Sign in to follow this  
djmax22

IMX v GLX

OK everyone thinking about stepping up to the GLX. I have an IMX, but can you really tell the difference between the two rods? Is it worth the extra $100 to step up to the GLX? Of course my tackle shop says yes, but can someone here help me out?

That depends on you.  The difference isnt night and day.  Is the extra sensitivity, lightweight, and components worth it?  I think so.  But I'm a tackle crack addict. ;)

Warning though - it will cost you way more than $100.  I guarantee it wont be the last GLX you buy....

It depends on a few things. The IMX series is what put G. Loomis on the map. These are outstanding rods that you probably have been very pleased with. It's not just sensitivity, but balance, topnotch components and craftsmanship. Over time, the IMX rods have proven to be great investments for everyone who owns them. If this is your first Loomis or if you have not already fished other high-end equipment, the IMX is the "better value".

The next question is how important is $100 to you. My SUV eats up around $70 in gas everytime I fill-up. Unless my rods are lost or stolen, they will last a lifetime. The additional cost of the GLX doesn't seem that important to me.

The IMX is a fine line of equipment. However, the GLX is definitely a step up, especially for specific finessee applications. I would strongly recommend the GLX series for jigs and soft plastics.

The bottom-line, as Redlinerobert mentioned, is this: If you buy a GLX you will not regret it, but you probably won't be buying any more IMX series in the future, either. The analogy is something like the difference in dark chocolate compared to milk chocolate. If you have never tasted a fine dark chocolate, milk chocolate is delightful.

Good luck!

8-)

Thanks everyone. I will definetely get the GLX this weekend. Yes I will be using it exclusively for soft plastics. Now all I have to decided is between the 6'8'' or 7'1'' rod.

I 'm one of those that can 't feel that much of a difference between a GLX and an IMX worth the 100 extra bones.

I 'm one of those that can 't feel that much of a difference between a GLX and an IMX worth the 100 extra bones.

I agree, I cannot tell any difference between the two.

I have a MBR844 IMX, a MBR783 GLX and a BCR803 GLX and I can definately tell a difference between them.  Is it worth the $100?  Probably not.  BCR803 is the most sensitive and fits it's specific purpose perfectly.  

Put it this way, if I was to buy another I would go with the GLX.

I only have one GLX rod, but I have a handful of IMX and Mossyback rods.  I can appreciate the differences in the feel and build of the GLX with respect to the other Loomis rods I have, but the differences are pretty subtle in the way they feel and fish on the water, IMO.  I generally don't spend more than around the $250-275 mark on rods, so it's hard for me to justify the price difference given my appreciation for the IMX rods.  In other words, when I grab a rod, I'm never really consciously aware that I've got the GLX in my hand unless I'm not catching fish.  

*raises hand*  I can tell!  I have to agree with Roadwarrior...it's not a huge difference, but Loomis rods are for life; $50 is going to get you a new one regardless of how you break it for the rest of your natural life.  Why not get a new $350 rod versus a $250 rod whenever you shut it in the car door or something?  The sensitivity difference between the MBR GLX and MBR IMX is noticeable, as is the weight difference.  It isn't substantial...but you can certainly tell when holding the rods side by side.  The sensitivity difference between the BCR GLX and MBR IMX is more discernible...the BCR's are just incredible.  Get just one BCR...I dare you!

The sensitivity difference between the BCR GLX and MBR IMX is more discernible...the BCR's are just incredible. Get just one BCR...I dare you!

I know this will sound crazy, since I can't really tell a difference in the GLX and IMX. I have both GLX and Mossyback in the BCR series, and I can tell a distinct difference between the BCR Mossy(more sensitive) and the MBR IMX. I think it may be due to the BCR blank being a "stiffer". There is not a discernable difference(to me) between the Mossy and GLX though, but then again they are not the same rod. The GLX is the 852 and the Mossy is the 803. I would really like to fish a GLX 803 beside my Mossy, to see if I can actually tell a difference. If I were the poster, I would try to find a way to fish one rod(specs) in both blanks to truly decide which one.

