Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

Help me pick a reel...

so , im in the market for a new UL/L reel for under $80. i currently have a president 6725 and while there is nothing wrong with it (just needs a cleaning) , i want to try something else. so far ive been looking at -

Abu Cardinal 601alb

Pflueger Medalist 7025 depending on weight

or maybe the new President XT

Shimano Symetre if i can find a new one with the right price.

any other suggestions?

the cardinal 601 is cheapest and seems to be of decent quality but it is reconditioned. id also rather sacrifice smoothness for a reel that will be durable and reliable as it may see saltwater a few times in its life.

I have a Quantum Incyte that is a great little reel, smooth and solid.  I have the size 10 that I use for bluegill and crappie but have handled a siz 20 and it seems like a great UL reel

I see the president is now marketed for saltwater use as well, a chnage from the previous model.  The medalist is proven ( I have one)but it is heavy.

I might take a shot with the new president but 6725 does not hold enough line for saltwater, unless if is to be used for bait (sabiki rig)

Anything Shimano in the 750 or 1000 size.

I have the Shimano Sahara 1000 and have only had it out once but it a very nice reel.

you guys are no help , lol. ;)

i never had a thing for quantum. ive never held or fished one , but they just never interested me.

i am leaning towards the president since they are tried and true and the new ones seem more rugged than the last. i have brought my 6725 to the local marina and brought in quite a few dinks. the line capacity isnt a problem to me. 80-100 yards of 6lb is more than enough from shore imo.

ive sent pflueger an email asking about the weight of the new medalists. cabelas has the 7025x at 7.x oz but at 10.x oz on their website for the 7025 , no x. im just waiting for a reply from them.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0063830123941a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=medalist&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1 :-/

the '09 symetre looks great but its still out of my range even on ebay since its still pretty new and id rather get that over the sahara.

any comments on the cardinal?

President was my original thought but you said you wanted different....I say stay with it

thats what im thinking , but i want to try something new. its VERY bad habit of mine. i cant tell you the amount of car audio equipment (my other hobby) that i have bought and sold on the net. im always looking for something better.

i may go for the 6725xt since i am happy with the previous model but...

Get the Symetre and be happy...VERY HAPPY!

8-)

shoot for a trion. dont bother with the xt, its the same thing as the original, just in red. its really not all that much lighter either.

shoot for a trion. dont bother with the xt, its the same thing as the original, just in red. its really not all that much lighter either.

the new presidents seem to have a better sealed drag and a more rugged construction. im not knocking the trion , but id rather get something else.

;)

For under $80, you are a little limited, unless you look at ebay or used.

The new Sahara is nice, much like the last version of the Symetre. The new Symetre is ok, but to me, not worth the cost increase for the features it has. Abu G Cardinal 501/502 series is a bargain for the price.

The President or Daiwa Exceler may be any option. In your shoes, I'm going to handle them in a store & make a decision.

The President XT has the Supreme style handle, not the rosewood.

If you can find one on Ebay or the fleamarket, a 25 size Supreme would be sweet. That's gonna be my next UL reel. $100 new is out of your $$ range though.

Oh, I just noticed that you said it may see saltwater. I don't know how it's magnesium components would hold up. I keep a coat of car wax on my rods and reels. Sir Snookalot has said he has not had any problems with his in the salt, maybe he could chime in....

I use a Symetre 750 (last year's model) on my UL Avid rod. It's an excellent reel with a smooth drag (very important on an UL reel). I got it new for $50 on closeout.

i think im going to pick up the cardinal 601 if they have it in stock when im ready. they seem to have a solid construction and suitable for saltwater. if not , my next choice will probabaly be a sahara and just keep the president since it is a nice reel.

the only store around here that i could handle the reels im looking at is BPS and they dont stock them anymore. ive held a couple abu's before and they felt fine , so i would imagine their newer stuff could only be better...

bah , you guys are making a simple decision harder.

after roaming ebay , i think im going to go with the abu cardinal 701 rather than the 601 then determine what im going to do with my 6725... it is still for sale though..

I've been using my supreme 35 in salt since last November and it's still in perfect condition.  As with any saltwater use the reel must be rinsed after each use.  My concern is not the magnesium frame but the bearings in time.  In hind site I should have kept it a freshwater reel but I thought it had too much horsepower for a bass reel.

I do believe in the next few months I will get it cleaned and move it back to freshwater.  All said, it's a really nice reel.