Matt_3479

Yikes! Help with high end rod choice!!

So I decided to sell my dobyns 734c and to replace it with a 7’2” medium heavy expride. Now I have a buddy who wants it just waiting for him too return from vacation. I was contacted by a gentleman I purchased a few rods off of last year and he’s got a conquest 903c at an unbelievable price.

what I’m looking to do with the rod is paddletails, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, larger topwater. Still a couple hundred more then the expride but half price of a new conquest?

I'm not sure what you're asking but those aren't techniques that require a top dollar, high end rod. If money is no issue, go for it but I reserve my top rod money for techniques that require sensitivity and benefit from a high modulus lightweight rod. Not sure that helps but I wouldn't use a Conquest for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and topwaters.

• Like 4

7'6" is pretty long (but I like shorter rods) and Jrob is right. You really don't need endgame sensitivity for those techniques. I think the Expride would serve you well for the techniques you've listed, and save you a couple hundred as well. And, not that this matters for actual fishing, but, Exprides are really sexy rods...

14 minutes ago, Jrob78 said:

I'm not sure what you're asking but those aren't techniques that require a top dollar, high end rod. If money is no issue, go for it but I reserve my top rod money for techniques that require sensitivity and benefit from a high modulus lightweight rod. Not sure that helps but I wouldn't use a Conquest for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and topwaters.

10 minutes ago, bwjay said:

7'6" is pretty long (but I like shorter rods) and Jrob is right. You really don't need endgame sensitivity for those techniques. I think the Expride would serve you well for the techniques you've listed, and save you a couple hundred as well. And, not that this matters for actual fishing, but, Exprides are really sexy rods...

Hahaha I totally agree. It’s more so I have an issue and just nice things. The expride would be bought new from a store (Canada) so running me 430. Main purpose is paddletails, chatterbaits, then double down for my whopper ploppers once in a while. 

The conquest goes for 900-1100 new and this ones new this year and can  get it for 600 out the door so it’s the only reason I’m debating it. With being an mbr taper I figure it would make a nice moving bait rod, and double down for deeper water bottom contact 

Well, if you can re-sell it easily for the same price, and know 7'6" isn't too long for you, then there isn't too much risk. You can always get the Expride brand new, and maybe find one used as well in the future. If it turns out that the Conquest doesn't quite fit the bill, or you see a good pride on the Expride and decide to buy it and compare it to the Conquest, and find that it does what you want for less money, then you can re-sell the Conquest with a tiny loss (probably). I know the sensible decision is to get the Expride, but I am very familiar with knowing that.. well.. the heart wants what it wants.

2 minutes ago, Matt_3479 said:

Hahaha I totally agree. It’s more so I have an issue and just nice things. The expride would be bought new from a store (Canada) so running me 430. Main purpose is paddletails, chatterbaits, then double down for my whopper ploppers once in a while. 

The conquest goes for 900-1100 new and this ones new this year and can  get it for 600 out the door so it’s the only reason I’m debating it. With being an mbr taper I figure it would make a nice moving bait rod, and double down for deeper water bottom contact 

For me the 903c would be a t-rig, light jig rod and maybe paddle tail swimbaits from your list. I'm not a fan of mag bass tapers for most moving baits. If I were you I would buy the 903 since the price is right and find a different use for it.

I would buy the Expride 7'2" med hvy glass for your spinnerbait, chatterbaits, topwaters and also some crankbaits. Of course rod action is personal preference and like bwjay said, if you take care of it you can easily resell it if it doesn't work for you. So I guess my advice is buy 2 rods. 😁  

21 minutes ago, bwjay said:

Well, if you can re-sell it easily for the same price, and know 7'6" isn't too long for you, then there isn't too much risk. You can always get the Expride brand new, and maybe find one used as well in the future. If it turns out that the Conquest doesn't quite fit the bill, or you see a good pride on the Expride and decide to buy it and compare it to the Conquest, and find that it does what you want for less money, then you can re-sell the Conquest with a tiny loss (probably). I know the sensible decision is to get the Expride, but I am very familiar with knowing that.. well.. the heart wants what it wants.

14 minutes ago, Jrob78 said:

For me the 903c would be a t-rig, light jig rod and maybe paddle tail swimbaits from your list. I'm not a fan of mag bass tapers for most moving baits. If I were you I would buy the 903 since the price is right and find a different use for it.

