Jump to content
LCG

Big game mono memory 10lb vs 15lb

Recommended Posts

Wondering if any of you have any experience with big game mono in various test lbs? Specifically 10,12,15lb line and spool memory or coiling. Is the lighter line easier to handle on casting gear? 

 

I ask because I recently spooled up with 15lb big game and the memory is a little more than I would like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The larger the diameter the more memory it will have.

10 lb = .012D

12 lb = .014D

15 lb = .015D

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The less you fish the more memory it will have.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catt said:

The less you fish the more memory it will have.

 

 

I wish I had more memory ~

#CRS

:huh7:

A-Jay

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catt said:

The less you fish the more memory it will have.

 

 

For sure..... If it sits for any period of time or gets baked on a boat, the memory can get pretty bad.  This is one line that can definitely benefit from line conditioner.  Other than that, it is great cheap line.  If you fish a lot and feel the need to change line often,  this might be your go to line. 

 

As far as poundage goes, the heavier the line, the more memory it will have and all big game in time will develop it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FishTank said:

For sure..... If it sits for any period of time or gets baked on a boat, the memory can get pretty bad.  This is one line that can definitely benefit from line conditioner.  Other than that, it is great cheap line.  If you fish a lot and feel the need to change line often,  this might be your go to line. 

 

As far as poundage goes, the heavier the line, the more memory it will have and all big game in time will develop it. 

 

I tried KVD's Lure & Line conditioner, threw it in the trash!

 

At Big Game's price I just change out 😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

I tried KVD's Lure & Line conditioner, threw it in the trash!

 

At Big Game's price I just change out 😉

:thumbsup1:  

 

I have a like and dislike for the KVD stuff.  It works only if you shake the bottle and store/use it at room temp.  Take it on a hot boat and it's useless.  I would spray it before I would go out when needed, just one or two pumps and that's it.  I found that if you either change out the line often enough or use a good quality line, you really don't need it.  I do like that it does make the line limper on spinning gear but it is short lived.  It does increase casting distance but again the benefit is marginal.  It's not exactly snake oil but it's no miracle cure either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nylon monofilament line is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water and is affected by cold temperatures that tend to stiffen all mono or copolymer lines. 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FishTank What I didn't like was after a couple uses it removed the "shine" off the line which I believe aint helping!

 

That was on both Big Game & Seaguar fluorocarbon 😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic but related; I started using Tangle Free back in the 80's on Maxima line do to its high memory and still use it now. In fact I will not use FC line without Tangle Free added as need throughout the day.

Punisher Lures now carries Tangle Free line conditioner, it's a liquide in 2 oz sqweeze bottle that fits in your pocket.

Tom

PS, you can use LPS silicone spray if the ordor doesn't bother you, we used on off shore 30 to 50 lb mono to improve casting distance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try 15# McCoy Mean Green, 14# Silver Thread AN40, Sufix Siege or Sunline Super Natural.  All should have less memory than Big Game.  No doubt there are others.  Especially in the more expensive lines...which I haven't tried.  Sufix Elite handles very well.  I have a feeling it is more often thought of for use with spinning reels, but I have had some 12# spooled on one of my favorite reels for awhile.  Still handles well.

 

As others have mentioned one of the best ways to keep memory down is to constantly keep the line in use.  Something I'm sure we all wish for.  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, new2BC4bass said:

Try 15# McCoy Mean Green, 14# Silver Thread AN40, Sufix Siege or Sunline Super Natural.  All should have less memory than Big Game.  No doubt there are others.

 

Tried all of them & none has any less memory.

 

Memory is inherent with mono & fluro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

Memory is inherent with mono & fluro

True.  But there is no getting around the fact that some handle better than others after sitting on a reel unused for weeks or months at a time.  My daughter complained of the 12# Platinum I originally put on her first and only casting reel.  No complaints from her since spooling on 12# Siege.

 

Personally I use quite a bit of Big Game in 8# and 12#.  First couple casts with 12# Big Game sees a few loose coils on the spool.  The 12# Siege will look like a slinky between the first eye and the front of the reel (and is pretty in Neon Tangerine :D), but the line on the spool remains good.  No problem once the lines get wet.

 

I dare anyone to let Elite or AN40 sit for three weeks, try it against Platinum or CXX that has sat for the same amount of time and tell me they can't tell a difference.  If they can't, then I'd be suspect of anything else they told me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well back to the original questions 😉

 

13 hours ago, LCG said:

Wondering if any of you have any experience with big game mono in various test lbs? Specifically 10,12,15lb line and spool memory or coiling

 

Yes, I have quite a bit of experience with 12, 15, 17, & 20 lb test.

 

13 hours ago, LCG said:

Is the lighter line easier to handle on casting gear

 

Not only is the lighter line easier handling you will feel bites better.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Catt said:

Not only is the lighter line easier handling you will feel bites better.

I didn't realize lighter line was more sensitive. I think I'm going to go back to big game after using Seaguar flourocarbon for a while. I really don't notice much of a difference but the Seaguar is much more expensive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

I really don't notice much of a difference but the Seaguar is much more expensive.

 

Don't tell me that!

 

I just bought a spool of Invizx 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 5 of my PB bass listed were caught on mono line, 4 on Big game 10 & 12 lb green, 1 on XT 12 lb. Smaller diameter line casts easier and longer distance with less drag going though the water. I use 15, 17 &20 lb Big Game for my night fishing, don't need the smaller dia's at night, shorter casts and the bass tend to be tighter to cover.

Tom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

Don't tell me that!

 

I just bought a spool of Invizx 😉

Ha, I think you'll notice a difference, but I don't have enough experience to really appreciate a really good line; I've tried all kinds and they're all the same to me. The one thing I've noticed about the Seaguar is that it's strong and very abrasion resistant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

The one thing I've noticed about the Seaguar is that it's strong and very abrasion resistant

 

Good cause it's 17# & going on my jig rod 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

Good cause it's 17# & going on my jig rod 😉

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WRB said:

Nylon monofilament line is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water and is affected by cold temperatures that tend to stiffen all mono or copolymer lines. 

Tom

So this is something that actually stiffens in cold weather??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catt said:

Tried all of them & none has any less memory.

 

Memory is inherent with mono & fluro

You found McCoy to have the same memory as Big Game?

McCoy copolymer has the least amount of memory I have ever seen in copolymer or mono line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sam said:

So this is something that actually stiffens in cold weather??????

Think about extremes 40 degrees vs 80 degrees, mono with absorbed water is going to be more flexible when it's warm vs cold. In cold temps line acts like springs in warm temps it's more flexible.

Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used 15lb Big Game on my baitcasting bass reels for years, so I bought a spool of 10lb for my spinning reels.

On cold mornings I have to make short casts until the line limbers up.  If I don't I will get a bunch of line twist and a birdnest or two. 

I usually don't fish with the same spinning reel each week, so even when it's warm out I need to limber up the line before I can make long casts or I'll get backlashes.

@WRB and @Catt are both dead on about the memory.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waymont said:

You found McCoy to have the same memory as Big Game?

McCoy copolymer has the least amount of memory I have ever seen in copolymer or mono line.

 

Not the same but not much better & considering with McCoy I lose abrasive resistance which is more important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×