LSU Fan

Effect does finding rod spine

I have heard and read various statements concerning the spine of rod blanks, whether it effects the actions of a finished rod when Largemouth Bass fishing. 

It isn't something I worry about. I build on the straightest axis, preferring my rods to curve up or down and not left or right. I've built on the spine before, in either direction and never noticed any difference one way or another. Some builders still build on the spine but many do not.

Spine may affect a rod if you only fish it on one axis.  I build on straightest axis with the curve tip up.

On super heavy offshore rods, it may make a difference to build on spine.  I think it's negligible on most freshwater rods.

Lots of spine myths out there even though it was proven bull pucky 40 or more years ago, the simplest explanation I can think of is you build the rod on the spine and line the components right down the line on your bass casting rod. Now you pick up your finished rod and prepare to cast, what position is your hand when you cast? 

What position are the guides in now? What did you really accomplish now your casting with the guides off to the side? What about during a side cast,  or wrist flip cast?

I don’t give blank spine any consideration at all. It’s an irrelevant anomaly of blank manufacturing. If anything, building on the spine makes the rod least powerful deadlift wise. 

I remember reading on another forum that said where you put the rod guides on the rod spine supposedly affects the performance of the rod. People on that forum where rod builders and they also said that you cannot use a casting blank for a spinning rod. Responses seem to be different on this forum and many members here say its ok to use a casting blank for a spinning rod. 

36 minutes ago, soflabasser said:

.....and they also said that you cannot use a casting blank for a spinning rod. Responses seem to be different on this forum and many members here say its ok to use a casting blank for a spinning rod. 

Yeah.  The blank isn't smart enough to know what you're using it for.  Lots of fly to spin conversions and spey to float rods out there.  Blanks are labeled spinning ir casting based on certain tapers or actions.  For years, my favorite dropshot rod was a mlxf casting blank built as a spinning rod.  It was a touch more powerful than the spinning model.

1 hour ago, soflabasser said:

I remember reading on another forum that said where you put the rod guides on the rod spine supposedly affects the performance of the rod. People on that forum where rod builders and they also said that you cannot use a casting blank for a spinning rod. Responses seem to be different on this forum and many members here say its ok to use a casting blank for a spinning rod. 

Think of it like technique specific rods, the labels are just a suggestion. 

15 hours ago, soflabasser said:

I remember reading on another forum that said where you put the rod guides on the rod spine supposedly affects the performance of the rod. People on that forum where rod builders and they also said that you cannot use a casting blank for a spinning rod. Responses seem to be different on this forum and many members here say its ok to use a casting blank for a spinning rod

This advice is totally wrong.     There are still a lot of myths about rod building, but these two, spine and spin/cast crossover with blanks, have generally been debunked.  Many years ago.

When I first started building rods I always found the spine. I read and was taught (I may have this backwards) that the spine was the "strong" side and opposite was weaker. On a casting rod you would put the guides on the spine side if you were using the rod as a worm or jig rod. There would be less "give" and a more solid hookset. Conversely, if you set the guides on the opposite side it would be best used as a crankbait/spinnerbait type rod.

I've bought a few rods and just for the heck of it I found the spine and noticed that none of them had guides installed along or opposite and the rod still performed well. I now save myself the time of finding the spine and now do what others on here do.