choppertime

crankbait rod for jerkbaits

can you use a crankbait rod for jerkbaits? or is the crankbait rod to whippy for this..i have a st Croix 7' medium action crankbait rod as of right now...thanks

I have an AvidX M/Moderate crankbait rod that I love.  I have used it for jerkbaits.  Bigger jerks I throw on a MH/Fast AvidX which works out well since often during those transition periods I have a jerkbait and a crankbait tied onto different rods. 

You can, but for me a 7 ft. Is too long.

I am 6ft. 2in. Tall

I prefer a 6ft. 6in. Or 6ft 10in max.

2 to 6 inches shorter doesn't sound like much, but Any longer and my rod tip slaps the water.

I use the Randy Howell original Tatula (black and gold) 7' ML casting rod rated for 1/4-5/8oz. baits that has the short, full grip handle.  It's am impressive rod.  I also use it for cranks but it is all graphite.  For larger cranks, I use a Legend Glass 74MH.  Those OG Tatula rods are really great rods!

• Like 1

Can one use one? Yes. Would I use one? No.

• Like 1

Yes but personally I don't think it's ideal.  I have tried using a MH Fast/Mod and M Mod and both seemed odd when trying to work the bait.  I tend to like a M or MH fast that 6'6'' or 6'8'' in length with stiff feeling at the reel seat and soft tip.

• Like 1

I have done it as well, but it isnt ideal. I found it is a bit "whippy" and a bit harder to work the lure like i like, once i got better with working them on a diffrent rod.

The other problem to me is the rod length, above and below the reel. I switched to an older 6'4" med rod (mod fast to fast-ish action, it predates listing action on rods). It is easier to work jerkbaits with. It has a shorter butt, so im not hitting my belly constantly, and the shorter overall length lets me work it straight down without hitting water.