Jump to content
Matt_3479

Where does a Light or medium-light come in?

Recommended Posts

Curious where a light or medium light spinning rod is more commonly used then a medium spinning rod. Trying to narrow down which higher end rod to pick for a universal spinning rod and almost set on the nrx 852s. But while in a store I was handling the Shimano Expride 7’ light right and I can’t stop thinking about it lol. Realistically trhing to figure out an excuse to why I need both lol. Where would a rod like that play better then a medium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ML Spinning rig (Avocet) is my finesse rig. Ned, wacky, light-weight T-Rig (1/8, 1/16), etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I don't use "Light" for anything, not even my crappie fishing. I have a bunch of "ML" rods which I use for almost all my finesse fishing. I do have a couple Mediums though. Typically, and this is just a guideline, but if I'm using braid I go ML -  if I'm using straight fluoro (or mono/nylon/copoly) I go Med.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

My ML Spinning rig (Avocet) is my finesse rig. Ned, wacky, light-weight T-Rig (1/8, 1/16), etc

I can see where a ned would be nice on a medium light but the rest I fish with a medium. Is it just more fun fighting the fish on the medium light or something?

15 minutes ago, Team9nine said:

Personally, I don't use "Light" for anything, not even my crappie fishing. I have a bunch of "ML" rods which I use for almost all my finesse fishing. I do have a couple Mediums though. Typically, and this is just a guideline, but if I'm using braid I go ML -  if I'm using straight fluoro (or mono/nylon/copoly) I go Med.

It’s actually a light+ which is rated like a medium-light. 3/32-7/16oz Baits. It’s actually a wicked feeling rod, but most mediums are in the 1/8-1/2oz range and can’t see having to own both, other then the fact I want both. Just trying to see where a medium light or the light+ might fit better then a medium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matt_3479 said:

I can see where a ned would be nice on a medium light but the rest I fish with a medium. Is it just more fun fighting the fish on the medium light or something?

That's most of it - another part is that I seem to feel hits more often with the ML than the M when fishing lighter lures.

 

My Trion rig (M/F) is relegated to heavier lures - smaller crank/jerk (to 3/8 oz), T-rigs to 3/8 oz, etc. Larger than that, I switch to my BC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fight is fun in a medium light rod, but if you're near any cover or weeds a medium power is much better in my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use light rods for Brook trout. Medium Light rods for trout (moderate or moderate fast action) and bass (fast, extra-fast action) with ned rigs/Dropshot setups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically what I’m seeing here the 7’1 nrx 852 medium rated for 1/8-3/8oz will do everything I need so to get the expride 7’ light+ (medium-light) 3/32-7/16oz wouldn’t be too useful but fun? I just got the glx 822s dsr and only need like 2 spinning rods so was going for the 852. But can’t seem to get the 7’ medium and the 7’ lite expride out of my mind. They just felt so nice and trying to find where they fit in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like your getting it anyway. So get it and have fun, if you like it you’ll find somewhere it fits in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Derek1 said:

Sounds like your getting it anyway. So get it and have fun, if you like it you’ll find somewhere it fits in. 

Haha not quite. 852 comes first and then an 893 I believe. They just felt so nice and the 7’ medium would be too close to the 852 so I was trying to see if the light+ would actually fill a niche or am I just wasting my time. Like I said it would be the nrx 852 and the glx 822 dsr. So I’m not sure if it will be just as waste of time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on where you fish. I have a lot of spots by me that are either small wadable rivers or manmade ponds with little cover, so I get a lot of use out of L and ML rods both casting and spinning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a M/F spinning, and while it can do the finesse role, I'll probably use it more as a general purpose rod and use a ML/F for finesse (neds, weightless worms, drop shot). As far as L/F goes, I use that only for panfish. It just feels too light for bass.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 6' ML spinner I use for throwing 3/8oz and under tube jigs and grubs for smallmouth.  I also have a 7'6" light Kokanee baitcast rod I use for throwing small Hot n Tots, Wee Wigglers, smaller Mepps, and Little Cleos for browns and brookies.  That rod has quite the backbone, no trouble landing the smallmouth that like to interfere with my trout fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good observations here already.

 

Things I try to remember.

 

One is that most people, me included, tend to err on the side of rods about one power up from where they ought to be. This is especially true of kayak anglers. So, if I think an MH is called for, I find an M often better. A second thing is related to the first and that is if you use a spinning rod the way it is supposed to be operated, you want a rod that really loads up for the size fish you are targeting. I want a good solid, deep bend in my rods. For example, I could use an M powered rod for bluegills but I use ultra-lights. It just isn't the same, seems less fun, less sporting to use something too heavy. I suppose a third one I don't forget but I think most people overlook is that a lighter powered rod fighting a large fish will actually bend deeper, creates a shorter lift point, thus a shorter lever, and will actually create less force on the angler's hand (fulcrum) than a power up.The harder a fish pulls, the better leverage an angler is given. So, when you are fighting a big fish, say you are in an area where you are most often targeting and catching 1 to 3 lbs. bass and a 5 pounder jumps aboard, an M power will load up deeper than a MH and make it easier on the angler, not harder.

 

There are, for sure, issues related to hook setting where the faster distribution of power down the line makes a difference, but for most finesse fishing, that isn't so much an issue as the fish are more involved in the hook sets, the size of our hooks are often lighter.

 

Brad

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, haggard said:

I have a M/F spinning, and while it can do the finesse role, I'll probably use it more as a general purpose rod and use a ML/F for finesse (neds, weightless worms, drop shot). As far as L/F goes, I use that only for panfish. It just feels too light for bass.

Caught a pike with light Rod and a mepps #0. Was fun :)

6 minutes ago, Brad Reid said:

Good observations here already.

 

Things I try to remember.

