the higher end jerkbaits (Megabass and Lucky Craft) come with some pretty shoddy factory trebles.

 

I have experimented with the size 6 Mustad KVD Elite Series Short Triple Grip on my Vision 110 Jr. and seem to have eliminated issues with them bending out. I don't have any big enough for my Pointer Minnow and planning to buy some soon.

 

Looking for other tried and true suggestions. 

Note: I usually throw a feathered treble on the back. It seems to help entice these clear water fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your on the right track, I like a size 6 mustad with a rear feather treble as well.

 

My problem was bending out and and breaking trebles. Nothing will make you more angry when the bite is hot and you have to sit down and change out bent/broke trebles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Gamakatsu short shank ewg magic eye.

Still like the KVD option but the magic eye is very good as well.

A-Jay 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many good hook options out there these days. The thing about jerkbaits is that different hooks can change the float/sink/suspend of a bait, and because of that, I will swap out my hooks based on what I need my baits to do. Some of my go-to's are:

 

Owner ST36

Owner STX38 Zo Wire (thinner/lighter version of the ST36)

Gamakatsu Short Shake Magic Eye Round Bend

Gamakatsu TGW Nano (thinner/lighter version)

Megabass Katsauge Out barbs (spinning setups only, and DO NOT boat flip with these)

 

I prefer a shorter shank, and lighter wire, and most importantly a round bend. I feel that because a jerkbait is a bait that a fish will smack at, rather than inhale, the round bend gets me a better hook up ratio than an EWG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my thread but really good info guys! Thanks, I wanna try that owner st36 and gama ss magic eye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Gammi round bend on JBs and triple grips or short shank trebles on CBs. I usually leave the stock hooks on most lures until they need changing, except the really horrible ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiichi death traps when you want a lighter wire treble.

 

Allen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Munkin said:

Daiichi death traps when you want a lighter wire treble.

 

Allen 

 

Up here I avoid lighter wire trebles, because big pike will eat my jerkbaits often, and they will straighten those hooks out in a heart beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually owner st-36 or regular gamakatsu round bend treble hooks work just fine.

 

i agree that the hooks on the megabass and lucky craft baits are less than ideal (I heard the lucky craft hooks are vmc, but can’t confirm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BigSkyBasser said:

 

Up here I avoid lighter wire trebles, because big pike will eat my jerkbaits often, and they will straighten those hooks out in a heart beat.

I have caught 40" Tiger Musky on these and not straightened out the hooks but I see why you want something heavier.

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Munkin said:

I have caught 40" Tiger Musky on these and not straightened out the hooks but I see why you want something heavier.

 

Allen

 

Well that's proof enough for me. Strong and light wire is as good as it gets. I'll have to get a trial pack and see what I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

Owner STX38 Zo Wire

Been looking at these for my Vision 110s, is there any change to the action? (nose down)

I use ST-36 on my crankbaits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've switched all of my jerkbaits over to the TGW Nano Finesse hooks by Gamakatsu... wow. Sticky sharp doesn't even begin to describe them. I used to use the Owner ST-36, it's an awesome hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of Mustad KVD's, but since trying Gamakatsu TGW hooks and Magic eye hooks, my Mustads have been given away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Megabass Katsuage Outtbarb Hooks.

Super sharp and they hold like no other hook I've tried. I use them on my lipless cranks, too. They're light, but strong so they don't alter the action/flotation characteristics of your jerkbait.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

Been looking at these for my Vision 110s, is there any change to the action? (nose down)

Honestly can't say. I use Pointers way more than I use 110's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishballer06 said:

Honestly can't say. I use Pointers way more than I use 110's.

 

My pointers seem to produce bigger bites when the fish are more aggressive. But when the bite is tough, there is NOTHING better than my 110s and 110 Jrs.

 

The problem being, I've had 2-4 pound smallmouth bending out the hooks on my Pointers, and also tearing off the split rings a couple of times. I'm not at all impressed with the hardware on Lucky Craft JBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishballer06 said:

Honestly can't say. I use Pointers way more than I use 110's.

