Sign in to follow this  
The_Natural

Boyd Duckett Dumps E21

Duckett basically stated that the quality was so poor, he felt he would damage his name if he kept supporting them.  He stated the Carrot Sticks the public got are NOT the same rods that won ICAST, and aren't the rods he or other pro-staffers use.  E21 was his biggest sponsor, so Kudos to Boyd for having high morals and doing what a lot of other pros would do.  

Wow.  Where did this come from?  I've really liked mine and haven't had the breakage issues i've been seeing more of on the internet lately.  If the case is as you stated and he didn't have any other motive than good for him.

Is he saying the E21's are of less quality then originally advertised?  False advertisement or scam?  Very interesting and good for him if it's true.  

Duckett basically stated that the quality was so poor, he felt he would damage his name if he kept supporting them. He stated the Carrot Sticks the public got are NOT the same rods that won ICAST, and aren't the rods he or other pro-staffers use. E21 was his biggest sponsor, so Kudos to Boyd for having high morals and doing what a lot of other pros would do.

Can we get a reference of where this came from please?

Edit- found the article at http://basszone.com/2009quickflips/duckett7.htm

It doesn't seem like BS but that website doesn't shout "breaking news" type of website. To me it seems the rod breakage is bothering him and that he's not sure about the "financial security" his words of the company. That brings up a whole other can of worms for why he might of left them. Possibly a money grab before ICAST. Possibly the company is in trouble like many other companies right now. Who knows but I'm enjoying my 7'8 heavy and this certainly won't stop that!

Duckett also said, In business sometimes you have to overlook profits to maintain the integrity of both the product and your reputation. And that's the position I feel I'm in. So I felt like even though it's going to be a financial loss, parting ways is the right thing to do.

There it is in black and yellow. ;)

Obviously, E21 has found a threshold of acceptable returns in exchange for maximized profits from changes in the assembly end of the process or materials used. Those assembly/materials changes to the original carrot sticks Boyd was using are creating an inferior product. I would not want to be sponsoring a product such as a rod or reel that is so significantly different than what's on the shelf the consumer buys that the end results, the on the water performance between what Mr or Mrs. consumer uses is vastly different than mine.

Good on him.

Duckett basically stated that the quality was so poor, he felt he would damage his name if he kept supporting them. He stated the Carrot Sticks the public got are NOT the same rods that won ICAST, and aren't the rods he or other pro-staffers use. E21 was his biggest sponsor, so Kudos to Boyd for having high morals and doing what a lot of other pros would do.

Can we get a reference of where this came from please?

Edit- found the article at http://basszone.com/2009quickflips/duckett7.htm

It doesn't seem like BS but that website doesn't shout "breaking news" type of website. To me it seems the rod breakage is bothering him and that he's not sure about the "financial security" his words of the company. That brings up a whole other can of worms for why he might of left them. Possibly a money grab before ICAST. Possibly the company is in trouble like many other companies right now. Who knows but I'm enjoying my 7'8 heavy and this certainly won't stop that!

Or it could simply mean Boyd Duckett is a man of integrity and that's such a rare commodity these days people don't recognize it when then hear it.

I have had nothing but great preformance from mine.  I wonder if the components in the blank break down after a period, either from age or maybe uv rays?  Either way I would say that Duckett is being straight up.  Sounds like the man has morals and is willing to stick by them.

The other thing to remember is that he owns a business that sounds pretty decent in size...........so I am sure that the E21 money he is turning down wasn't going to be relied upon to put food on the table. Morals are easier to uphold when you are already financially secure.

That said, I really like my E21 rod (7' med casting) and will keep catching fish on it unitl further notice.

I hope this shocks E21 into returning to a higher quality product and doesn't ruin them...........the rods really do feel different than any other I use (and the E21 is the cheapest among them).

Matt

Boyd Duckett is not their only sponsor. Henry Wasczuk of "Fins and Skins" and "Fishing the Flats" also endorses their salt water flats line of E21 rods. What's his take on this? i have not heard anything from Waszczuk. Just some more fuel for the Fire!!!! I have not heard anyone complaining about the saltwater line  of rods breaking!!! I do not believe they're are any different than Ducklett's line.

I've mentioned before that I'd have just a little concern over buying a Carrot Stix rod; but I'm not sure I'd jump right into commending Duckett on this move.

It's no coincidence that he's doing this right before I-Cast.  It's more than a little likely that this move was strictly a financial one.  If that's the case, I can understand it completely, but I don't see how it qualifies as a "stand-up" move.

I'm certainly not bad-mouthing Duckett, just pointing out his decision is more than likely spurred by financial reasons.

The rods are different from the prototypes that won iCast in 2007. The rods are also different than the Carrot Stix rods Duckett uses while fishing on tour.

What... he didn't use rack rods??????    ;):);):)

shocking.   ::)

Wow!!!!!  I can't believe this.  

So far my Carrot Stix has held up nicely, the guides seem to be strong and the whole blank it self seems to be pretty strong also.

It's no coincidence that he's doing this right before I-Cast. It's more than a little likely that this move was strictly a financial one. If that's the case, I can understand it completely, but I don't see how it qualifies as a "stand-up" move.

