Jump to content
Tom H.

Where are all the Illinois Guys ?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Skunked again said:

WOW! Proves the old saying, 90%of the fish are in 10% of the water! Where do your crappie normally hang out for the winter?

Same place I catch them in the spring. :ok-wink:

Seriously though, the Fox Chain is a great big mud hole. The crappies I target winter where the hard bottom is. Water depths less than 10ft. There not schooling as of yet and we caught one here and one there. Water is still a little warm. As far as the 10%, we found 3 huge schools of 8"-10" whites with some small perch in the mix. I may have graphed 50 acres out of 9000 to find them BUT I have been fishing this water for maybe 15 years and I know it well. I know where the drops are and I graphed schools of what I assume were whites multiple times the last few weeks while I was targeting largemouth. Last Sunday I fished the same river only 100 miles north and the crappies were schooled in 5ft of water on a hard bottom. Fished every dock on a small 3 acre inlet and found crappies on only one of the docks. When I fish for panfish, my attitude is stick and move. If they don't bite right away, they are not there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good! I've only recently began paying attention to maps and electronics. Waiting for the right deal to upgrade electronics. Currently using a 2d grayscale. I'm stoked about upgrading! 

Was out the end of last week. Map showed two holes in the middle of the lake. Went there, wasn't holes, humps! Caught my first "offshore" fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The power plant lakes here in north east IL will be closing to fishing in mid October.  The same goes for some of the smaller public lakes. Other than Shabonna, is there a decent fishery within 75 miles of the Joliet area?  I just can't bring myself to put the boat up for the winter before the lakes start to freeze over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IL, Des Plaines, Kankakee, and Mississippi Rivers. There's a number of small lakes up near the Fox Chain. The Chain itself requires a user sticker and they will draw it down right after waterfowl season ends. You've got Bangs, Loon, Deep, Long as well as some others to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit Bangs this morning in the wind and rain. Water temp 44* and the air temp colder than that. 3 bass in 3 hours. They're pulling the docks out. Might be 1 or 2 more weeks before they pull the launch pier. Winter is on it's way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Illinois here. I'm going out for what looks to be my last fishing trip of 2017. We've had warm 50-60 degree temperatures for about a week or more now. I'll be starting with a slow rolled finesse spinnerbait, and a quarter ounce lipless crankbait. After that I'll be moving to 7 inch ribbon tail worms with a quarter ounce bullet weight, as well as 4 and 5 inch weightless Senkos. Hopefully it's gonna be a good one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Went out on Sangchris a little over a week ago. Got some decent fish on the jig. Check out the video I made while I was out! Anyone else in IL fishing power plant lakes this time of year?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this today. Going to do more tomorrow.

003_zpsoe8yn2lf.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very Merry Christmas to all the Illinois anglers on here. Hope you and your families all enjoy the best of the season and have safe and happy travels! :)

 

Todd

On 12/7/2017 at 1:11 AM, mbtharp1 said:

 

Went out on Sangchris a little over a week ago. Got some decent fish on the jig. Check out the video I made while I was out! Anyone else in IL fishing power plant lakes this time of year?

Yes. I fish Newton in the winter, have had some decent days and some not so much, but it still beats just watching it on TV. I kinda look at 40 + degree air temp for a high on any given day to be warm enough for me to go. Power plant lake the water temp is always warm enough. But if its not going to get in the 40's, I'd rather not launch the boat. My fingers just freeze off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas guys!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas! I'm a Dallas angler who is spending the holidays with my in-laws in Champaign. We go up often and i do enjoy yalls fishing as I do quite a bit of it as they live on about a 60-acre impoundment. It's not so much a lake as a really big retention pond prob not more than 15' deep. They don't allow any boats so I will be beating the bank. Think of a gigantic oddly shaped cereal bowl lol. I've noticed the last week or so they've been in the 50s but this coming week is dropping down into the twenties and thirties. They don't have any ice on the lake, but I'm really just wondering what the heck should I be throwing? I mean I'm still throwing Whopper ploppers down here in Dallas LOL. I assume the water temperature will be in the mid to low 40s. Anybody with big pond, small Lake cold water fishing experience please chime in as I'm packing later this afternoon. I appreciate any help from the Brotherhood here at Bass resource!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kyhokie said:

They don't have any ice on the lake, but I'm really just wondering what the heck should I be throwing? 

