Bdnoble84

Spinnerbait wire forming

I started making my own wireforms for spinnerbaits but i am running into an issue of the wire not being very straight once molded. It appears they are going to be hard to tune. Issues include the are bend being off alignment, wire out of alignment from hook. A bow in the wire. I am using afw hi seas coiled wire size 15. I will probably order premade forms in future, but for now i want to make this wire work. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Make a jig by placing nails in some wood , where you want the bends to be . This will keep it flat .Once you get it how you like it all your forms will be identical . I did it with buzzbaits .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scaleface said:

Make a jig by placing nails in some wood , where you want the bends to be . This will keep it flat .Once you get it how you like it all your forms will be identical . I did it with buzzbaits .

This is how I do it.

I started with a jig, but felt like it was easier after i got going to just use the round nose pliers. I think part of the main issue i have is i feel like the wire has a bend to it from being coiled up and i was wondering how to deal with that/ straighten out the wire before beginning

• Like 1

When I was making spinner baits, I found wire that came in straight pieces instead of a coil. That helped getting a straight, finished bait.

21 minutes ago, Scott F said:

When I was making spinner baits, I found wire that came in straight pieces instead of a coil. That helped getting a straight, finished bait.

That is what i am thinking i will do next run, just wanted to see if there were any tricks you guys had in the meantime. Tuning some of these will be a pain. Oh well. Live and learn.

2 hours ago, Jigfishn10 said:

I can't really say that I had that much problems unless I really mangled the wire during fabrication.:)

This probably has something to do with it as well as i had never bent wire for lures before so i was learning by trial and error

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bdnoble84 said:

This probably has something to do with it as well as i had never bent wire for lures before so i was learning by trial and error

Are you using round nose pliers? I make the jig if I'm making multiple baits and want uniformity, but I need a couple of different pliers to "clean up" the bends. The R-Bend is a bend that needs "cleaning up". Usually you're making an overlapping bend and pulling back with the tag end to complete the arm.

As far as the natural curvature of the wire from the coil is concerned, I really don't worry about it, the bends on bass lure are minimal. Not gonna lie here, I do tune up the lure prior to use.

Good luck, would love to see some of your creations.  

This one started out as an inline but, as usual, my mind got carried away. Turns out to be a great multi-species bait. It flat out bird dogs fish:

906588998_DblColorado1.JPG.fc6119504c0d4127487115f50d7941b3.JPG

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Jigfishn10 said:

Are you using round nose pliers? I make the jig if I'm making multiple baits and want uniformity, but I need a couple of different pliers to "clean up" the bends. The R-Bend is a bend that needs "cleaning up". Usually you're making an overlapping bend and pulling back with the tag end to complete the arm.

As far as the natural curvature of the wire from the coil is concerned, I really don't worry about it, the bends on bass lure are minimal. Not gonna lie here, I do tune up the lure prior to use.

Good luck, would love to see some of your creations.  

This one started out as an inline but, as usual, my mind got carried away. Turns out to be a great multi-species bait. It flat out bird dogs fish:

906588998_DblColorado1.JPG.fc6119504c0d4127487115f50d7941b3.JPG

Yes, i am using round ose pliers. I think practice will help considerably for me. I definitely share your creativity. Its impossible for me to stick with a pattern for multiple baits because my mind will go off on tangents and i will end up doing something completely different by 3rd bait. 

Ill be sure to post as i create more.

I use coiled wire to make spinners, beetle spin frames, mini A-rigs (and sometimes snaps to show off). I have a bunch from salt water fishing. What I find works (besides practice) is to cut the wire to the length you need, and then straighten it between thumb and index finger. Once straight, the trick is to bend it in 2 dimensions (flat) which can be accomplished with a jig or by paying attention as you go. The more you do it, the easier it gets, until it becomes second nature. If you are going to make a bunch, it's probably worth (ha) it to get a bender.

• Like 1

Is there a reason you are hand bending them versus just buying the pre-bent ones?

Allen

Mostly because i’d never made a spinnerbait before and i like to do things the difficult way i guess. I’m sure next time ill buy prebent forms. I was able to make my first inline spinners though also. I kind of had that in mind when i bought the wire

• Like 1