Jump to content

Steez sv TW or Steez A to pair with megabass super destroyer


Recommended Posts

Hello all! I am getting one of the two reels above very soon and I have also been checking out rods to get after, and the megabass p5 destroyer line has really stuck out to me, especially the super destroyer. It’s a nice all around heavy rod for multiple uses. The other rod would be the Madbull but the super destroyer specifically. Which reel would YOU choose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The difference between the two reels is the frame MOC - aluminum for Steez A, and lighter magnesium for Steez SV TW - the difference is 30 g - 1 ounce (160 v. 190 g). 

Steez A weighs the same as Zillion, and has a couple more ball bearings, including the LW worm. 

Other than the ounce of weight, there are no differences between Steez A and Steez SV TW. 

 

d5G9MSD.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bulldog1935 said:

The difference between the two reels is the frame MOC - aluminum for Steez A, and lighter magnesium for Steez SV TW - the difference is 30 g - 1 ounce (160 v. 190 g). 

Steez A weighs the same as Zillion, and has a couple more ball bearings, including the LW worm. 

Other than the ounce of weight, there are no differences between Steez A and Steez SV TW. 

 

d5G9MSD.jpg

Ok, I thought the magnesium would make it less sturdy. Guess I was being paranoid lol. Will the sv TW still cast big baits well, despite it being made for lighter ones? Thank you for the help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The reels I'm comparing have the same spool - Steez spool was the first version of the Boost spool that found its wan onto Zillion with the new name.  Both start at 1/8 oz to "heavy rigs" - I've swapped them between Zillion and Steez, and there's no difference. 

The difference is the weight difference between the magnesium body and the aluminum body. 

U5pKO3K.jpg?1 8WWjn3i.jpg?1

 

JDM lists a different '21 Steez A HLC (hyper long cast) with 1500-size 36 mm spool (vs. 34 mm) and not made to cast light weights, but rated for 3/4 to 2 ounces. From the description, they fit the larger spool into the same frame. 

This may be the reel you want.  It seems the reels I was comparing are '19 Steez A TW and '19 Steez SV TW. 

 

I'm not sure which is the current USM Steez A TWS reel, which they list as a 1016 reel (should match the 34 mm dia spools above)

Maybe the A is the reel you're looking for. 

 

https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/daiwa/low-profile-casting-reels/reg0000302.html

They both list at 190 g, so we can't tell them apart by the weight. 

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/category/select/pid/299212

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/category/select/pid/320242

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I have the Steez SV and have thrown baits up to 1oz. It did fine but I wouldn't use this reel for swimbaits or magnum deep cranks. It has a little bit of flex to it. I think it shines at throwing baits in the 1/2oz range, especially T-rigged soft plastic. 

 

I also have the Super Destroyer.  Great rod.  About the only thing that I don't like to use on it, is jigs. It can fish them but not as well as other rods I have.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FishTank said:

I have the Steez SV and have thrown baits up to 1oz. It did fine but I wouldn't use this reel for swimbaits or magnum deep cranks. It has a little bit of flex to it. I think it shines at throwing baits in the 1/2oz range, especially T-rigged soft plastic. 

 

I also have the Super Destroyer.  Great rod.  About the only thing that I don't like to use on it, is jigs. It can fish them but not as well as other rods I have.

I can work with “it can fish them”! I don’t plan on using it for swimbaits and I don’t even like deep cranking. Thank you for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Both reels appear to have the same 1016 G1 spool - they show the same capacity on the Daiwa US website. 

They describe the brake using different words, but there's nothing different in the SV TW brake function that's different from what they say about the A TWS brake.  Maybe there's a difference in inductor mass. 

 

Something else to keep in mind, there's a big array of aftermarket spools that will fit this reel, deep spool, shallow spool, fixed inductor, moving SV inductor, different inductor mass.  Brands like Ray's Studio, Roro, AMO.  Plus Daiwa SLP Works spools. 

202206X27-01_590x.jpg?v=1656812352image.png.d68b52bd5c47c899fdfc53b37a43e2fb.png

This is what sent me to Daiwa for my Steez and 2 more Zillion. 

I cast up to 1 oz on Ray's Studio SV spool. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
39 minutes ago, Tatulatard said:

The spools are completely different.  One is an sv spool and the other a magZ spool. 

Correct, and while the word on the street is that the A is best used with baits 1/2 oz and up, it can absolutely be fished with less. Not as a painlessly as the SV, but not painful either if you have feel and a thumb.

4 minutes ago, TheAnglerAquarist said:

I think I’m just going to go with the steez sv TW

You'll be fine.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

  

18 hours ago, bulldog1935 said:

The difference between the two reels is the frame MOC - aluminum for Steez A, and lighter magnesium for Steez SV TW - the difference is 30 g - 1 ounce (160 v. 190 g). 

