Sign in to follow this  
BamaBear

Spincast For Bass?

I was watching Bill Dance the other day and he and his guest were using Zebco 33's to catch bass. They were doing this for nostalgic reasons, but it got me to thinking. Does anyone other than kids and beginners regularly use spincast reels anymore?

No.

Spincast reels are for kids and people who rarely fish.

8-)

my moms uncle still uses them, granted he perch fishes and doesnt do it seriously. He uses the "nicer" kind, but fishes ALL the time (lives on lake) and uses a spincaster everytime lol.

12 years ago I caught a 7 lb bass on a Johnson spincast rig,  using a black jointed Jitterbug at night. Since then I have learned that baitcasters are better tools and I've probably caught bass on my baitcasters that I would have missed on a spincast.

That being said my father-in-law fishes all the time with Silvercast rigs and catches nice fish, often outfishes me.

I have 2 setups that are the original white tubular glass rod and 33 series reels that I use to use for dock skipping and sling shoting...

Tight Lines!!!

I was watching Bill Dance the other day and he and his guest were using Zebco 33's to catch bass. They were doing this for nostalgic reasons, but it got me to thinking. Does anyone other than kids and beginners regularly use spincast reels anymore?

Were they using 33's or the Omega? The Omega is light years ahead of the standard Zebco 33 in quality and overall performance.

Even though they might be an outdated design, there is nothing that says you can't bass fish with a spincast reel.  I personally think that a Zebco 33 or Omega would be a great choice for small jigs or mini cranks and minnow baits like snap beans or crappie jigs, which I have found catch monster bass, even though a spinning reel may be the first choice

The old 33's (none made recently) are some of the best reels I have ever used ;).  My grandpa and I use them religiously for a variety of species.  I have sort of gone away from them recently, because I started focusing on bass more , but they are a GREAT reel. ;D

I only use spincast reels to fish tiny streams where casting accuracy is paramount. Other than that, I fish mostly spinning reels, and baitcasting reels for bigger lures or heavier lines.

The problem with spincast is the gear ratio is so slow you will get aggravated when working any moving lure.

Were they using 33's or the Omega? The Omega is light years ahead of the standard Zebco 33 in quality and overall performance.

I believe that Bill identified them as 33's.  He said that he kept them in his truck for the grandkids.  His guest was a Zebco rep if I recall correctly.  

Anyway they were having a blast!  They pulled in a couple of pretty nice fish.

Years ago I put away the spincast and started using baitcasters.  The only spincast that I own now is an UL Daiwa.

The show just brought back fond memories of fishing with my dad, my uncle, and my son when he was young.

I may just have to pick up a new spincast of some sort now that I am trying to get back into fishing.   ;)

Does anyone other than kids and beginners regularly use spincast reels anymore?

Sure, why not ?

Fish don't know what reel you're using. ;)

I have an Omega that I use on a 5'6" casting rod when I'm bank fishing, especially with a lot of over-hanging brush.  I tried it once or twice with a baitcaster and after a couple huge bird's nests, I gave up and stuck with the Omega.  There are certainly specific applications that spincasters are good for, just like any other reel.

i saw the same episode, and thought the same thing myself......

who uses that junk, for real??

i don't know of anyone but beginners that consider a spincast a legitimate gear setup.

ask woo daves. i think he uses them sometimes

Dam...I thought I was the only one who knew that ;D.  I have the BASS tournament on VHS where Woo Daves wins on the Mississippi River using a Zebco 404 spooled with 20lb mono.  He was fishing super dense bushes in shallow water, and dropping his bait in places you couldn't pitch or flip to.  There would be this massive tangle of tiny branches...impenetrable...and he would just shove his rod tip in the middle of it and press the button  ;).  His bait would freely drop into the mess, and he would somehow get the fish out.  He credited the spincast for his win, saying the others guys couldn't flip where he placed his bait.