Sign in to follow this  
luckyinkentucky

Daiwa TD Zillion Opinions Needed.

Does anyone here have a Daiwa Zillion?  What are everyone's thoughts on them?  

How do they compare to a Shimano Curado D or similar reels?  

We haven't seen any on the benches yet.

But I did once purchase a Shimano® Scorpion 1001 reel and, it was shipped in a Daiwa® Zillion box..

Go figure...... ;)

I have a Zillion, Curado 101D and Revo STX's in my arsenal.  I have the Zillion on my 7' H Dobyns 704c rod and I use it for throwing frogs, jigs, small swimbaits and c-rigs.

My opinion?  Depends on what you're planning to throw.  It's a very solid, smooth reel that I like a lot.  Casts well, feels great, easy to adjust...But it clearly excels in some areas and not in others.  I'd recommend this reel for throwing lures that are ~3/8 oz and above.  For weightless or lightly weighted plastics, or ~1/4 oz hardbaits, I'd recommend something else.

I have a 100SHLA and it is a workhorse of a reel. I have yet to find a challenge that this reel can't handle. I would highly recommend it.

I have 2, one I use for spinnerbaits and the other for frogs. I believe they are suited best for this type of application. I love the look and feel of them in hand. I think they cast smooth and I love the micro-click control knob. The finish is holding up nicely also but only one season of use. They are on the heavy side though, just depends if you mind that or not.  Looking forward to getting a crazy cranker over winter.

i have 2 also ... i really like the zillion .... bolth of mine are the fast retrieve reels .... i have one on my frog rod and one on a custom jig rod for working cover fast ,,, altho i may switch to the fugo on my jig stick ......  we will see ... the zillion is a sweet reel ,, well worth  the money  ;)

Best workhorse reel on the market.   I love my Zillions.  If you want something "really" special, get a JDM Zillion HLC.  Stunning in person.