Steez A weighs the same as Zillion, and has a couple more ball bearings, including the LW worm. 

Other than the ounce of weight, there are no differences between Steez A and Steez SV TW. 

 

d5G9MSD.jpg

This isn't correct.

 

The steez SVTW has an SV spool, handle bearings, and levelwind bearings. 

 

The Steez A is a generic MagZ spool that using bushings on all handle bearings and levelwind bearings as well as mag sealed bearings. I've always sold this stock spool for an sV spool. Performance is mediocre at beast relative to it's competition

 

The Steez A spool, imo, is similiar to the 100m spool from the original TDZ 100m. The steezSV TW spool is a really, really good well rounded spool. 

 

Steez A has a clicking drag as well.

 

The Steez A also can accept the current Zillion G duralumin hypercut gears as well as the brass main gear from the US model. The steez SVTW cannot. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

The Steez A also can accept the current Zillion G duralumin hypercut gears as well as the brass main gear from the US model. The steez SVTW cannot. 

I was not aware that the steez sv tw could not accept zillon 1000 gears.  In what what are the the two steez different from a gear fitment perspective?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
26 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

The Steez A also can accept the current Zillion G duralumin hypercut gears as well as the brass main gear from the US model. The steez SVTW cannot. 

Several years ago a thread popped up here asking something to the effect of "What's your dream reel?"

I listed the Steez A as my choice along with a handful of different spools. With the newer options for improvement you've listed, it's only gotten better since. Owning the new Zillion has derailed pursuing an A and hunting for spools for it, but I won't let one slip by if the opportunity is right at the time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
42 minutes ago, Tatulatard said:

I was not aware that the steez sv tw could not accept zillon 1000 gears.  In what what are the the two steez different from a gear fitment perspective?

The steez svtw uses a dog ear style drag stack while the zillion g/morethan/ steez a uses a singlet washer/compression plate. The steez A sits a tad higher with the ring that encompasses the drag clicking plate as well. The 2 main gears are the same diameter. So technically….you could possibly fit the zillion g brass in the svtw but you would have to get the compression drag plate and then mess with the drag height so the gears are indexing incorrectly ruining the butter feeling of zillions.

 

 

B7678544-8394-4C88-B2FA-3CD32BEF0318.jpeg.85c68e2278302e7b8628b43453d4488d.jpeg90472AF7-D2B9-42AC-9334-26AC8282531D.jpeg.6b66ee7ca1e588cf2e9013873feae876.jpeg

26 minutes ago, PhishLI said:

Several years ago a thread popped up here asking something to the effect of "What's your dream reel?"

I listed the Steez A as my choice along with a handful of different spools. With the newer options for improvement you've listed, it's only gotten better since. Owning the new Zillion has derailed pursuing an A and hunting for spools for it, but I won't let one slip by if the opportunity is right at the time.

 

Personally, the steez a variant frame is my favorite of all time followed close by the TDZ. I just put the zillion G brass gears in some Steez As and it’s…awesome

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ska4fun said:

The steez A is more of a medium-heavy duty low profile reel.

I just want to have the option of light stuff, too. I only have the money for 1 high end combo for now. Maybe I will buy some bearings and spools or brass gears and a carbon drag to use it to its best potential

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, TheAnglerAquarist said:

I just want to have the option of light stuff, too.

You made the right choice for "you" right now with the SV TW. Sometime down the line you can geek out on a reel buying specialty spools and gear sets and whatever else you like if you feel like it. You're going to love the SV. My buddy grabbed one a few months ago. It's magnificent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PhishLI said:

You made the right choice for "you" right now with the SV TW. Sometime down the line you can geek out on a reel buying specialty spools and gear sets and whatever else you like if you feel like it. You're going to love the SV. My buddy grabbed one a few months ago. It's magnificent.

Thank you! I’m going to get some replacement spools. I’m thinking an HLC spool to start

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheAnglerAquarist said:

Thank you! I’m going to get some replacement spools. I’m thinking an HLC spool to start

I would start with the sv boost spool.  Those are supposed to cast really well in the steez sv tw.  Not sure if there is an hlc spool that fits these reels.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tatulatard said:

I would start with the sv boost spool.  Those are supposed to cast really well in the steez sv tw.  Not sure if there is an hlc spool that fits these reels.  

I have heard the new zillion sv boost spool does great in the Steez sv TW 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The stock spool on the Steez A is pretty deep and the breaking profile very much favors stuff half ounce and up. Otherwise, I’ve never noticed any real performance difference between the two as long as they have the same spool in them.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.