Sign in to follow this  
esoxangler

What rod would load load better and cast farther?

I read a comment by one of our other forum members that stated with lite crankbaits, 1/8 to 1/4 oz., that a 7' medium power - moderate action, would not load or cast as far as a 7' medium power - moderate fast action would. I believe this statement was in regards to spinning rods. My question is, does this hold true for casting rods as well? I'm looking to purchase either a spinning or casting rod to throw lite crankbaits (or small lures with treble hooks), but want some distance to my casts. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

St. Croix Avid AVC70MM will load just fine and propel

light to medium weight lures into another zip code! Of

course this also requires a comparable reel and line,

something like a Curado and Yo-Zuri Hybrid #12.

8-)

Go with spinning. On the windiest days you can still use that spinrod.

8-)

RW, I know that is a great rod, but did you notice he said 1/8 oz?  That rod is rated down to 1/4 oz, so I can't imagine it loading well with a lure half that weight.

Esox, I don't think there's a definative answer to your question.  Just last week I was testing two sets of light action spinning rods.  Each length/power of rod was made in two different actions.  For these particular rods I found the more moderate action normally cast a further distance, but on a couple, the faster action made for longer casts.

Sure be the first to admit that there is a whole lot I could learn about rods :-[. Having said that, it would sure seem that 2 rods from same company, the mod. would load better than a mod. fast :-/...

skillet

Spinning with 10# braid.

shimano clarus CSS70MLA 7' 2008 icast, over the counter lifetime warranty. Many other clarus available both spin and and casting

pflueger supreme 30 size.............sounds delicious to me.

I've got that supreme on a clarus 6/12 med 6'6 and I love it.

8-)

RW, I know that is a great rod, but did you notice he said 1/8 oz? That rod is rated down to 1/4 oz, so I can't imagine it loading well with a lure half that weight.

Esox, I don't think there's a definative answer to your question. Just last week I was testing two sets of light action spinning rods. Each length/power of rod was made in two different actions. For these particular rods I found the more moderate action normally cast a further distance, but on a couple, the faster action made for longer casts.

its my opinion most rod ratings on the lighter end are ball park.  mount a zebco 33 on a rod rated for 1/4 oz baits and ill bet that set up sends that bait a flying. mount up a high dollar baitcaster in the hands of a proficient angler and even though it might not the best way to toss a light bait it can be done.

I bought the BPS Pro Finesse with a 7' medium, fast to finesse worms, craws and other light baits. At the same time I already owned a Saros on an Avid 6'6" medium, fast.

I tried that Pro Finesse many, many times without much satisfaction and went back to the Avid with the spinner for light and very light baits. I can cast a pretty tiny spoon or rooster tail with that thing well, of course I can put a worm just about anywhere I want it.

I am still trying to find a spot in the arsenal for the Pro Finesse. No doubt my lack of skill limits what I can do with any combo but I am getting better every day. 10,000 hours, right? Something like 800 down.