Sign in to follow this  
BenoBreath

Ready to spool up....but with what?

What's a good all purpose line (brand & test) that I can put on my

new Revo sx ?

It'll be my go to reel, and I'll need it to handle different baits.

(hard top water, cranks, SB, jigs, & TR Worms)

Any suggestions?

THANKS !!

BB :)

At the moment, I prefer PowerPro Spectra braid.  Have used Sufix, and Spiderwire too.  Didn't have a problem with either, but the PP casts better and is quieter through the guides.

I could live with either of the others.  One reason I went to PP is the colors.  Red for ten pound test, yellow for fifteen, green for anything higher.  The line color doesn't seem to matter to the fish, even when I did not use a leader.

If you go with braid be sure to use a quality mono, hybrid or fluoro leader.  Braid is extremely fragile around rocks.  It's great in vegetation such as grass and lily pads.  Saws right through em when you've got a fish on.

Don't know about the tougher stuff like blowdowns or viney types of emergent vegetation.

I use twenty pound Seaguar for leader material.  I connect the leader to the braid with an Albright Special knot.  It allows me to start with a six to seven foot leader.  I like to start at that length so I can retie to change lures or cut away chaffed sections several times.

Connecting with swivels is fine, but I don't like even small swivels passing through the guides.  At most, that allows for only three or four feet of leader.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "premium" brands.  They wouldn't be major players in the line market it they were significantly different from each other.

I would go with silver thread 12lb mono if you can still find it. Braid wont be good for your tops, but it will work great on cranks, jigs and t rigs. Swimbaits have never produced for me so I have no idea on that one.

PLine CXX 12 lb.

The P-Line is strong and highly abrasion resistant.

I fish Yo-Zuri Hybrid #12 which has very similar attributes.

Other favorites around here include Gamma copolymer,

Trilene XT and Big Game. If the price isn't important,

Sunline Shooter Defier is outstanding.

8-)

At the moment, I prefer PowerPro Spectra braid. Have used Sufix, and Spiderwire too. Didn't have a problem with either, but the PP casts better and is quieter through the guides.

X2