Sign in to follow this  
huskyjerk

VMC Sure Set trebles

You'll be fine with VMC. These are the standard hooks for Lucky Craft and Rapala X-Raps.

I really like the sure sets and try to put at least one set on just about every open water crankbait I have (that's getting expensive by the way) .....I dont put them on any cranks(square lips) that I fish trees or brush with though.I also use them on most of my jerkbaits.

Look at the Daiichi death trap treble hooks they are cheaper and sharper than Gamakatzu.

Allen

I bought a pack of red Gammy trebles, and a couple packs of red sure sets.  The sure sets feel a lot sharper than the Gammy's, I was actually pretty disappointed with the Gammys.  

I'm not a huge VMC fan, although I know Lucky Craft outsources most of their hooks through VMC, with the exception being the Slender Pointers which Lucky Craft went with Daiichi (hence the higher price I imagine).  The standard Lucky Craft hooks appear to be a 4x hook, and VMC doesn't offer a 2x or 4x treble hook that I know of.  The closest thing I have found to standard L/C hooks are the Daiichi 4x, followed by the Gamakatsu 2x and 4x.  Just FYI, 2x trebles are twice as strong by utilizing a heavier weld and heavier gauge wire, followed by 4x, which is about quadruple the strength and gauge of a standard treble.  The heavier gauge of the 4x hooks hold their point significantly longer than a standard treble.  As 5-bass stated, the Sure Sets are more prone to snag, but should be fine for open water.  I use the red Daiichi 4x trebles on all my baits, and they are available in 100pks for $23.99, which is a substantial savings over paying $5 for one of the 8 or 9 hook filler packs.  

i like the sure set hooks on topwater or open water crankbaits. if you are going to be fishing any where near cover with a bait i would go with something else. doug