Sign in to follow this  
ShawnCorreia

Light tackle baitcaster??

Hi guys, I am looking for a great reel for casting light tackle. Like 1/4 oz, jigs or buzzbaits gitzits etc.I got the money for my birthday, so.. I am kinda hot for this, but don't kn ow where to spend my cash I am leaving my price range open so that I get a wider variety of opinion I do have 200 dollars, but that doesnt mean I have to spend it all my last baitcaster for light tackle was a abu ambassedeur mag plus ext with Ultra cast single ball bearing technologyLOL not that funny though, that real was over a hundred bucks like 15 years ago and outcasts my Quatum Shaw Grisby real by a long shot. I am not new to baitcasting, I just don't want to buy another 100 plus real that cant cast light tackle for crap. Thanks for any input (the more the merrier), Shawn

I throw light weight stuff with my ABU SX's on Medium fast tip rods.  Small buzz baits and crankbaits.

Probably more important. I chunk all kinds of light tackle on BC.

On a side note, I want that Pixy sooo bad.

You might enjoy a Citica E. 100 bucks on certain online auction sites. It's not as particularly designed for the small stuff like the other recommendations have been but its very affordable. Honestly, if I were you, I would splurge a bit and go for that Pixy.

I disagree with this.  Rod can definitely help or hurt your situation, but the reel is your main component....or more specifically the spool.   I owned two airy red pixies for a long while, and one resided on my bcr802.  It casted weightless finesse worms brilliantly.  If I put that same reel and bait on one of my flippin' sticks; it will shorten the distance some....I'd say 25%.  

I disagree with this. Rod can definitely help or hurt your situation, but the reel is your main component....or more specifically the spool. I owned two airy red pixies for a long while, and one resided on my bcr802. It casted weightless finesse worms brilliantly. If I put that same reel and bait on one of my flippin' sticks; it will shorten the distance some....I'd say 25%.

But didn't you just confirm what he said? :)

On your 802 (which is a light powered rod) the pixy shined, but on your flipping stick it didn't do so well. If the rod will load properly to cast light baits, then you can use just about any reel, especially if using lighter line.. Hence the importance of the rod.

I can get pretty good distance with a Revo S on a MH 6-6 rod. I was really suprised how far out I could cast a 1/16 ounce jig.

I have a Quantum Energy PT (08) that did pretty well my first time trying a light lure which was just a unweighted Berkley 10" worm.

I read the Quantum Energy PT (09) models are pretty good also and light lures

I disagree with this. Rod can definitely help or hurt your situation, but the reel is your main component....or more specifically the spool. I owned two airy red pixies for a long while, and one resided on my bcr802. It casted weightless finesse worms brilliantly. If I put that same reel and bait on one of my flippin' sticks; it will shorten the distance some....I'd say 25%.

But didn't you just confirm what he said? :)

On your 802 (which is a light powered rod) the pixy shined, but on your flipping stick it didn't do so well. If the rod will load properly to cast light baits, then you can use just about any reel, especially if using lighter line.. Hence the importance of the rod.

No; I'm saying the rod can affect casting 25% at the most.  A reel will make or break it....it affects it 100%.   A Daiwa Zillion with a full 145yds of line will not cast a weightless finesse worm...regardless of rod.  A pixy will cast that bait on any rod.  I'm saying the reel is far and away the most important.  

Just bought one.

Hasn't got here yet but I've heard nothing but good (except from Club Shimano here) ;D and its in your price range with a rebate to boot!

http://www.***.com/descpageRLCABUGAR-AGRP.html

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4143

i can flip pitch and cast a weightless senko

A 'weightless' senko weighs d**n near 1/2 oz.

heavy bait it is indeed

Thanks for all of the input, but after several rips to Bass Pro, Sports Authority, and Dicks I could not pass up the tackle wharehouse sale on  the revo sxt I got 2 coming. I love the way they feel. I wish I would have waited a few more hours did not know the prm was on sale that cheap ..oh well. Now I need a Good ML rod  for this real. I am really considering the BPS pro finesse rod. Checked it out today and it feels real nice (100 bucks is real nice too) Any input??

Revo SX or STX?  Either way, you're gonna be reel happy.