Sign in to follow this  
Spades

Scratches on Reel

Do scratches on your reel bother you? An interesting topic for answers. Just bought a new KVD 20 Signature Series from Bass Pro Shops and while putting line on i used a knife to cut a lose knot inside the spool to re-tie it and put 3 or 4 little scratches on the spool where the line covers... totally invisible once line goes over it but it still bothers me that they are there. How do you guys feel about scratches.

By the way anyone know how I could remove those scratches? I'm a perfectionist and hate scratches, Haha.

It irks the heck out of me. ;D I do my best to take care of my stuff but I have bad luck like dropping the rod/reel onto the asphalt (curado 201D). >:)

I've done what you did but with scissors on the side of the reel where the spool meets the side plate too (curado bsf).

I loan my dad my pristine symetre when I took him fishing, and not to my knowledge for most of the time fishing he put the reel down on coarse boulders. This reel was super cherry and flawless but when he handed it to me at the end of the day, my jaw dropped and my eyes popped out of their sockets. The bottom was all beaten and scratched and the finished shine ruined. It looked like a 10 year old reel.

I blame myself because it was my fault for not telling him (newbie) but I guess you can say I irked myself. I don't like to fish with it anymore or at least I don't look down at it. ;D

It's how it performs that really counts. Looking good doesn't catch fish. JMHO

Please send me all your ugly scratched reels you can't use because they are too ugly to look at.

Scratches bother me and depending where they are makes a big difference. A scratch on the paint job is a mild annoyance but a scratch on the spool where the line comes off is enough to make me retire the reel from my fishing collection.

My dad on the other hand doesn't get scratches. His stuff still looks like the day it came out of the box  :)

I am kinda weird about it I guess.

It bothers me when I cause a scratch on my reels by doing something I shouldn't have been doing (like using a knife to cut line off of a spool or dropping one on the pavement).  But when it comes to scratches from general use or boat rash, I don't let it bother me at all.

Scratches on my reels don't really bother me.  I bank fish a lot so my reels tend to get beaten quiete a bit.  However, I still try to take care of them best I can.  I have bought quality equipment and I expect i to be able to take a beating every once in a while.

Besides scratches add character.

Yes it bugs me.  I keep covers on all my reels to prevent scratches.  They all look like the day they were purchased with the exception of the wife's Alphas.  It took a beating against the gunwale during the Guntersville trip.  Four foot waves will do that.

I try to protect them, but if they get scratched, it's really no big deal.

It just seems kind of like a trivial thing to waste your time worrying about.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had high dollar gear, but I doubt it.

when i was fishing a pro/am a couple of months back, right before we blasted off, the pro looks over at my gear and says, "you have all brand new stuff!" i think to myself, "oh, great...he must think i'm a noob!" but, in reality, i had just cleaned and lubed all my reels and scrubbed down my cork handles two days earlier. but, yeah, i like my gear to look good and i take really good care of everything but, if i get a scratch, it's no biggie. i much more care about everything being clean than scratches.

I worry more about performance than scratches.However i do take care of my stuff.

I brought a curado 100 off the flea market with some scratches and i love it.I don't baby it like i do with new reels.However i do take care of it.

I hate getting scratches on my reels but no matter what I do I always end up with scratches on them.  I try to keep the scratches to a minimum but hell......  Use and Abuse!  I worry less about my equipment and enjoy the fishing part more.

I have a nick on one of my baitcasters that happened when my son dropped the rod after he lipped a fish.  I wouldn't buff it out for all the money in the world.  

Micro, you have so many reels that it probably gets lost in the bunch! ;D

I can't stand scratches. I take great pains not to put any on my reels. Like for removing the line from the spool I use nail clippers to cut the knot so that the clipper never actually comes in contact with the spool. It's a slipknot I tie to start with so lots of times I'm able to loosen it and pull up on it so the knot actually comes out of the spool for easier cutting. No chance of scratch that way.

Then I'm actually so bad about scratches that if I get one I'll use a sharpie marker as close to the color of the reel as possible to touch it up. Wipe off excess ink and it's like putting Old English on furniture, the scratch just disappears. I've even been known to do it with rods too. ::) Of course if it's a metallic reel, that doesn't work so well, but my BPS Extreme is green so it's simple to fix.

I guess you could say I'm OCD about it. I just can't stand scratches. When I see that a treble hook has scratched my rod from having it hooked to the hookkeeper I don't like that either. It's enough to make me not use the hookkeeper cause I think it might scratch the rod.

And until right now I thought I was the only one who worried about it.  Wait till my wife hears this, she says I'm ridiculous worrying about it.  

• Like 1

Hey Roostertails,

I have to agree with your wife about worry about scratches on the reels it the nature of outdoor sports. But impo you need to find a better way to store your treble hooked baits. When you scratch the finish of a rod blank enough times it's like making the mark to cut glass with. Place enough flex in that spot and you will hear an explosion and snap the rod. So beware and very anal about scratches on your rods......

Tight Lines!!!

I always wondered if that could happen.  It doesn't happen often though that I get a scratch on the rod blank but it has happened before.  Now I have something new to worry about.   :-[ And an excuse to buy a new crankbait rod. :)

Scratches on a reel do bother me but they bother me a lot more when they are on one of my rods , mabey i'm anal but if it's a bad enough scratch i think it weakens the rod.

Most definitely scratches on a rod will weaken it. Especially if they are in a heavy flex area. Say in the tip action or even in the backbone area if the fight is a heavy one.

I have had rods explode after setting and missing a fish were the lure came back and made contact with the rod blank (custom built Fenwick HMG), then next cast and setting the hook and getting the fish hooked, the rod exploded in my hands sounded like a gun going off.

So be verwy, verwy careful with your rods :)...

But seriously always check them before an outing just to be safe. :)

Tight Lines!!!  

it's a love/hate relationship with me: I hate getting the initial scratches on the outside/cosmetic portion of the reel, but after it has been used and worn-in a while it's like a pair of faded jeans with holes...I love it.  :)

if the scratches were on the spool or something I'd have to see if it created any burrs that could cut into the line. I guess that part comes from having played music for a living - I was always very particular about fret edges, fingerboard scratches, burrs on the bridge or tremolo or burrs in the nut near the headstock. basically, anything that could alter the "tone" or "playability" of my guitar - it would make me furious. so, replace "tone" and "playability" with "feel" and "functionality/efficiency" and there you go.  ;D the cosmetic scratches on my guitars were much the same as on a reel for me - somewhat infuriating at first, but made for a nice, comfortable "pair of jeans" in due time.

Scratches on reels are a test.

Just like when you are behind a slow driver on the interstate and about a mile later you go by a State Trooper in the bushes.

They are there for a reason.

Maybe it is to have you use another reel.  Or to be cognizant of the damage so you will take better care of your equipment or not loan it out to others.

The scratches are there for a reason.

Now, it is your job to figure out the reason.  ;D

As for me, they do not bother me.

I look on the scratches and chips as battle scars from many hours of fun fishing.  :)