I'm certainly not bad-mouthing Duckett, just pointing out his decision is more than likely spurred by financial reasons.

Interesting post...

It appears to me that you've made several assumptions... It just might be a "stand up move" but you've jumped to these conclusions before any evidence is out. It could simply be that his contract renewal date coincides with ICAST. I'm sure by the very nature of this business- many contracts originate about this time each year.

Boyd Duckett is not their only sponsor. Henry Wasczuk of "Fins and Skins" and "Fishing the Flats" also endorses their salt water flats line of E21 rods. What's his take on this? i have not heard anything from Waszczuk. Just some more fuel for the Fire!!!! I have not heard anyone complaining about the saltwater line of rods breaking!!! I do not believe they're are any different than Ducklett's line.

No disrespect to "Wasczuk" but I highly doubt that he is drawing anywhere near the publicity for E21 that Duckett was.   :-X

I've mentioned before that I'd have just a little concern over buying a Carrot Stix rod; but I'm not sure I'd jump right into commending Duckett on this move.

It's no coincidence that he's doing this right before I-Cast. It's more than a little likely that this move was strictly a financial one. If that's the case, I can understand it completely, but I don't see how it qualifies as a "stand-up" move.

watch out, we don't want another Ike thread...

It's interesting that he didn't bow out of the deal quietly as other possible sponsors will be concerned that he may trash their gear too for whatever reason.  He's an exec, so he knows this, which makes it that much more intriguing to me.

This is really depressing to hear.  >;)  Good for him though..

Still love and have not had a problem with mine though. Maybe next he will dump Lazer Lure. ;D

Just to show how much farther he will go. My E21 Edge promo rod came from him after it was found out to be something wrong with it.He gave me a new one out of his personal stock pile.Since these rods are not for sale by public,meaning there isn't a warranty on these rods.

I really,really admire Boyd Duckett.

It's my favorite rod to this date right now.

It's interesting that he didn't bow out of the deal quietly as other possible sponsors will be concerned that he may trash their gear too for whatever reason. He's an exec, so he knows this, which makes it that much more intriguing to me.

exactly.  I can't remember the last time any sports figure walked away from an endorsement deal and made comments of the tone Boyd did here.   Not exactly the kind of thing any future sponsor would want to hear and the kind of thing that could bring legal repercussions from E21.  He could've walked away quietly,  he chose to let folks know his reasons.  

I suspect his words were chosen wisely.  

Interesting post...

It appears to me that you've made several assumptions... It just might be a "stand up move" but you've jumped to these conclusions before any evidence is out. It could simply be that his contract renewal date coincides with ICAST. I'm sure by the very nature of this business- many contracts originate about this time each year.

I need evidence to support the thought this was a financial decision?  He mentions the financial aspect several times in that article, and I do happen to know that E-21 is having payment issues.  The breakage issue was actually worse in early production, and has improved.  The financial issues have only recently arose.

I don't even think him making a financially based decision is a bad thing.  I'm just saying I don't  find it a reason to lay accolades on him.  It's just a "normal" business decision.  In fact, I would say his decision was smart.  I just don't see it as making him either good OR bad.  Anyone who feels otherwise is certainly free to.

Boyd Duckett gained lots of respect points from me for this move!!!! Its very refreshing to see someone only want to endorse something that they truly believe in!  

It's all about hype and dollars. The pros depend on the tackle and boating industries and these industries use the pros to sell stuff to the fishing/boating world. It is that way by design, the pro circuit is more important as a marketing platform than as a sport. You can't judge a business man by what he does, the nature of business is to hide the money fellas, it happens with every professional sport, why would fishing be any different.

The major movers and shakers in this sport are about money, selling products, trips, boats, tackle and guides, even forums such as these , bottom line is profit.

Pros are not saints or sinners, they are business men, you only know their images and those images are made to sell

It's interesting that he didn't bow out of the deal quietly as other possible sponsors will be concerned that he may trash their gear too for whatever reason. He's an exec, so he knows this, which makes it that much more intriguing to me.

exactly. I can't remember the last time any sports figure walked away from an endorsement deal and made comments of the tone Boyd did here. Not exactly the kind of thing any future sponsor would want to hear and the kind of thing that could bring legal repercussions from E21. He could've walked away quietly, he chose to let folks know his reasons.

I suspect his words were chosen wisely.

I actually think the opposite would be true.  Imagine if Boyd started using Lamiglas rods.  People now think that Boyd is more about integrity, principle and quality, therefore people might think that Lamiglas must be good a good if Boyd is using it.  I think this could work in Boyd's favor as well as in the favor of any potential sponsor (I am hoping G Loomis picks him up)  

I don't know: Nano-vegetable molecules; no-name mystery components;

quality control issues from the get-go; semi-secret blank replacement;

widespread reports of breakage...the list goes on and on. Even the Carrot

fans admit that the originals sucked or on a positive spin, the second

generation were much better than the first, until another issue popped

up.

With all the issues surrounding these rods, the novelty is wearing thin.

More importantly, if the company goes under, so does the warranty. I'm

sure we will have a ton of information as this story continues to develop.

8-)