Sign in to follow this  
bilgerat

"Free" extra spool....

Ok, I know it isn't free, but how big of a deal is it to you ?

I won't buy a reel without it. I like carrying a filled extra in case of a mishap with my line, or be able to switch from mono to braid, etc. It's also one of the reasons I won't buy a combo.

I see that Shimano is not offering the extra spool on many of their models, presumably to save on costs. This is not meant to be a "Shimano sucks" thread, so relax. Just wondering if it means that much to you.

I have just two spinning reels, but like 8 or nine spools for them.  Its not a deal breaker to me, otherwise I wouldn't own ANY baitcasters. Yes, I order extra spools for those as well. Some spools aren't inexpensive, but less than a whole other reel, and it saves on space, being a non boater in my club's trail. For instance, I have two spools for my heavy cover rig, one with 50# Power Pro, and another with 20# Sunline Shooter.  For spinning, if you get some twist, or a tangle, just swap out and rerig.  A big time saver when every minute counts.

Doesnt matter to me, I bought the saros and honestly havent used the spare spool at all.

It used to be a major requirement for me. In my five seasons of fishing, I cannot recall a single instance in which I switched out to the extra spool.

I realized the extra spool was never used, let alone had line put on them.

So now it is no lonver a major requirement. If that were the case, like J Francho said, I would never have bought my casting reels.

no, not much of a big deal to me.  When I'm using a spinning reel most of them are spooled with 8lb P-Line Fluoro.  The only exception is if you don't have alot of money to buy a bunch of rods&reels you can rig one spool w/ 8lb fluoro and the other w/ 20lb Power Pro so you can switch depending on the situation.  The aboved lines are what I use on my spinning reels and you can obviously use whatever brand and lb test you'd like.

Its not really a money issue, as I have about 20 combos, but more the fact that I fish as a non boater in my club.  By having the extra spools, I can cut the number of combos down.  

It used to be a major requirement for me. In my five seasons of fishing, I cannot recall a single instance in which I switched out to the extra spool.

So now it is no lonver a major requirement. If that were the case, like J Francho said, I would never have bought my casting reels.

+1

My favorite spinning reel is about $150, and I'm going to get one regardless.  I always pack one in my bag during tournaments, and while it makes me feel safe; I haven't ever had to switch it out.  

+1

My favorite spinning reel is about $150, and I'm going to get one regardless. I always pack one in my bag during tournaments, and while it makes me feel safe; I haven't ever had to switch it out.

That is very wise. That is also perhas the only contingent for which I would have the extra spool filled. Better to have it and not need it vs. to need it and not have it. 8-)

Under normal circumstances I don't use the spare spare spool with 1 exception.

Drift boats really frown ( get darn irate )  on using braid especially when the boat is crowded that's the only time I put the spare spool on loaded with mono.

I could care less. I have never used a spare spool.

Right  there with you Burley. I have about 6 or 7 spare spools from reels I don't even own anymore, never took them and spooled them

I could care less. I have never used a spare spool.

The only reel I own with an extra spool is a Sustain.

I have never used it and I'm not even sure where

it's stored.

8-)

I use my spare spools.  I've got one with braid and one with mono and switch between the two depending upon what I'm fishing.

Then again, I only have 2 spinning combos and 2 casting combos and I also don't like to respool my line just to switch between mono and braid.

If anyone has any extra spools that would fit a Shimano Symetre (don't tell anyone but I also have a President) let me know and I'll take 'em off your hands.  I'd like to spool some flouro up too.   :D

I use my spare spools too.  It is easier to switch spools then to carry a lot of spinning rods and reels on the boat.  Spinning tackle seems to take up a lot more room in the rod locker then baitcasting.  I keep the spare spools in my box for a quick change when needed.

I use my fly-fishing spare spool all the time.  Floating line on one and sinking on the second.  Im actually thinking about picking up a thrid spool.  But baitcaster or spinner gear spools, i never switch.

I have  spare spools for my ultra lites spooled up with 6 pound and 4 pound on my spools im using ...ya never no