I'm planning on re-homing the vast majority of my 'pointer collection' over the winter here in the BR Flea Market forum.

Important part of this revolves around the term "Deep Discount".

Might keep an eye out.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigSkyBasser said:

The problem being, I've had 2-4 pound smallmouth bending out the hooks on my Pointers, and also tearing off the split rings a couple of times. I'm not at all impressed with the hardware on Lucky Craft JBs.

I've never had issues with the Lucky Craft hardware/hooks. I have had lots of split rings straighten out on my Rapala jerkbaits. The Megabass Katsauge hooks bend out on me basically every time I boat flip any fish. I just can't trust those hooks unless I'm using spinning gear with lighter line and drag. 

1 hour ago, A-Jay said:

I'm planning on re-homing the vast majority of my 'pointer collection' over the winter here in the BR Flea Market forum.

Important part of this revolves around the term "Deep Discount".

Might keep an eye out.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

My adoption center is always looking to find lonely tackle a new home. ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

I've never had issues with the Lucky Craft hardware/hooks. I have had lots of split rings straighten out on my Rapala jerkbaits. The Megabass Katsauge hooks bend out on me basically every time I boat flip any fish. I just can't trust those hooks unless I'm using spinning gear with lighter line and drag. 

 

My adoption center is always looking to find lonely tackle a new home. ;)

You Sir are obviously a very selfless human . . .

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BigSkyBasser said:

 

My pointers seem to produce bigger bites when the fish are more aggressive. But when the bite is tough, there is NOTHING better than my 110s and 110 Jrs.

 

The problem being, I've had 2-4 pound smallmouth bending out the hooks on my Pointers, and also tearing off the split rings a couple of times. I'm not at all impressed with the hardware on Lucky Craft JBs.

 

What were doing when you bent out hooks and split rings?

 

Only asking because I bent a couple regular round bend gammies on square bills but it was all operator error. Improperly set drag on bigger fish in current.

 

As far as hooks for jerkbaits I like the gammie magic eye and both the light and heavier version of the TWG gammies.

 

 

Oh and A-jay; I'm a semi selfless human... ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kev-mo said:

 

What were doing when you bent out hooks and split rings?

 

Only asking because I bent a couple regular round bend gammies on square bills but it was all operator error. Improperly set drag on bigger fish in current.

 

As far as hooks for jerkbaits I like the gammie magic eye and both the light and heavier version of the TWG gammies.

 

 

Oh and A-jay; I'm a semi selfless human... ;)

 

I have my drag set pretty tight because I fish these jerkbaits on 12 Lb Flouro and like being able to horse the fish a little bit, and generally I am fishing current breaks, so I'm putting a lot of stress on these split rings for the Pointers, but that same cannot be said for the 110s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BigSkyBasser said:

 

I have my drag set pretty tight because I fish these jerkbaits on 12 Lb Flouro and like being able to horse the fish a little bit, and generally I am fishing current breaks, so I'm putting a lot of stress on these split rings for the Pointers, but that same cannot be said for the 110s.

Why would you fish with a tight drag when using treble hook jerkbaits? I catch a lot of big smallmouth using pointers & hardly ever have split ring problems. Some occasional bent hooks but that is normal with 4-7 lb smallies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dwight Hottle said:

Why would you fish with a tight drag when using treble hook jerkbaits? I catch a lot of big smallmouth using pointers & hardly ever have split ring problems. Some occasional bent hooks but that is normal with 4-7 lb smallies. 

 

The spot I fish has lot's of submerged structure. So in an effort to not lose a $15-20 jerkbait on every fish, I like to try and burn em in so they can't dive down and hang up in cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like round bend trebles because they just seem to be better all around, especially for slapping or light striking fish. Plain old Gamakatsu Round Bends, or The Gamakatsu's Short Shank Round Bend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×