I might get flamed for theis , but I think their is a huge difference between the IMX and the GLX. There is nothing subtle about it in my opinion. Subtle might be a word I would use to describe the difference in the GLX and the St. Croix Legend Elite, but both of these rods far exceed the IMX in terms of sensitivity, weight and balance. I don't see how an unbiased person could possibly not tell a difference. I almost think someone must be trying to convince themselves there is no difference and believing themselves.

There is an old saying that IMX is the rod that put Loomis on the map, and it is a nice rod compared Avids and GL3's, but it is not on the level of a Legend Elite or a GLX.

I might get flamed for theis , but I think their is a huge difference between the IMX and the GLX. There is nothing subtle about it in my opinion. Subtle might be a word I would use to describe the difference in the GLX and the St. Croix Legend Elite, but both of these rods far exceed the IMX in terms of sensitivity, weight and balance. I don't see how an unbiased person could possibly not tell a difference. I almost think someone must be trying to convince themselves there is no difference and believing themselves.

Now that sir, was a totally unbiased post wasn't it. I don't think the word "unbiased" is known on this forum.

I don't see how an unbiased person could possibly not tell a difference. I almost think someone must be trying to convince themselves there is no difference and believing themselves.

I have nothing vested in this, so don't take this the wrong way... but, from a standpoint based on pure human nature, the exact opposite could also be true. Read: "I don't see how an unbiased person could possibly tell a difference. I almost think someone must be trying to convince themselves there is a big difference to justify the price." Both statements prove to be biased opinions.

OK everyone thinking about stepping up to the GLX. I have an IMX, but can you really tell the difference between the two rods? Is it worth the extra $100 to step up to the GLX? Of course my tackle shop says yes, but can someone here help me out?

Chances are you will absolutely love using your new Loomis rod and buy more of them, as mentioned. Buy either one, then as your next rod, buy the one you didn't get the first time around. You'll know after putting in some time on both rods which one the rest of your collection will be. You'll either not notice enough difference to justify GLX, or you'll love the feel of the GLX enough to say, "Oh, yeah, now that's worth it!!!!!" Either way, you'll have one Loomis rod that is a pleasure to use even if it doesn't match the rest. ;)

I reread my post where I wondered how an unbiased person could compare the GLX and IMX rods and not see much difference. It sounds like a flame, but I really didn't mean it like that. It's just to me, there is such a big difference between the two in regards to  responsiveness, weight and balance. If you truly cannot tell much if any difference it's really fine by me, I just wonder how you are making the comparisons.

After I put my hands on a GLX for the first time, my IMX became obsoleted. I still have a couple of them left but soon they are going to go.

After I put my hands on a GLX for the first time, my IMX became obsoleted. I still have a couple of them left but soon they are going to go.

When you do, let me know. I love obsolete equipment at obsolete prices. ;)

I reread my post where I wondered how an unbiased person could compare the GLX and IMX rods and not see much difference. It sounds like a flame, but I really didn't mean it like that. It's just to me, there is such a big difference between the two in regards to responsiveness, weight and balance. If you truly cannot tell much if any difference it's really fine by me, I just wonder how you are making the comparisons.

I didn't see it as a flame at all. Sorry if I stated my point the wrong way. I was simply saying that a truly unbiased opinion could go either way. If either decision was made by "trying to convince themselves" of anything, it would simply prove that the decision was never really unbiased.

I think we're all in agreement that the GLX is a better rod and that there is a noticeable difference. It's just a matter of whether or not that difference is justified by the $100 or so. I definitely agree that the build and feel of the rod is better; without doubt. BUT, on the water, if I'm fishing a jig, C-rig, whatever, I'll tie it to either rod and enjoy my successes the same, never consciously deciding which rod I would rather use. When I'm not doing so well, I may sit back and say to myself, "Wow, now this GLX is a piece of art!" TO ME, the extra $100 is worth investing in something that may help me have more of the former since I know the IMX is no slouch in the performance department.  

When you do, let me know. I love obsolete equipment at obsolete prices. ;)

You and me both!!