 

One is that most people, me included, tend to err on the side of rods about one power up from where they ought to be. This is especially true of kayak anglers. So, if I think an MH is called for, I find an M often better. A second thing is related to the first and that is if you use a spinning rod the way it is supposed to be operated, you want a rod that really loads up for the size fish you are targeting. I want a good solid, deep bend in my rods. For example, I could use an M powered rod for bluegills but I use ultra-lights. It just isn't the same, seems less fun, less sporting to use something too heavy. I suppose a third one I don't forget but I think most people overlook is that a lighter powered rod fighting a large fish will actually bend deeper, creates a shorter lift point, thus a shorter lever, and will actually create less force on the angler's hand (fulcrum) than a power up.The harder a fish pulls, the better leverage an angler is given. So, when you are fighting a big fish, say you are in an area where you are most often targeting and catching 1 to 3 lbs. bass and a 5 pounder jumps aboard, an M power will load up deeper than a MH and make it easier on the angler, not harder.

 

There are, for sure, issues related to hook setting where the faster distribution of power down the line makes a difference, but for most finesse fishing, that isn't so much an issue as the fish are more involved in the hook sets, the size of our hooks are often lighter.

 

Brad

This☝️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a MH, a M, and 2 ML spinning rods. I'm mainly targeting river Smallmouth but regularly catch walleye, pike, LM, perch, rock bass and the occasional musky.

 

Over the last few years, I've transitioned from mainly using the MH rod down to the ML rods for 60% of my fishing. Then the M and MH being more presentation specific.

 

My 610mlxf St Croix Legend Tournament Bass rod is my favorite rod by a long shot! I'll rig tubes, craws, baby bizz bugs, wacky rigs, small topwaters, finesse jigs and Ned rigs on it. 

 

I run #15 Power Pro Super Slick in Hi-Vis yellow with a #10 Sunline Sniper FC leader. Honestly, that's a bit heavier than I need to go even, but with those occasional pike and musky in the current.... I play it safe. Never had a situation where I felt the "heavier" line cost me bites.

 

But that's MY style, for MY waters, and MY region. That won't apply to everyone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brad Reid said:

 For example, I could use an M powered rod for bluegills but I use ultra-lights. It just isn't the same, seems less fun, less sporting to use something too heavy.

Brad

^^^This is the key for me.  All of Brad's points are excellent, but this one especially.  I fish for panfish when the bass aren't hitting and use a 6'6" ultralight that makes casting a lighter jig or spinner (e.g., panther martin) much easier.  The ultralight makes catching panfish or small trout much more enjoyable, and also makes accidental hook ups with a bass or northern pike a blast.  

One other thing to keep in mind; if you are using ultralight gear, it's important that you have a good reel and your drag is set properly, so you will be able to effectively fight and land the fish.

Best of luck in your decision Matt, I think that if you eventually decide to go with a UL or light action set up, you will find an application for it and really enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Medium I use for finesse-y type lures without open hooks (texas rigged drop shot, light jigs, etc) medium light for open hook presentations (wacky rig, open hook drop shot, neko rig)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all of my spinning is done with medium power rods but I do use light and medium light spinning rods.  I use the L / ML for ned rigs and hair jigs, basically anything with an open hook. My light rod is a G.Loomis Bronzeback 811S, it is a 1 power rod rated as a light but is closer to ML, it has a fast tip section with a pretty powerful backbone. My ML was what I use for small tubes and Ned rigs, a St. Croix Avid X 7' ML-F but the Loomis covers them as well and the slight difference in power is made up in the Loomis having a faster action and getting into the backbone faster while the Avid X was a bit more parabolic. The thing is there is no industry standard so look at the rod ratings, my ML Avid X is rated 1/8 to 3/8 while my 1 power Loomis is rated 1/8oz to 5/16oz, not much different yet one is ML and the other is light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

I was handling the Shimano Expride

Keep in mind that each rod model (not just manufacturer) will determine what a "medium" or "medium-light" feels like in real life.  I use a medium/extra fast Powell rod for Ned Rigs and really small stuff and I absolutely love it.  It's 1/8-1/2oz but it fishes much more like a ML than a M.  It's quite a learning curve to learn to throw a 1/15 Shroomz with a TRD using an XF tip, but the sensitivity and feel was worth the practice.  The odd thing is, I have a Powell MH/F that is in no way, shape, or form a MH.  That sucker is a H or Mag H but it's spectacular for frogs.  So one Powell fishes a little lighter than it's rating and the other Powell fishes much heavier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BigAngus752 said:

Keep in mind that each rod model (not just manufacturer) will determine what a "medium" or "medium-light" feels like in real life.  I use a medium/extra fast Powell rod for Ned Rigs and really small stuff and I absolutely love it.  It's 1/8-1/2oz but it fishes much more like a ML than a M.  It's quite a learning curve to learn to throw a 1/15 Shroomz with a TRD using an XF tip, but the sensitivity and feel was worth the practice.  The odd thing is, I have a Powell MH/F that is in no way, shape, or form a MH.  That sucker is a H or Mag H but it's spectacular for frogs.  So one Powell fishes a little lighter than it's rating and the other Powell fishes much heavier.  

Oh I hear you there! My seirra 734 is a heavy that is absolutely just a medium heavy, and my kistler medium heavy is at best a light medium heavy. I’ve handled a few st. Croix medium-lights (610mlxf) in particular and loved the feel but ended up purchasing the glx 822s dsr. But while looking to fill the medium spinning rod (852) I stumbled across the expride medium and the expride light+ (definately a medium light rod) but it was just so light and well balanced I loved both of them. But being set on the 852 I don’t need the medium so trying to figure out if the light+ will finish the spinning rods off nicely for me or just kind of be a waste with the 852 and 822

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×