Try a t-rigged fluke bounced on the bottom, or b/b jig.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had some luck with jerkbaits in places like that around my way. Might think about bringing a couple of those too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kyhokie said:

Merry Christmas! I'm a Dallas angler who is spending the holidays with my in-laws in Champaign. We go up often and i do enjoy yalls fishing as I do quite a bit of it as they live on about a 60-acre impoundment. It's not so much a lake as a really big retention pond prob not more than 15' deep. They don't allow any boats so I will be beating the bank. Think of a gigantic oddly shaped cereal bowl lol. I've noticed the last week or so they've been in the 50s but this coming week is dropping down into the twenties and thirties. They don't have any ice on the lake, but I'm really just wondering what the heck should I be throwing? I mean I'm still throwing Whopper ploppers down here in Dallas LOL. I assume the water temperature will be in the mid to low 40s. Anybody with big pond, small Lake cold water fishing experience please chime in as I'm packing later this afternoon. I appreciate any help from the Brotherhood here at Bass resource!

Are you certain that there are fish in there?  Many subdivision water retention ponds in Champaign/Urbana were initially stocked but are now devoid of all life except geese. You can choose to throw anything as long as it's big and you work it very slowly.  Don't let our recent daytime temps fool you, it has been chilly at night.  Those water retention ponds are shallow and they will already be cold.  Keep a big lure in front of the fish for a long time and you could have luck.  I have bad news for you, though, if you aren't here already.  But slow fishing lures from the bank gives you plenty of time to stand around and think about how cold the wind is...so that's pretty relaxing....:(

 

If you are here long enough to take a road trip just go to one of the power plant cooling lakes.  The warm side of Clinton or Sangchris will get you good fish.  And Newton is a world class bass lake but I don't know how much shore fishing you can do on the warm side.  I've not tried that.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any experience with Double T in Canton? Or any other public fishing areas other than Banner Marsh around Canton?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IL guy qualifies for the big time. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I'm a "Chain Rat" as well and I've competed against this guy in our local clubs since 2004. A helluva stick. In the money more times than not. Congrats Chris 

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/opens-profile-groh-s-bass-obsession

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, slonezp said:

Anyone heading to the Schaumburg show this week?

http://www.sportshows.com/chicago/index.html

I'll be working in the booth for my fishing club, the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance, Friday though the close on Sunday. BR members should stop and say hi! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, slonezp said:

IL guy qualifies for the big time. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I'm a "Chain Rat" as well and I've competed against this guy in our local clubs since 2004. A helluva stick. In the money more times than not. Congrats Chris 

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/opens-profile-groh-s-bass-obsession

Good for him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2018 at 10:53 AM, Scott F said:

I'll be working in the booth for my fishing club, the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance, Friday though the close on Sunday. BR members should stop and say hi! 

Walked past you 3 times and you were occupied with people. Did you buy that shiny black Lund across the aisle from you?:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww I wish you had stopped. This evening was really slow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have a brand new shiny boat in my garage that I haven't even gotten wet yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott F said:

Aww I wish you had stopped. This evening was really slow. 

I didn't want to interrupt. You were talking to 2 gentlemen around 6:00. I walked around the boats, stopped and talked to my boat shop (Lake County Watersports) came back around and I believe you were still with the same 2 guys, I checked out the Lunds, they were still talking to you and I left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slonezp said:

I didn't want to interrupt. You were talking to 2 gentlemen around 6:00. I walked around the boats, stopped and talked to my boat shop (Lake County Watersports) came back around and I believe you were still with the same 2 guys, I checked out the Lunds, they were still talking to you and I left.

Ha! those were two of my fishing buddies, were weren't talking business, just telling stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott F said:

Ha! those were two of my fishing buddies, were weren't talking business, just telling stories.

Such is life. Serves me right for being polite. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...