Dr. Big Dog

Johnny Morris CarbonLite 2.0 Rods

I saw the CarbonLite 2.0 rods from Bass Pro for $79. They are normally $119. I’ve never used them. Is that as good a deal as it seems. 

It's an excellent deal. The CarbonLite's are great rods, especially when they're on sale.

Great deal.  I don't own the rod, but I checked them out thoroughly in person and did a lot of homework on them.  Unfortunately I pulled the trigger on 2 other rods because I'm not patient enough to wait on a sale and too stubborn to pay retail.

I do, however have a JM Titanium 8 which is no longer produced, but very similar.  It's a heck of a rod.  

I also have the Carbonlite 2.0 casting reel.  I've beat the crap out of it, but it's still going.  The whole line is extremely light.  I say go for it.  It's a good sale.  

There are a few excellent reviews on You Tube.

Ditto... I have a medium spinning rod and it is very light with great action. Money well spent. I'll end up getting another, I'm sure. 

I am up to eight Carbonlites and two Carbonlite 2.0.  They are really great rods and over looked in my opinion.  The 2.0 is really sweet with the Winn grips.  All of mine are 6'6" and 7' Med and MH fast tip and I  have 8.5:1 Curado K reels on each of the 2.0 7' MH rods, each spooled with 15lb Invizx and both for plastics. They are really light rods with the 6'6" MH coming in at 3.6-3.9oz and the 7' MH at 4.0 to 4.5oz.  None are micro guides.

I bought 3 of them, all 7'. Two casting, a MH and a M, and a spinning, M. Can't wait to try them out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnthePotomac said:

I am up to eight Carbonlites and two Carbonlite 2.0.  They are really great rods and over looked in my opinion.  The 2.0 is really sweet with the Winn grips.  All of mine are 6'6" and 7' Med and MH fast tip and I  have 8.5:1 Curado K reels on each of the 2.0 7' MH rods, each spooled with 15lb Invizx and both for plastics. They are really light rods with the 6'6" MH coming in at 3.6-3.9oz and the 7' MH at 4.0 to 4.5oz.  None are micro guides.

Was playing with them in store a few weeks ago. Seemed like good sticks, but they vary by .3 to .5 oz? IMPOSSIBLE!

I read somewhere online :) that no production rods vary by more than 3 gms,

I'm not sure how good these rod but the one I got recently seem to run heavier than what it rated. I got 7' ML 1/16-1/2oz lure weight but the tip is pretty stiff with plenty of backbone, I doubted it can cast 1/8oz let alone it rated 1/16. My 3 other rods with Lure weight 1/8oz seem to have much softer tip and can load true 1/8oz Lure better. And yes this one weight at 4.6 oz? quite heavy compare to other rods.

This rod in my opinion can pass as M rod (1/4-3/4oz) instead of ML, I might have to use this one for light Jig/Texas rig instead if sensitivity is good enough.

Weight variances from purchases over a period of four years and I assume it is a result of contents in production over time.  The two 2.0 rods purchased six months apart are 4.3oz each.  We are talking about pretty good rods here, but not Loomis.

I have 3 of these and absolutely enjoy using them.  I have a 7'6" H (for flipping and frogging), a 7' MF for cranks and a 7' ML spinning for finesse techniques.