Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

Mono Line Problems

Very curious if you guys are having the same issues. I know a very good fishing guy in my club. He says he uses Trilene Big Game mono for everything.  so my buddy changed two of his rods over and he had backlashes like crazy. Line spooling off every cast.

Why does mono spool off?  What do you guys do for mono line and what baits ?

Mono, per Ike:

For Treble Hook Baits.

I use mono on baitcasters for treble hook baits.

Flouro for everything else, other than braid for frogs, in slop/heavy cover and deep diving crankbaits.  :D

all i use is mono for both casting and spinning. on my baitcaster , i have 10lb big game in green and have no backlash issues. while i do get them casting into the wind , i wouldnt call it an issue.

Could be anything without seeing his reels.

Maybe it's what you're use to. I use mono all the time, tried fluorocarbon, too stiff, backlashes all the time, feels like it wants to unreel itself. Braid eats your line guides in dirty water, soaks up the dirt...

I use 10lb BigGame almost all of the time.

When he casts, how does he use his thumb? Does he rest it on the line or the edge of the spool? You'll do much better long term if you take the time to practice using the edge of the spool instead of the line on it. I did it wrong for years.

jmho

No problems here...  I use mono for everything... from #8 - #25.  Outside of a bad spool of line (which only happens once every few years) I've been trouble free for over 25 years- which is when I switched to Berkley Trilene XT.  I do use a couple other lines for specific things now but never have trouble with XT in above freezing temps.

IMO your buddy needs to learn his brakes and spool tension knobs on his reel. Sounds like he needs to tighten down on them a little. I use Sufix Seige mono on everything except lipless cranks, and I do not run into this problem.

I would tend to agree with this...Although I like lots of others run my baitcasters really loose, i.e. no brakes, and hardly any spool tension..it's all in the Thumb.. :D

Sometimes using a to heavy lure ona rod that isn't rated to handle it will tend to backlash, as will casting into a gusty headwind.

IMO your buddy needs to learn his brakes and spool tension knobs on his reel. Sounds like he needs to tighten down on them a little. I use Sufix Seige mono on everything except lipless cranks, and I do not run into this problem.

Y'all have 2 problems; improperly set up reel & uneducated thumb :D

I heard spooling it the opposite way it came off the spool will cause problems too.  I don't know first hand , always spooled it the same way it came off.

Sent a PM.

"Wet spot" is the location where you soak a washcloth with KVD's Line and Lure Conditioner, etc.

Give it a try and let us know if it helps.  :D

Mono, per Ike:

For Treble Hook Baits.

I use mono on baitcasters for treble hook baits.

Flouro for everything else, other than braid for frogs, in slop/heavy cover and deep diving crankbaits. :D

Great advice, but to take it a step further:

Experiment with some other lines on a rig

or two. There's lots of options!

My main line is Yo-Zuri, but I have

a baitcaster spooled up with PP 50/12,

one with 12 lb Seaguar AbrazX 100%

and a spinning reel with 8 lb InvizX.

Some might work, others might not.

8-)

Big Game is the only mono I use and have never had that problem. Just like Catt said.

Same here...Never had problems with it.It will coil up in cold weather a little bit making it seem a little stiffer.

Most mono lines will do that anyways.KVD line conditioner or reel magic should help that a little bit.

I've switched to Trilene XT for my baitcasters.I'm sticking to one line brand for awhile.It's just a personal choice.I will always recommend Big Game for anybody who asked about it.Decent line for the price.