Sign in to follow this  
MOJOBA55

What type of line to use for Pitching and Flipping docks?

I just bought a new flipping/pitching set-up but I wasn't sure what type of line would be best for dock fishing and how many pound test for jig and pigs. I've seen people use monofilament, fluorocarbon, braid with fluoro leader, and braid. So I'm just wondering what you guys reccommend to me and a little tip with visability. Any tips or help would be much appreciated! Thank you!  ;D

braid isnt smooth enough for me, but then again i dunno too much about set ups. for flipping i prefer fireline or just some basic mono XL smoothcast. usually light to med action rod. i go for 8 lb test. i really like to keep the mindset that my line is going to break. makes me fight better.

Pros, due to time constrictions, just stand on their boats and flip braided where ever they want. That way they can just rip their cranks out of the weeds.

I say go finess spinning reel/ultralight-light rod/ 8-12lb reel with a good drag.

thats just me personally though, i always go for the challenger's spirit to make it more fun.

You won't remember every bass you catch, but you will remember the ones you miss.

I have 4 flip/pitch combos rigged at all times.. I use 17lb Copoly/Mono, 20 lb Floro, 60lb Power Pro.

If fishing docks, I usually use the Floro or the Power pro as they are slightly better for abrasion.   With a lean towards the power pro.. Usually dock fish are not all that line shy.  Just my opinion.

Heavy weed cover?  50 or 65 lb. Power Pro.

braid isnt smooth enough for me, but then again i dunno too much about set ups. for flipping i prefer fireline

fireline is a braid

Not so fast....There is Fireline Braid and Tracer, which are braids.  But, There is the original Fireline and Fireline Crystal, neither of which are braid.  They are fused lines.  Perhaps that is what he's using.

braid isnt smooth enough for me, but then again i dunno too much about set ups. for flipping i prefer fireline or just some basic mono XL smoothcast. usually light to med action rod. i go for 8 lb test. i really like to keep the mindset that my line is going to break. makes me fight better.

Pros, due to time constrictions, just stand on their boats and flip braided where ever they want. That way they can just rip their cranks out of the weeds.

I say go finess spinning reel/ultralight-light rod/ 8-12lb reel with a good drag.

thats just me personally though, i always go for the challenger's spirit to make it more fun.

You won't remember every bass you catch, but you will remember the ones you miss.

Mind boggling wasn't it ?

Very. I have 30 lb braid on mine, and I still dont think that is enough.

20lb Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon

For docks i use either 17lb cxx or 20 lb BPS flouro, no braid for docks it just dosen't have the abraision resistance. For timber or weeds, 65lb Stren Super braid

Very. I have 30 lb braid on mine, and I still dont think that is enough.

same here hasent snapped yet lovi but im thinking that if you catch a fish with sharp teeth like a pike or walleye it might cut the line.

So I'm assuming from majority you guys would probably use braid with a fluorocarbon leader? I mean say if I fish jig and pig, I know during the hotter days they seek for more reaction strike but I have that mentality that I will not catch due to the visibility of the braid itself from no cover to semi cover. Would you guys say that a leader would make any difference in terms of catching none or tons?

So I'm assuming from majority you guys would probably use braid with a fluorocarbon leader? I mean say if I fish jig and pig, I know during the hotter days they seek for more reaction strike but I have that mentality that I will not catch due to the visibility of the braid itself from no cover to semi cover. Would you guys say that a leader would make any difference in terms of catching none or tons?

Well that's just tough to answer. Many swear the visibility of braid matters others don't. Personally I flip and pitch with 15-20lb fluro all the time. I've only lost fish a few times due to line failure. I also have a 7ft MH frog rod that I use braid on 100% of the time. I think the line can cause fish to sometimes shy away and I know they can often see it in clear clear water. With that said in stained water or with heavy cover I think it matters little to none. I finally found a knot I trust to use for a leader and now often use it on my clear lakes. So next year I'm considering spooling up braid on my flipping set as well and just use leaders when need be. So really I think the best advice is to spool up some braid and see what the fish tell you. The worst case scenario is you feel like you getting less bites and you use a fluro leader to solve the problem. BTW the no strech of braid will greatly increase sensitivity and hook sets.

Flipping / Pitching docks...

15-20# Fluoro or Copoly.

I like Seaguar InvisX 15# or CXX in 17-20# for docks depending on what the area is like.

Flipping / Pitching mats...

65# braid of your choice

17 to 20lb floro works well for me............Al

I use 17# flouro for my jig fishing, the majority of my fishing occurs in clear water. Never had a line problem, and I pitch docks a lot.

I use 20lb power pro for almost everything freshwater.  I find the 50lb + braid not worth it since the cast distance is greatly reduced.  If I gotta use more than 20lb of force to break free of something it usually pulls the boat to the snag anyway or bends the hook.  Since I cast more than I snag I think 20lb is the best choice.  Most pads/sticks pull free with a few tugs.  Just my opinion.