Sign in to follow this  
csizzle

Spinning Crankbait Rods?

Hey everyone. I just joined this awesome group and am posting for the first time...so HELLO!! I need a new spinning rod for throwing deep diving crankbaits like norman DD22's. I know most people prefer deep cranking on a baitcaster setup, but I am looking for a good spinning rod for this purpose. Anyone have any specific rods they can recommend. I only have about a $150 to spend, so keep that in mind. Should I basically be looking for a 7' MH power fast action rod? Thanks guys.

Welcome aboard!

8-)

I saw a St. Croix I think in the BPS catalog. If you can't find it there, check Cabela's.

-gk

I throw deep cranks on a Baitcaster, but if I was going to use a spinning rod I would go for a 7' MH rod.  Check out Basspro Shops rods, I think they are on sale right now and you can probably get a decent rod for like $75 or less.  I do not believe that cranking is an area where one has to spend lots of $ on fancy rod.  

I have a 7' mh bps extreme that can handle a dd22, but i don't have a spin reel that can handle them. Those baits are tough on reels - i'd stop at a dd14 and keep the 22's for a baitcast rig.

May I suggest a seven-foot "heavy" graphite rod with a strong handle to handle big bass and rod specifications that support the line test and bait size you will be using?

Always read the rod's specifications and go from there.

Consider using a 4:1 reel for the lower gear ratio to get the power to fish a deep diving crankbait. The bass that you hook will put a lot of pressure on your rod and reel so make sure they are up to the task.

And you will need to cast a long ways, too, so be sure to balance your rod, line test and bait's weight for the maximum performance.

Have fun.  :)

maybe u'll want a saltwater reel to handle a DD22.  Just a thought dn't knw if it would work.

thinkin the saltwater reels would have tougher gears to keep them from wearing out w/ a DD22 on a spinning reel. As for a rod, 7ft MH Falcon Lowrider or Cara or St.Croix Avid

It puts so much pressure on the bail, it keeps wanting to "slip" or open when you're retrieving those big-lipped cranks. The gear strength is not the culprit......wishin i was fishin...

Falcon Lowrider series rods are a great value. if youre going to run super deep cranks a longer rod might be better.

maybe u'll want a saltwater reel to handle a DD22. Just a thought dn't knw if it would work.

I have a FLOOGER (don't need a stinkin' she-mono) Medalist that is made for saltwater, it holds plenty of line, something like 210 yards of 10# , anyways, it is pretty beefy. Just thought I would let you know as far as spinning reels are concerned.

-gk

Thanks again for all the responses.  I'm rethinking my approach and might just hold off until I can afford a baitcaster rod and reel combo. Thanks.