Sign in to follow this  
mackkie

Any spinning rod suggestions in the $100-$150 range?

I'm about to buy the pflueger supreme spinning reel, and want a nice rod to go with the setup.  I want something really light in the medium/MH category.

My thoughts were St Croix, G Loomis GL2, Falcon, All Star, or maybe a Browning Midas from BPS.  What would you guys go with here?  

Thanks for your input!

I have never used one, but alot of guys on here love Shimano Crucials. Maybe you should add them to your list to check out.

Fenwick HMX $80-$90

Fenwick HMG $120-$140

Bass Pro Shops Extreme $99

pre-2008 St Croix Avids can be found from $99-$130

Shimano Compre $80-$90

Shimano Crucial $120-$140

All Star ASR $99

I own several Avids, but have yet to use them, but I get the feeling I won't be dissapointed. I have used the Fenwick HMX's and BPS Extreme, both rods exceeded expectations. I like the way the Shimano's feel int he store, and they are highly recomended, so I might just buy some myself.

Browning makes a fantastic rod.  I own a couple of Citoris and they are great.  I've fished the Midas and it's even better.  You can't go wrong there.  

All Star, particulary the Team All Star IM10, is a very light and sensitive rod.  And it's extremely tough.  I have several of these and like them a lot.  I've noticed some quality issues with them recently, though.  I was looking at some baitcasters in M/F and of the 3 that were on the rack at Gander Mountain, all had defects that kept me from buying one (one had a bent eye, one had a deep gouge in the blank, and one had an eye that was completely glued over preventing line from going through).   One of the spinning rods I looked at didn't have the foot on one of the guides completely wrapped.  I don't know what's going on here except that I would thoroughly check any All Star you decide to buy before you leave the store.  

My favorite so far is the Fenwick HMG.  These run about $120.  They are light and super sensitve.  I haven't detected a flaw (and I'm very picky) with any that I've looked at so far.  Fenwick apparently places a high emphasis on quality control.  I have several HMGs, spinning and baitcasting, and these will probably be the rods I buy from here on out.

What are some good web sites out there to buy from.

Anyone know where to get pre 2008 avids on sale?

Uh...why don't you go a local shop that carries some of the rods that you're looking at and see them up close before buying?

It absolutely amazes me how so many people here can buy rods online, without ever even holding them to see what they feel like before purchasing. ;)

Who's to say I haven't already been to the local shops and bps to see how the different rods feel, and then try to get a good deal from buying online?

What's so amazing about that?

I have a 6'6" MF Browning Midas that I used late last year.  I didn't have the opportunity to catch a lot on it, but it is a huge jump up in quality over entry level like BPS Extreme.  Much lighter and more sensitive.  MF is great for finess and cranks, but it felt a bit soft for 1/2 oz spinner baits and as worm/jig rod.  I'd consider at least MHF.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the other rods you are considering.  I'm currently looking for MH in the same range as you.  Good Luck!  ;)

Thanks Jake, great site!

Are Fenwick HMG's black?

No, they look maroon.  Red in bright light.

Until all the discontinued St. Croix Avids are gone, these rods are the "Best Value". Even at full-bore retail, they are a great buy!

8-)

i was looking for a spinning rod in that range too and i think im gonna have to go with a $128 avid from reeds. and get 10% off a shimano symetre from reeds too.

I'm leaning towards a St Croix Avid to go with my pflueger supreme spinning reel.

My only other real quality setup is a St Croix, wasn't sure if I should try someone else, but they seem to have a great name, second to G Loomis in the rod category.  Brownings Midas, and the All Star were other close considerations.

Any final comments out there, or suggestions, I would really appreciate it!  

By the way, does anyone know much about Grandt rods?  Saw them at the New England fishing show last weekend, not sure if anyone uses, or heard of their rods?

I have a Shimano Crucial Drop Shot 7'2" M,XF.  It has become my most used rod.  It is very versatile in that I throw weightless plastics, and 1/2 ounce spinners and cranks with it. I don't have a lot of other rods to compare it to though. I have one Fenwick HMX and the crucial is clearly better, but nearly twice the price.  I have a Loomis IMX MH,F.  It is obviously better, but almost twice the price.  The IMX MH,F is to stiff for me to feel comfortable with cranks and spinners so this rod is dedicated to C-rig, T-rig, frog.

If I could find the Avid that I wanted I would probably go that route based on what the experienced members of this board say.  I suspect it is between the Crucial and IMX, but at the Crucial price.

Shimano Crucial -  I have 10 Crucials at this time and love everyone of them.  They are light and extremely sensitive.  The Drop Shot Rod is very very nice with the exposed finger in the foregrip.  I have not had any experience with St. Croix's so I can't say good or bad but if you go with a Crucial you will not be disappointed!

I have one (AVS70MM) and like it, too. However, they raised the price from $160 to $210 and the "value" disappeared. That price is too close to the G.Loomis SJR 843S IMX. For the extra $50, I like the Loomis rod and warranty better.

I consider the Fenwick Techna AV more comparable to St. Croix's Avid series which is currently on close-out sale for around $100.

8-)

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:

Fenwick's Techna Av's are pretty good!

;)

I second that.  

The other you may want to consider is the Carrot.  

Team Daiwa Light and Tough $120

Attractive, very sensitive, great backbone and incredible latitude (1/8 to 1 oz)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=61234&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Until all the discontinued St. Croix Avids are gone, these rods are the "Best Value". Even at full-bore retail, they are a great buy!

8-)

What is the big difference between the 2008 Avid compared to the earlier models?