Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sooo I been going to a local lake I usually hit all summer and it has been insanely slow. The weather here in western NY has been horrible.  Cold and rain with a couple random days of heat , then back to cold and rain. I went out Friday finally with steady heat and noticed the carp were just now spawning... that is crazy to think! Means everything is a whole month behind of where it should be.  I would think the bass have already spawned but the carp usually do around the same time but they are super late. Anyone else having troubles and a really slow month now? Or any weird stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the weather this year has the spawn messed up in a lot of areas.  It was pretty late here in Iowa and I think there may still be some bass spawning in some bodies of water yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think the weather this year has the spawn messed up in a lot of areas.  It was pretty late here in Iowa and I think there may still be some bass spawning in some bodies of water yet.

Yeah that’s crazy.. I figured the spawn was done here and in summer patterns but it doesn’t seem so.. maybe by the end of July 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late here, too.  Water temp is only 68 and that’s surface temp.  Bluegill are just starting here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We still have spawning carp here in Kansas too. They seem to spawn all summer long if we have high water though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, papajoe222 said:

Late here, too.  Water temp is only 68 and that’s surface temp.  Bluegill are just starting here. 

Yeah the bluegill are just starting to spawn here to. I saw some beds the other morning as well as the Carp. Funny though bc I haven’t seen many bass beds. 

1 minute ago, Bluebasser86 said:

We still have spawning carp here in Kansas too. They seem to spawn all summer long if we have high water though.

And dang.. those are some frisky carp lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you see blue gill beds, bass spawn is done.  Post spawn can be tough fishing.  Takes a bit of recovery time before they settle back into summer patterns.  I have seen late spawning bass in years past, when we have a brutal spring.  As late as July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't a garantee that bass will have a successful spawn when the water temps keep fluctuating between 55 to 70 degrees at the depths the bass spawn. If bass lay eggs and water temps drop it can take too long for the hatch to occur and egg eaters like carp over whelm the nest sites. Bluegill usually start their spawn about 70-75 degrees water temps after the bass are done. 

Seeing carp in shallow water trashing around doesn't mean they are spawning they could be eating fry or spawning.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

Late here, too.  Water temp is only 68 and that’s surface temp.  Bluegill are just starting here. 

68* It was 83* this past weekend on the Fox Chain 2 hours north of you. That being said, the carp hatch is a great time to be on the water. The Fox Chain turns into a buffet for bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah everything has been super slow here. They are usually crushing topwater and other moving baits but they want everything slow this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ksam1234 said:

Sooo I been going to a local lake I usually hit all summer and it has been insanely slow. The weather here in western NY has been horrible.  Cold and rain with a couple random days of heat , then back to cold and rain. I went out Friday finally with steady heat and noticed the carp were just now spawning... that is crazy to think! Means everything is a whole month behind of where it should be.  I would think the bass have already spawned but the carp usually do around the same time but they are super late. Anyone else having troubles and a really slow month now? Or any weird stuff

I'm a little bit south of you. When the season opened paddletails like the Beast Coast Miyagi, Nories swimmers, and wakes like Ganterels and Bull Shads were killing it. Then it stopped dead after that short cold front. I downsized to 1/4oz floating jerkbaits and it's on again. Can't get bit for nuthin' on a 10" power worm like I did last year at this time. My buddy has been whacking them during the late afternoon on a weightless 5" Dinger in Grn Pumpkin. Who knows? Maybe they're keyed in on small baitfish suspending? The small stuff is working for now so I'll stick with it. I was hammering them on the dark sleeper for a while but that's gone cold. Nothing's happening near the bottom for me at the moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 11:56 AM, Ksam1234 said:

Yeah that’s crazy.. I figured the spawn was done here and in summer patterns but it doesn’t seem so.. maybe by the end of July 

I just fished a tourney on pools 9 & 10 on the Mississippi River and there were bass spawning all over the place.  It's crazy how late they are still spawning.  I also talked to a few different guys who were catching bass that were still spawning.  I've never seen it this late before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know. I have seen carp spawning at all different times. In all different places. I don’t think you can tell much about the time carp spawn. I have seen them spawn at this time, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...