Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

ROD HELP PLEASE!

I sent my broken Fenwick pole back and just received the new one in the mail today. The only problem is they sent me a 7' instead of 6'6". I have never used this length of a pole for my spinning setup. Should i go through the hassle of sending it back again? Or do you guys also use this length?

BTW it is my plastic setup

If you really feel uncomfortable using that length then send it back, but 7' is a really standard length. Usually rod length just depends on your own height, and can affect how far you cast.  Still, almost all of my rods are either 6'6" or 7'. Personally I like to use a 7' rod for a spinning setup and 6'6" using a baitcaster. You should look more into technique specific fishing to better learn what size is best for the main type of fishing you do. Hope this helps

7ft is a MUCH better length then 6'6. Definitely keep it, in the end you will be much better off.

Out of my 16 rods, all but 3 are over 7'3, with a few being 8ft.

you should be fine man.....

wont even take more than a few casts to get used to either...

most of my poles were 6'6" in the past (and some still in action).... but i have a couple now that i switched to 7 footers (these are the rigs that i use all the time basically)....

and i only use spinning gear as well....

just take it out and try it, im sure you'll be happy with it...... and if not, then send it back at that point.

I prefer 7 footers to 6.5, especially for soft plastics or anything with a single hook.

I concur re: the 7 footerz...especially if you shore fish. :D

I have 1 7' and 1 7'6"... :D

It depends on where you shore fish from. I fish some places with so many trees that casting a 7' rod is almost impossible. For such situations I have 6' rods.

7ft is a MUCH better length then 6'6. Definitely keep it, in the end you will be much better off.

Out of my 16 rods, all but 3 are over 7'3, with a few being 8ft.

That is not true for every one. Last year I traded in all my 7's for 6'6"s and I am much happier with the shorter rods, same brand same action, many , not all also prefer different lengths. To say 7 ft is always better , for all folks and all applications is just not true.

I only have one rod that is under 7ft and i don't use it! I think i can cast farther and get better hook sets with 7ft rods.

I don't know all these Florida guys like to brag about thier rod lengths!

Thanks guys

i went out and tried it tonight. Didnt like it at first but then got use to it, but i did realize right away that i can cast much farther

Posted by: Muddy      Posted on: Today at 9:23pm

not braggin' man.....

im just sayin'....... simply that...... it appears that my rod is larger than yours :D

its ok though,

im sure yours works just fine ::D

honestly though, Muddy, i love your posts my man........ one day i hope to do some fishing with ya!!!! it would be a blast!

Hey Mook...you forgot about us Cali guys...

My brother in law uses all 7' rods and one 7'6" rod as well. He swears by them and wouldn't use anything else.  I think he's got somewhere around 8 or more of these. I looked at them but I feel they're just too long no matter what advantages I get from them in terms of cast length and hook setting. I prefer 6'6" and prior to this I went through a phase of only wanting 6' rods. I still think a 6' is extremely comfortable to fish with but compared to my 6'6" rods they don't cast nearly as far. I can make the switch to 6'6" and still retain a great amount of comfort but the 7' length just feels like I'm going to hit stuff with it cause it's too long. Either that or the handle is in my way being so long.

It's all preferance.  I personally dont like using rods that are 6'6".  I have a handfull  and they never get used.  

Only 1 7' freshwater rod that I just put back into service a few days ago, prefer the control of a 6'6 for freshwater, it casts far enough.

Saltwater is a different animal altogether.

I don't know all these Florida guys like to brag about their rod lengths!

I let my wife do the bragging, she likes a long rod 7'  :D

Didn't you post somewhere she was short sighted

Didn't you post somewhere she was short sighted

Just got her 1 st pair of glasses and claims she doesn't need them.........lol, taking a braile class now.