I would buy the Expride 7'2" med hvy glass for your spinnerbait, chatterbaits, topwaters and also some crankbaits. Of course rod action is personal preference and like bwjay said, if you take care of it you can easily resell it if it doesn't work for you. So I guess my advice is buy 2 rods. 😁  

Haha well thank you guys! I’m going post another thread asking just about the 903c and see what everyone’s thoughts are just on the rod, and what they like it for. I totally agree the expride is more then I need but I’ve been so curious on the conquests. I always said I’d never buy one cause of the price. At almost 1000-1100 new it’s ridiculous, I mean my nrx’s costed me 750 and I thought that was wild. But for 600 it seems tough to pass

So what is it you don't like about the Dobyns 734C?

Tom

WRB I was wondering the same thing.

5 hours ago, WRB said:

Tom

I’m not 100% sure to be honest with you. I think it might actually just be that I want something different. It’s a great rod, but it just doesn’t do anything for me

On 6/29/2019 at 1:17 PM, WRB said:

Tom

I don't like it that much either, not in the champion flavor anyway.  For me, it is too stiff for any moving baits except paddle tails, and not sensitive compared to the other rods in its price range. 

I have the 903 and it is a Trig rod.

Truth be told, I reach for my 7 footers more.

I love the MBR flex and the sensitivity of the Conquest is unsurpassed.

I don't think you need to spend a lot on moving bait techniques.

1 hour ago, NHBull said:

I have the 903 and it is a Trig rod.

Truth be told, I reach for the 7 footer more.

I don't think you need to spend a lot on moving bait techniques.

The 842, 844, 903 and 904 are my favorites. They all have a place in my boat everytime out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NHBull said:

I am a huge MBR fan but I don't think there's any way I would buy a Conquest without being able to fish with one first. With the GLX's I can already feel a jig being dragged through soft mud as if I was seeing it with my eyes, so I can't even get my head wrapped around what else "more sensitivity" could bring to the table.  I've held them with a reel mounted a couple times and the balance and general feel is incredible, but that is an awful lot of money for a graphite rod with some cork glued to the end of it.

I wish there was somewhere like was like those shooting ranges in Vegas where are you can spend 50 bucks and put a couple of magazines through Uzi or whatever, but instead with high-end fishing tackle.   

If you can get a great deal on the 903c Conquest, do it. I have a 843c and love it. It is primarily my jig (3/8) and T-Rig rod. The beauty of the Loomis MBR taper is that is is sensitive and powerful enough for the bottom contact baits and yet soft enough for all the other baits you mentioned. I’m not a fan of “one trick pony” rods. I think you would love it. If not, you wouldn’t have any selling for at least what you pay for it.

20 hours ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

I don't like it that much either, not in the champion flavor anyway.  For me, it is too stiff for any moving baits except paddle tails, and not sensitive compared to the other rods in its price range. 

You thought the 734 was too stiff for a spinnerbait or buzzbait ?

4 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

I am a huge MBR fan but I don't think there's any way I would buy a Conquest without being able to fish with one first. With the GLX's I can already feel a jig being dragged through soft mud as if I was seeing it with my eyes, so I can't even get my head wrapped around what else "more sensitivity" could bring to the table.  I've held them with a reel mounted a couple times and the balance and general feel is incredible, but that is an awful lot of money for a graphite rod with some cork glued to the end of it.

I wish there was somewhere like was like those shooting ranges in Vegas where are you can spend 50 bucks and put a couple of magazines through Uzi or whatever, but instead with high-end fishing tackle.   

I have a few GLX'S and thought the same, and was wrong. If felt different in hand and I was sceptical.......additionally, I don't know anyone who has paid sticker for them. For open water cast where I need sensitivity it's the conquest 7'6, when accuracy is imparitive, a 7 gets the call. 

4 hours ago, NHBull said:

I have a few GLX'S and thought the same, and was wrong. If felt different in hand and I was sceptical.......additionally, I don't know anyone who has paid sticker for them. For open water cast where I need sensitivity it's the conquest 7'6, when accuracy is imparitive, a 7 gets the call. 

If my 783c got slammed in a car door tomorrow I would give a lot of thought to upgrading, but I really want to get a few dozen casts on one first.