Sign in to follow this  
21farms

keeping the original reel boxes?

this is getting ridiculous. i've bought 20 or so new reels this year and i've kept the original boxes for every one of them. i can't seem to bring myself to throw them away and they're taking up precious room in my "fishing closet". i don't plan on selling any of my reels so can anyone think of a good reason for me to keep the boxes? i store all my reels in a couple of padded reel cases.

No.

8-)

Well, I keep my reel boxes in case I want to sell or trade them.  I think it adds to the selling point of the reel.

I keep all my reel boxes in a big box & just stack them up.  Since they stack up nicely in a big box, I can just stash the box in a corner & then use that box as another place to put things...unless I need to get a reel box for oil/tools/manual, or to sell or trade.

I generally hold on to the box of anything that cost $100 or more for the warranty duration.  If you intend to resell the reels, then it may be more attractive to the buyer to have the box, tools, oil, and original papers that came with it.  Definitely hold on to any schematics that came with it.

I keep the boxes as well.  I find that even reels I have no intention of selling, eventually get sold.   :;)  If you ever decide to sell them, I find the value only $5-$10 bucks more with boxes and stuff but my reels have always sold the same day 1-2 days.  I see reels w/o boxes sit around a while for sale. (unless deeply discounted)

If you want to save them, you can put all your reel boxes into a single larger box (or any old moving box) from Christmas and stick it in the attic or garage... that solves your fishing closet space problem and keeps your stuff.

Wath that Flechero guy: He is the head of the black market for used reel boxes, along with his henchman Cart7

With exception of 2 the rest of my reels are in their original boxes.

All of my reels have been purchased used , right here from the flea market. It is a nice selling point, as a buyer to provide the literature the reel came with, the box is not that important to me.

I keep mine...just in case i decide to sell it.They can be nice to have sometimes.

As far as buying the reels...doesn't really matter if it does or doesn't.It's nice when it does come with a box.During these winter months i remove line,back off the drag and store them in the boxes.So it works for me.

I guess it's just up to the individuals who own the reel to keep the box or not.

However flechero is right,on ebay i see the used reel going for $5-$10 more than one without a box.

Got all mine for when I sell my stuff on Antiques Roadshow for a fortune ;D

I've actually sold boxes for certain hard to find collector Garcia reels for as much as $15 - 20.   ;D

I usually keep them.  You never know if the time may come to sell and the addition of the box along with all the goodies inside adds about $5-10 to the overall reel price.  

I keep them all since I rarely keep a reel very long.   :-[

I've got a stack almost as tall as I am.  :-[ :-[ :-[

always, box, accessories and documentation.  adds value when selling and helps in the event of warranty work.

I vote for keeping them for warranty and selling points.Just reorganize and put them some where else.Even build a place for them.Don't be sorry latter and say I should have kept the box.

I sav em, do like most others, toss em into a box then up in the attic they go,  it's funny I just threw away a couple boxes I had'nt had the reels for in years.