Sign in to follow this  
SammyLee

Best Rod for a Mitchell 300

I found and bought what looks like a working Mitchell 300 like my dad used to have.  It was the only rod he wouldn't let me use when I was a kid.  When I got older, I bought my own stuff.  

Now that he has passed, I wanted an outfit just like his but I don't remember what kind of rod he had so I am looking for a spinning rod that would be a good match for the 300 reel.  I am willing to spend maybe a hundred bucks for one.

I mostly bass fish.  I worm fish more than anything else but sometimes throw crankbaits or top water popper/chuggers.  I plan to put 10 or 12 # mono on it.  I was kinda thinking to get a 6'6" medium power, fast action.  If I could get a St. Croix Legend for around $100, that might be my choice.  

Other options?  Thanks in advance.

Fenwick GT Eagle 6'6" , med action, one piece.

Wont send you back a lot, but a good match, my friend Mark has this same outfit and it really goes together nice

Please take the reel to a shop and put it on any rod you consider, because in the end you have to be comfortable with your choice.

You know Muddy, I somehow missed the obvious there.  Take the darn thing with me and see how it feels and fits together.  I had thought to just look around online, see what you guys thought and buy one online.  Hmmm.

Yours is a better idea.  Thanks.

Just as an aside, do you think that old 300 will hold up when I stick EWG hook into a 6 pounder's jaw?  ;-)

Mark has that outfit for a year; he has even caught a small pike on it, no problems

I am about to join the club with you two: I have a 308 coming from Texas soon, putting it on a GT myslef 8-)

Mudman, you have to locate a D.A.M. Quick.  Solid brass worm drive baby!  Way beefier than a Mitchell  :)

I feeling ya dawg, but the ABU revival got me aching for an old Mitchell and Fish for Dollars has one coming this way

it has a clicker...... ;D

it has a clicker...... ;D

That's to keep Mooks awake while they are fishing.  :)

That's why we hung a cowbell around your neck~ ;D

I still have a 300 and a 408, and both work good, although they sit idle in the museum. Those reels will last forever....

Just as an aside, do you think that old 300 will hold up when I stick EWG hook into a 6 pounder's jaw? ;-)

Don't be blinded by today's technology. Those reels were pulling in slobs long before most of the members here were born. It'll hold up just fine. I've yet to have a fish poke his head out of the water and ask me "Whaddya fishin' with ?!", although some have commented on my choice of lure ..... :)