Sign in to follow this  
tr21

suggestions on line and reel care

I am new to the forum and have been reading for some time now and decided to join in on the fun cause it seems as if there are some real good people on here that have alot of good info.

Anyways I was wondering if ya'll may have some suggestions on what is the best thing to do when you finish fishing and put your rods and reels in your rod box on your boat until the next trip whether it may be 3 days or a week in between them? I have noticed that my reels seem to sweat and I am also worried about my line! See I live in mississippi and it gets real real hot during the day!! I keep my tr-21 under my carport in the shade but it is not an enclosed carport!

Thanks for any info.!

Welcome aboard!

Heat is not good for line, but has very little or no effect on your

rod & reel unless it's extreme (like in your trunk). I would just

suggest changing your line once a month or so. Better yet,

remove your reels and store them inside.

One other point, always loosen your drag after fishing. Storing

reels with the drag on can compress the brake pads over time.

8-)

RW is right on the money....

i agree,

seems that you should try to store them inside if possible.....

and under extreme heat, your drag washers can actually expand.... making even more pressure if you did not loosen them up.

Yup if your storing in really high humidity and high temps your reels aren't drying out stored in the rod box.

You can check the temp in those boxes at the hottest time of the day any thing over 150°F to 300°F and it will affect the rods, line, and the reels will sweat.

Mine did when I first tried storing them in the rod lockers on my Nitro, we get high humidity and over 100°+ here in KS. especially when the fine folks down in ol Miss send that muggy heat up north our way.......

If your not fishing and storing for 3 days or more, I would take the systems out of the boxes and store inside in the dryer cooler air....

Tight Lines!!!

I use KVD Line and Lure conditioner on all my reels/line.  It works just fine and displaces water.  I spray all my reels at the end of my trips and let it dry and then wipe the reels down.  No corrosion worries any more. If I have any backlash problems while fishing I hit the line with a shot of it and let it dry before using that rod/reel.  Never have had a problem with it becoming sticky.

Shortbasser

KVD Line & Lure has a high sunscreen to protect your line and equipment.  It will actually bond to the line and reel for extended protection.  It isn't oily or contain petroleum solvents and doesn't come off easily like the other product mentioned here.

Rob

The sunscreen will not protect your rods and reels from heat however.