Jump to content
Jonny15678

Lures weights

Recommended Posts

So I’ve been confused for the longest time on lure weights. I do know that the higher number for crankbaits Example- 3/8 is lighter than the smaller numbers 1/2 which is heavier. But when it comes to jigs I didn’t realize the smaller number is heavier. So my rod is rated at 3/4-1/4oz. With jigs do I just go backwards so the heaviest my rod can handle with a jig is a 3/4oz and the lightest it can handle is a 1/4oz jig? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This took me a bit to decode but...

 

1/2 = 4/8 so yes, it's heavier than a 3/8 (fractions)

 

And yes, the lightest rating for that rod is 1/4 (2/8) and the heaviest is 3/4 (6/8)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why they listed it backwards but yes, it just means your rods ideal lure range is 1/4-3/4oz. You may be able to go slightly one way or the other of that range, but don't push it too far. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jonny15678 said:

Now if I want to use bullet weights I can use 1/4,3/8,1/2 and 3/4oz correct?

And everything in between with a little leeway.  3/16 to 7/8 isn't out of the question though I'd probably not go for the 7/8 on that rod personally...I'd pull out my heavy rod - 3/8 to 1.5.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made this for a friend.  Others might find it useful in the future.

 

1/16

1/8

3/16

1/4

5/16

3/8

7/16

1/2

9/16

5/8

11/16

3/4

13/16

7/8

15/16

1 oz

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen these questions here before. Stretch out a tape measure. Each increment fraction is heavier going left to right. Sounds like your rod is rated 1/4 to 3/4. These are suggested weights for your rod. Don't go over 3/4 too much and you should be fine. A tape measure can help folks get a visual on fractions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind, if you use a 3/4 oz bullet weight your probably pretty close to 1oz after you add the weight of hook and lure. Some of those plastics can be pretty heavy. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lead Head said:

Keep in mind, if you use a 3/4 oz bullet weight your probably pretty close to 1oz after you add the weight of hook and lure. Some of those plastics can be pretty heavy. 

Good point that sometimes gets overlooked. 

 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mobasser said:

I've seen these questions here before. Stretch out a tape measure. Each increment fraction is heavier going left to right. Sounds like your rod is rated 1/4 to 3/4. These are suggested weights for your rod. Don't go over 3/4 too much and you should be fine. A tape measure can help folks get a visual on fractions.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lead Head said:

Keep in mind, if you use a 3/4 oz bullet weight your probably pretty close to 1oz after you add the weight of hook and lure. Some of those plastics can be pretty heavy. 

 

It's the same with jigs 😉

 

Ya got 3/4 oz head, 5/0 hook, skirt, rubber band or wire, weedguard. & Trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Revival said:

Made this for a friend.  Others might find it useful in the future.

 

1/16

1/8

3/16

1/4

5/16

3/8

7/16

1/2

9/16

5/8

11/16

3/4

13/16

7/8

15/16

1 oz

All the people who are bad at fractions have liked your post :wink3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×