Sign in to follow this  
ottawa

anyone experiencing Breakoffs with PP Spectra Braid 50#?

Maybe it's the Palomar knot I am tying but I seem to be breaking off on a hookset everytime I am out. Today fished a frog over slop. A decent fish sucked in the frog. Set the hook hard, as you know with those weedless frogs you need a good hookset. Broke Off!!!

Tied that hook just before going out. Fished 3 or 4 hours on the Rideau River which is a slow moving weedy river . Temp of the river is 80 degrees now so the weeds are pretty thick. No rock to peak of that is why I was fishing a frog over the junk, senkos in the holes and spinnerbaits along the outside weed edge.

I thought 50# PP Spectra Braid was supposed to be the best line for this kind of fishing?

If you told me this a year ago, I'd have taken it with a grain of salt.

But yes indeed, my wife and I have both experienced SEVERAL unprovoked breakoffs using PowerPro braid.

I have since given two bulk spools the Deep-Six (I don't want their free replacement).

We're now using Berkley Fireline Tracer Braid, and so far, so good.

(BTW: I love Big Rideau Lake)

Roger

I was using PP (red) braid this weekend in Mosquito lagoon.  Got hung up and actually reeled the boat in (20ft Sea Pro w/135 merc.) slowly towards the mangrove stump to unhook.  I have been using PP for years and the only time I break off is when I cut it....  Just sayin...

If you told me this a year ago, I'd have taken it with a grain of salt.

But yes indeed, my wife and I have both experienced SEVERAL unprovoked breakoffs using PowerPro braid.

I have since given two bulk spools the Deep-Six (I don't want their free replacement).

We're now using Berkley Fireline Tracer Braid, and so far, so good.

(BTW: I love Big Rideau Lake)

Roger

I have tried fireline.  The problem I found with it is that it has a waxy feel and leaves my thumb with a black color, almost like it's coated with something.  I am not saying it's not good, just that it has a very chemically coated weirdness to it.  And it seems to retain the spool contour.  Not "threadlike" like PP which is like smooth thread.

Yea, I broke something big off while flipping the Big O earlier this year, and not even 5 min later I got snagged and broke it off again while trying to free it. That was 15 bucks of weights gone in 5 min, and needless to say I was a little less than thrilled.

I have since moved to sufix braid and like it better due to it not being as bumpy as PP, the only bad thing is that it dosent hold its color very long.

Agree with Central_Fl, experienced the same with fireline, don't really care for it.  As far as PP, no breakoffs, except from abrasion over barnacles.  15 or 20# saltwater and 10# freshwater, I always use a leader to a swivel and and tie a plain cinch knot, 8 or 9 twists, holds like it was welded.

Any of you braid guys tried the Fireline crystal?  Even though it really isn't clear as it states, I just wondered if it looked less visible than the green.  

I was using PP (red) braid this weekend in Mosquito lagoon. Got hung up and actually reeled the boat in (20ft Sea Pro w/135 merc.) slowly towards the mangrove stump to unhook. I have been using PP for years and the only time I break off is when I cut it.... Just sayin...

That's simply a demonstration of the inherent strength of braided polyethylene, which any brand of braid can perform.

Don't get me wrong, I was in love with PowerPro for about 3 years, until I got a bad batch.

From what I've read, quality control problems are most common among the bulk spools, which is all I buy.

Sure enough, a net search revealed that PowerPro themselves admitted to having QA issues,

I fired PowerPro on the spot,and choose Berkley whose track record is virtually immaculate.

Sufix is another reputable brand but I found their braid to be the most "wiry" of the bunch, and I'm a spinning enthusiast.

Thus far I don't have a single complaint; and probably because I use 30-lb braid, there are no wind-knots & no burrowing.

Roger

Any of you braid guys tried the Fireline crystal? Even though it really isn't clear as it states, I just wondered if it looked less visible than the green.

I have crystal on 2 spinning rods 8lb and 14lb, I think its more visible then the green, I use green or black magic markers and color about 2 foot of the line above the hook.

Use a Uni or a snell knot.  Palomar is mot the best knot with braid in my experience.

Any of you braid guys tried the Fireline crystal? Even though it really isn't clear as it states, I just wondered if it looked less visible than the green.

It's like fishing with a small shoestring....white above the water, white below the water

If you are having a problem with Power Pro shoot me a PM with your email. I will send you a form to send in with the bad line so that we can test it. We will replace the line under warranty for you. We made many changes to the QC at Power Pro since our purchase to improve the quality of the product.

I also suggest checking your guides and make sure there are no cracks or knicks causing the line to fray and possibly break. You should also retie like you would with mono. The knots can get weak or wear.

At my Age PP breaking can mean something else entirely~

Yeah, and there's no free replacement  >:)

Yeah, and there's no free replacement >:)

Warranty expired 40 years ago?  ;)

I have been a loyal Shimano customer as far as reels and line are concerned but am willing to try another braid. Is Suffix or Fireline the way to go?

I know there is probably good support from Shimano but living in Canada and mailing forms, etc. has always been discouraging to me. You know the " 6 to 8 weeks for delivery " and stuff.

BTW , Thinking of heading out to the Big Rideau on Sunday.

I use 30lb sufix with a fire line leader Blood Not never broke off a fish yet,(Man Upstairs) but have shaken a few a time or to.Power-P- 20lb for my spinner-baits straight no Leader Material.I have my Drag System not folly winched ether.I,ll go through the Jungle If need be.Try tying the Polymer NOT with a SINGLE twist or Double Twist around the Thumb before the original loop and finish.Work,s for me.It depends on what I am doing.The original Fire-line I had Lots of Breaks and Knot slippage.

I am a huge Power Pro  user and have never had a "bad batch"Oh wait I DID a few years ago I bought the yellow 10 pound and replaced my yozuri 8 pound with it. Every Time I set the hook it broke!! I thought it was just thier light line and have continued to use the 40#. One day I wresled with a 5# bass under a stump for over 20 minutes before I could get the stump up enough to get the fish out from under it!!! So I guess it's a crap shoot. My 16 year old has had the Stren Super braid on for three seasons now and no problems to speak of (he is a Junior Bass member) If he gets stuck, I just make him pull the boat over himself LOL But really the Stren is STRONG and holds it's color. No red though. :-/

Looks as though Shimano supports you USA fishermen/women but in Canada , well who knows. The question I have is that is it possible that tying a Palomar know could be the cause of the problem? Could the knot after a few fish start cutting into the line. The braid seems really tough but I just can't see going to a tournament with this problem. That one fish that could win you the tournament could be carrying your hook and not get landed.

I will try a double Palomar and a Uni knot to see if that makes a difference but my confidence is shaken. Today I will have my firs try with fluorocarbon on my worm outfit. G Loomis worm rod with Shimano Citica reel. I will continue to fish my other 2 rods with PP 50#

BTW I have been using PP for years as a walleye fisherman on spinning gear (jigs mostly) and baitcasters (trolling and bottom bouncing ) Never had breakoffs like this!

It's like fishing with a small shoestring....white above the water, white below the water

I agree after watching bluegill follow and gather around my line as I'm reeling in a lure that it looks exactly like a shoestring in the water.

I use a "Scott knot". This is a cinch knot,but, I loop the line through th eye 4 or 5 times and the finish with the cinch knot. This spreads the load over more loops rather than one. It also stops the knot from slipping which is more important with the braided lines.

Scott.

Yeah, and there's no free replacement >;)

Warranty expired 40 years ago? ;)

No Need to worry about stiffness either. :)