Sign in to follow this  
Marc711

Spinning vs. Baitcasting

The more I fish spinning gear, the less I want to use baitcasting.  It just balances nicer, and seems easier to fish all day.  The only edge I see with casting gear is that it handles heavier line better, but with smaller diameter braids, this is even less of an issue.

So I have two questions:

1.  What do you prefer, spinning or casting?

2.  How heavy of spinning gear will you fish?

Thanks,

Marc :)

I have been kind of thinking the same. I keep thinking about trying a baitcaster set-up, but enjoy my spinning combo. I was wondering if I should just get a 2500 size spinning reel and new rod for heavier rigs or a baitcaster. Right now it is tough because of so much vegetation and weeds. I use 6 lb yo zuri now. I also fish small lakes from my kayak as well and wondered how a baitcaster would perform in that setting!

I fish both spinning and baitcasting gear. I like them equally, but have a strong preference for one over the other for certain techniques:

Spinning tackle: finesse fishing

Baitcasting gear: power fishing

I also prefer a baitcaster for all fast moving presentations.

8-)

I prefer spinning when fishing from shore and casting when fishing from a boat. As my Bass Fishing Forum name suggests I do 95% of my fishing from shore so I prefer spinning reels. I do however love my baitcasters and bring them on the few days there is no wind.

I like spinning reels that take 6, 8 and 10lb line.

I fish mostly plastics and go with baitcasters unless I go weightless then I go with Spinning gear.

I only use spinning gear for light line (under #12) applications.  I normally keep one spinning combo in the boat and have a spool of #8 and a spool of #10 for it.  The type of bait doesn't matter to me, it only gets used if I need to scale down line size. (or if I need to cast a super light lure into a stiff breeze- which is rare)

I fish both spinning and baitcasting gear. I like them equally, but have a strong preference for one over the other for certain techniques:

8-)

Cha-Ching! Hit the nail on the head. x2 As for how heavy I'd go on spinning, 10# mono.

I recently started using a baitcaster and I bring along a spinning rod while fishing ponds and lakes from a kayak.

Can you tell me more about what you refer to as finesse fishing and power fishing?

Thanks

Joe

I recently started using a baitcaster and I bring along a spinning rod while fishing ponds and lakes from a kayak.

Can you tell me more about what you refer to as finesse fishing and power fishing?

Thanks

Joe

Finesse.- lighter baits ( less than 1/4 oz ) and lighter line ( 10 pound test or less )

Power.- heavier baits (over 1/4 oz ) and heavier line ( 10 pound test or more )

So would you say I should stick with a spinning combo while kayaking? I didn't know if you use your baitcaster while kayaking as well? Thanks

8-)

So if i have a small 1/8 buzzbait i should use baitcaster?

Here 's the deal, not all baitcasters cast well ( easiness and distance ) lighter baits, there are some that can do it ( like the Sol or the Chronarch Mg or the king: Pixy ) others can 't, spinning reels can cast practically any weight because there are no moving parts involved when releasing the line. If you don 't have a good light lure bc reel better go with spinning reels.

8-)

So if i have a small 1/8 buzzbait i should use baitcaster?

Only if the reel is capable. Not all baitcast reels can cast effectively 1/8 oz lures. Some can't, and many have difficulty. Also, the skills of the angler come into play here too.

I can tell you that a curado can cast a 1/8 oz buzzbait quite well.

So would you say I should stick with a spinning combo while kayaking? I didn't know if you use your baitcaster while kayaking as well? Thanks

I prefer spinning gear in the kayak, but I rarely fish heavy lures. I'm typically casting weightless plastics, or light (3/16 oz or less) texas-rigged worms on 8lb mono.

Spinning tackle is more versatile for fishing light presentations,

even "moving lures".  

8-)

I use both.  Finesse fishing with spinning gear, and throw heavier with baitcaster.  I also love fishing cranks and spinnerbaits with baitcasters.  I do not like throwing a crank on spinning gear.

I only use spinning for lures too light for a baitcaster. Finesse fishing requires a spinning rod with light line.

Allen