Sign in to follow this  
Rand

Reel lube

Just added to favorite sites.

Thanks.

You HS fans have been drinking the TT Koolaid. Have ANY of you noticed that it stains the gears, turns black and gummy in about a month, and bearings dry up in a few weeks without constant replenishing, or is this OK with you? My favorite are the guys that show pics of their freshly lubed up reels showing half a tube of the crap grease spooged into the level wind worm gear. You guys ever actually fish with these reels? That level wind would bound up with junk sticking to the grease. I may not have as much experience as David, but I can guarantee you I have broken down and rebuilt hundreds, if not a thousand more reels than 99% of you. And, yes I gave HS a chance. It sucks. So does Reel Butter. I've said that Silicote sucks too. Trust me.

I just greased about 20 of my reels today with HS. I had to put it on with a brush and then I added some 5w/30 to it so it would get to the gears. I will take em apart this weekend and re grease them with something else. Any recommendations?

I just greased about 20 of my reels today with HS. I had to put it on with a brush and then I added some 5w/30 to it so it would get to the gears. I will take em apart this weekend and re grease them with something else. Any recommendations?

I like to soak mine overnight in 90 weight gear lube. Give it a try! :)

I like to soak mine overnight in 90 weight gear lube. Give it a try! :)

I use Mobil1 synthetic in my reels. Instant oil pressure on startup and no smoke....... :)

I have used HOT SAUCE OIL and Grease on all my reels from my Conquest to my Steez reels and Hot Sauce will last for weeks in the bearings and the grease will not spray off the gears, also in the cold of Oct/Nov in MN it will not freeze up in my reels. TACKLE TOUR forum, most use it over on that forum. I like to use one brand of oil and grease and Hot Sauce works for me. I did try some OUST BEARING OIL and this oil is very light and I had apply it more than HOT SAUCE, but I think I will use it in some of my Steez reels that I have TG ABEC 7 CERAMICS in.

RWSCHMITZ,

I have used HOT SAUCE OIL and Grease on all my reels from my Conquest to my Steez reels and Hot Sauce will last for weeks in the bearings and the grease will not spray off the gears, also in the cold of Oct/Nov in MN  it will freeze up in my reels.
It looks like it last for weeks, because it stains (red/pink) every part it touches. I'm confused though does it freeze up reels their in winter or was that a typo....??
I did try some OUST BEARING OIL and this oil is very light and I had apply it more than HOT SAUCE, but I think I will use it in some of my Steez reels that I have TG ABEC 7 CERAMICS in.

The OUST BEARING OIL will do well in the TG's although they do recommend their own oil (i believe its the red for ceramics) for them..

Tight Lines!!!  

An authorized service center for quite a few major brands recommended Corrosion block and were they ever right( my local repair facility as well).

Best I've ever used.

I'd never go back to traditional oil and most of my reels are used in saltwater.  One 4 oz can has lasted me 2 years and it's only half gone.

After reading about it from the Lear website, my main question is..

If it dries leaving nothing behind and is stated as a corrosion inhibitor not a lubrication how can it be any good in a reel.

I mean I can see were a blue water reel/s could use the protection but I cannot see were it would lubricate any parts.

IMO you would still need to lubricate with a quality oil and grease...

But to each his/her own....... 8-)

Tight Lines All!!

It just works.  A little squirt and I'm good for months, my reels(spinning) are always smooth.