Sign in to follow this  
retiredbosn

Lets talk knots

I typically always use the palomar knot for everything.  However there are times that tying the knot is just a pain, like getting the loop large enough to go around a big crankbait and then untangling the line from the hooks, ugh.  I will probably start using the improved trilene knot for CB, both knots are rated as 100% strength knots.  Just got me to wondering what knots you use and do you change knots for different applications?  

For lures I use a loopknot with my own little improvement, actually someone showed me the improvement about 25 years ago. For tieing line to line think it's a reverse albright but basically it's 2 cinch knots and works well even braid to mono. Just make sure to take your time and make sure it's right. Oh yea..........spit on the line. I have caught large fish 50 + and the knots hold. If it's a toothy fish like pike or muskie, cuda or mackeral, use wire. Don't buy wire with snaps already attached, there poor, buy a good coated wire or use a piece of piano wire and crimpers.

The Sixteen-Twenty Knot, also called a Pitzen Knot or Duncan Knot:

http://www.pechetruite.com/Noeuds/Pitzen-knot.htm

This knot is much like a noose, 100% secure and it's pretty!

8-)

Trilene knot 98% of the time here followed by rapala knot then a uniknot  >Some will say Palomer knot i tryed this a few times seems like it waste line to me

trilene for me as well.

i still have to get the hang of the rapala and the palomar. whenever i feel adventerous enough to drop shot , ill give it a go.

I use the 16/20 knot for almost everything although I call it a modified San Diego Jam.  It is quick and easy and can be tied with gloves on.

I've been tying the same knot for 30 years and thanks to RoadMaster's reply I know it's a 16/20.  Just the other day I was researching knots and everyone was saying the palomar knot is the strongest.  I've never had trouble with the 16/20 but thought I'd give it a test.  I tied some 12 pound Trilene XL to a couple large hooks - palomar on one side and 16/20 on the other.  The 16/20 held up both tests.  Palomar broke on one test, line snapped in middle on teh other.  I'm sticking with 16/20.  Neat thing is how fast you can tie this.  It looks hard but when you get the hang of it you can swing the bait around for teh 5 or 6 loops.  I can tie this thing really well in 3 or 4 seconds.

Best of luck.

When tying a palomar is going to be a pain in the fanny to tie and a waste of line for bulky lures, I usually opt for the improved clinch knot or the trilene knot. If it's braid, trilene over the clinch.

These are my top 3 knots. Others I know or memorize at home seem to be forgotten once I'm fishing. :-[

I use a Reverese Clinch knot. I had a problem with a Palomar breaking when using fluorocarbon >:)

Check it out here:

Also I use a Blood knot for joining two lines together.

For all 3 types, mono, fluro and braid, I use the Palomar. For me, I "waste" alot less line when tying the knot with braid (maybe and 1" to a 1" 1/2). The way I look at it regarding mono and flurocarbon, I'm not wasting line when I'm retying the knot. I take advantage of that tag end (however long I may have to make it) to help eliminate the section of the line that is nicked up from use.

Palomer, with these exceptions:

Uni for big jigs

Improved cinch for spinnerbaits

For line to line, Uni to Uni.

If the mainline is much smaller in diameter than the leader, I'll use a spider hitch knot to double the mainline.