Jump to content

What a Trip!


TOXIC

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

Just got back from our annual trip to Lake St Clair and had one of the best years in our 18 years of going up there from Virginia.  The threat of high water kept us out of our traditional cottage on Harsens Island so even though the water was down we secured another cottage.  We had to suffer in a 1.5 million dollar waterfront cottage on the North Chanel.?. Only downside was we could not leave our boats in the water and had to launch them by Browns bar every day.  We document our trips really well and I could literally put up pics of hundreds of smallmouth we caught.  I’m not one of those guys so you’ll just have to take my word for it and I’ll post a few pics from the trip.  Why was it so good?  Well, we timed it perfectly.  The first wave of really big spawners was moving up and we were on the front edge and were able to catch them on their way in.  I have no problem bed fishing but as a rule we won’t do it as our only technique.  There’s no thrill in catching a smallmouth off the bed whose mouth looks like hamburger.  In all the fish we caught, I can say for sure that three had been caught before us.  One I know for sure because I removed somebody’s dropshot hook and weight from its mouth.  The weather was the best we have ever had.  A week straight of 75-85 degree days in the first real warm front which is really odd because normally we would be up there this week if we went on our normal schedule and we have been snowed on in the past.  Wind was not a factor for the entire week which allowed us to run anywhere we wanted and we did logging over 100 miles on the water. There’s not too many places we didn’t go on the American side.  Here are a few pics of our banner trip.  
 

B3B13B51-7C13-4DD2-B952-89EE1C18F395.jpeg

D9725C1B-5D42-4EE6-AB0A-4AAEE66590EC.jpeg

BC950779-CB09-46C3-979D-9068D8828F61.jpeg

F0AF8238-30AC-4DD6-B34F-F34ECDCA1765.jpeg

B94B5A0A-7E11-4592-BDA8-1989DFCBACAA.jpeg

7930DB1F-C74A-4BB8-9BD8-239E56A6CE4C.jpeg

3760E8D3-B5E9-4B51-9191-8186043CF80E.jpeg

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Great Job!!

One of these days I’m gonna take a trip somewhere, anywhere and get my first smallmouth. 

It’s been on my bucket list far too long 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Wow !

Fantastic smallmouth and nothing better than the weather cooperating. 

Glad the trip was rewarding ?.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those are some giants! Idk if you can fish St. Clair successfully from shore, but I would like to go there sometime, especially since I live only 3 hours away!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, Mike L said:

Great Job!!

One of these days I’m gonna take a trip somewhere, anywhere and get my first smallmouth. 

It’s been on my bucket list far too long 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike

You can’t pick a better place.  I know multiple guides on the lake and they have clients come from all over the US and even some other countries to experience what this fishery has to offer.  
 

31 minutes ago, TheBasslayer said:

Those are some giants! Idk if you can fish St. Clair successfully from shore, but I would like to go there sometime, especially since I live only 3 hours away!

You can but it’s pretty limited.   I was wrong in my original statement on how far we ran in the boat.  It was 180 miles.  You’d be better off saving up your $$ and hiring a guide for 1/2 a day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TOXIC said:

You can’t pick a better place.  I know multiple guides on the lake and they have clients come from all over the US and even some other countries to experience what this fishery has to offer.  
 

You can but it’s pretty limited.   I was wrong in my original statement on how far we ran in the boat.  It was 180 miles.  You’d be better off saving up your $$ and hiring a guide for 1/2 a day.  

Yeah that is what I’m doing with my allowance rn 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
37 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

You can’t pick a better place.  I know multiple guides on the lake and they have clients come from all over the US and even some other countries to experience what this fishery has to offer.  
 


If we decide to take a longer road trip (which Mrs Mike always wants to do)

I may ask you for a few names and numbers if you don’t mind. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
10 hours ago, Mike L said:


If we decide to take a longer road trip (which Mrs Mike always wants to do)

I may ask you for a few names and numbers if you don’t mind. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike

No problem.  Do it as early as possible because the guides get booked for the season pretty early.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super User

Those are some awesome smallies!  I understand the idea of not posting every fish one catches but it looks like you definitely caught quite a few that are worth posting.  You've got some trophies there.  Sounds like an amazing trip! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
3 hours ago, senile1 said:

Those are some awesome smallies!  I understand the idea of not posting every fish one catches but it looks like you definitely caught quite a few that are worth posting.  You've got some trophies there.  Sounds like an amazing trip! 

It’s tough for me not to.?. I really enjoy looking at them but when we were catching 50-75 every day from 3 to 6 pounds, it got downright ridiculous.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the best smallmouth fishery isn't it?  The flats around the delta of the St Clair River are probably one of the best places to fish them.  I'll be out there Sunday morning before all the party boaters come out.  Great job.  The area you fished can be slam fest when the conditions are right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
34 minutes ago, redmeansdistortion said:

That's the best smallmouth fishery isn't it?  The flats around the delta of the St Clair River are probably one of the best places to fish them.  I'll be out there Sunday morning before all the party boaters come out.  Great job.  The area you fished can be slam fest when the conditions are right.

I consider it one of the best.  Honestly, we fished all over the American side.  We stay on Harsens because it is so close to both big and small muskamoot bays and we can get in there no matter the weather.  This year we probably spent 2 hours in muskamoot because the weather was so good and there was no wind so we could go anywhere.  We honestly didn’t spend much time on the mile roads either but that is where I caught a 5.5.  We fished the Salt all the way to 9 mile.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, Mike L said:

Great Job!!

One of these days I’m gonna take a trip somewhere, anywhere and get my first smallmouth. 

It’s been on my bucket list far too long 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike

Come to where I am in the spring and I can get you on some huge smallmouth !!  That’s my speciality 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
56 minutes ago, Ksam1234 said:

Come to where I am in the spring and I can get you on some huge smallmouth !!  That’s my speciality 


Thank You so much for your kind offer!

 

 

 

 

 

Mike


 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.