Sign in to follow this  
SAC2

bps casting reels....

im in the market for a new casting reel but im on a college kids payroll. aka im broke. the bass pro shops casting reels look decent and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I just bought a new medium action st croix rod 7ft and im looking to use the rod for texas rigs and shakey heads and senkos. i was hoping to get some feedback on the bps reels and any other relativly inexpensive good reels.

Do a search on Bassresource for the BPS Extreme - that's a fairly popular reel here and always goes on sale for $59 if you just wait. Last year it went to $39 when they closed it out. Has centrifugal brakes.

The BPS Tourney Special and the Bionic models are even lower end - smooth in terms of bearings and performance; lower-end in terms of braking. They are magnetic braking only so you have to have a skilled thumb to use those. Personally I think that makes them excellent training reels - you cast those you can cast anything.

After that as you go up in price they will have both brakes and/or are lighter etc... i.e. the Rick Klunn

One other recommendation - monitor the flea market for a used reel. You can get more for your money that way as well.

The Pro Qualifier is on sale for $80 ($20 off regular price). A great reel for that price. The Extreme reels are a good value also. The Extremes have magnetic braking. The PQ has both magnetic and centrifugal.

Hmm...

I would keep an eye on our Flea Market and

pick up a used Citica.

8-)

hey thanks for all the input guys.

I would take a look at the Pro Qualifier and Extreme Reels.  IMO this is where the "value" in BPS brand equipment lies. 

I have a Pro Light Finesse, an Extreme, and a Fritts Crankin reel.

The Pro Light doesn't pick up a ton of line. I don't like how slow it is. But otherwise this is a great reel, and will cast really light lures with ease.

The Extreme is OK. Gets the job done fine. Nothing special. Funny thing is I got it for $40 and put it on a $200 rod. ;D

The crankin reels are a little larger diameter than some would like but it's because of the design-in fitting the spool. This is a great reel, and much smoother than the bearing count would lead you to believe.

I'd like to, and plan to upgrade to something nicer than the extreme. The other two are good reels. The Extreme is fine, just a cheap reel on a good rod.

I wish I had the $$ to upgrade all my good rods to the new Pflueger Patriarch XT But that probably isn't going to happen.

I recently bought the BPS Extreme combo on sale and so far I am satisfied with the reels performance. The Pro Qualifier is a better performing reel from all the reviews I have read.

i have the pro qualifier. bought the combo set. i have yet had any problems with mine and love it. i use mine for wacky rigging the weeds and frogging the lilies since i have 30 lb braid on it. my biggest bass on it is 4.2 and i thought it handle the bass very well.

The Extreme's and Pro qualifiers are both great reels for the money especially when on sale.  As are the Clunn reels.  Don't bother with anything cheaper than an Extreme. 

The new Extremes are magnetic brakes only, they removed the centrifugal brakes. You have to get the Rick Clunn model now to get both.

Do you want magnetic or centrifugal brakes?

I guess that BPS reels are controversial in that some question the long-term servicing and parts availability. However, they seem well made and offer features (like dual braking) that are only found on reels costing much more. This year, I bought 2 Pro-Qualifiers, 1 ProLite, and 1 Rick Clunn direct from BPS - I got all of them on sale at $80 each. I bought another 2009 model Pro-Qualifier off of eBay for $40. All 3 of these models have dual braking (both magnetic and centrifugal), good bearings, and seem to be great values for the money.

The dual braking is just great. For most baits, I set two brakes on the centrifugal, then I have the magnetic to fine tune for a specific bait or wind condition. I was throwing a 1/6oz bait with the ProLite the other day, INTO a pretty stiff wind, with no backlashes - just had to crank in a bit more mag braking and still had good casting distance. Other than stopping the spool at the end of the cast, you can literally tune these to cast "thumb-free."

I have not personally used the Extreme reel but have heard many people say (as was mentioned above) that they should be considered the entry-level of the BPS line and to not go any cheaper. I have been tempted to pick up one of the $99 Extreme rod/reel combos, but I'm getting pretty spoiled with the dual-braking and don't want to go back to mag-only.

i was looking for one with centrifagul brakes. the pro lite finesse looked good but i will have to agree with the downside being that it cant hold much line. ill have to look into some of the other ones mentioned as well. thanks again

oh and by the way, any info on the abu garcia black max? i saw it the other day at a store but it looked to good to be true.

Hmm...

pick up a used Citica.

8-)

ding ding!

I can tell you from experience that the Extreme is a solid reel.  The newer one doesn't have the same braking system as the ones I bought do (last year's models are what I have) but otherwise it's the same reel.  They also updated the handle to have the swept in design on the new ones but that difference is insignificant really I believe.

The reels are build solidly, have aluminum frames, brass gearing, good quality bearings, good drag systems, and you'll not beat them for quality compared to price.  However, if I were to get a BPS reel today, I'd probably opt to pay $20 more for the Pro Qualifier just due to it having the dual braking.  As mentioned earlier by someone else, you can literally tune them to be thumb free for casting, all except for stopping the spool for entering the water.  My older Extremes function this way, I hardly have to touch the spool, only time I tune it so I have to is when I want an extra long cast so I loosen up everything to the point where my thumb is the only real braking I have on. 

I firmly believe in the quality of BPS baitcasting reels though.  Starting with the Extreme they are great reels.  Any of the cheaper ones I'd stay away from just due to the lack of the aluminum frame alone.  In my experience a metal frame casts a lot better than a plastic/graphite framed reel does. 

Also I saw on here mention of the Abu Garcia Black Max.  This reel falls in the category of plastic/graphite framed reels and as such.......for me personally.......I'd pass on it.

i see bps has the rick clunn on sale for 79.99 this is a real good deal on a great reel. i have 8 of the rc reels and no troubles at all.

I think the BlackMax is magnetic brakes. They may use fancy names for the braking system to where you can't tell what they are, but if you're in the store and pick one up, most reels with only centrifugal brakes will not have the dial on the side to adjust them, they'll have a smooth side plate. I recently bought a few last year's model Shakespeare Criterions on clearance which are centrifugal, the new model switched to magnetic brakes.

I'm not against magnetic brakes, just grew up with centrifugal and can't teach my thumb the magnetic brakes.

Hmm...

pick up a used Citica.

8-)

ding ding!

Nice buy. The Shimano citica is a great reel for the price. It sure beats a Pinncle regardless of which store's logo is on the side. Then you got it cheaper.