Sign in to follow this  
EvilErnie

Summer Heat = bad fishing?

I have just recently moved into oklahoma and have been giving bass fishing a go. The one thing I have noticed however is this heat kills my fishing. No bites, no nothing. What are you are recommending for hot weather in dirty lakes. We have dirty water in most every lake I have checked out. My background was fishing the coast of Oregon for Salmon, so I think its a lot different then the new area of bass fishing I am starting to get into. Any help would be great. I have used all types of cranks and softies. Lets have it! I want the secret!!

Guest the_muddy_man

The hotter it get here in PA the better the topwater bite in the evning gets. If you can get out at sun down you might want to try some Jitterbugs or spinner baits

Welcome to the forum EvilErnie!

I have never heard this posted before, but I'm going to post it anyway, sorry folks.  The main reason that successful anglers catch so many fish is because more often than not they are making many many more casts than the "average" angler.  The more fish you get your lure in front of, the more fish your going to catch.  It is all about the odds, just like gambling.  

But that comes after you can successfully add versatility to your game.  

For muddy water I like dark tubes, like a YUM black neon VK finesse tube for example.  Also try "noisy" lures, or lures the fish can locate easy.  A few "noisy" lures would include a dark spinnerbait with a colorado blade, a crankbait with a wide wobble, and maybe even a buzz bait.  

Read the articles on this site.

"The science of bass fishing can be learned from books, but the art of bass fishing is learned by catching and missing fish."

I go early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I also concentrate on shady areas, brush , grass and anything else a bass can hide under for a little relief from the hot sun. In stained water you need a darker lure and any sound it can make is a plus. I have had much success with Zoom Brushogs in stained water, more so than with cranks, spinners and any other discipline.

Welcome aboard!

Hot, dirty water is a challenge.

Fall is just a  few weeks away.

Be patient, conditions will change and fishing will be MUCH better.

The dirty or more stained the water the shallower the fish are going to be. Keep it simple if its hot and the sun is bright go find some docks or laydowns, and pitch a straight black jig or a black jig with a bright blue trailer all around them and work them hard. Remember fish love shade because they dont have eyelids so you can always find some shallow.

Welcome to the forum!

In the heat of the summer the fish almost act like they do in winter-go deep and suspend.  Early and late is the best bet IMO.  That is when they go shallow to feed and head back to deep water during the heat of the day.

My biggest LM of the summer was on a 3/8 oz. white spinner with double willow blades in some pretty stained water. It was about 4 p.m. I would have to agree that more time on the water usually equals more fish.

Thanks for all in help! Man, I am sure glad I found this board. I was browsing it last night and seems to have great information. I listened to a PODcast and Low-budget-hooker was talking about the site so I pulled out the laptop and it truley is a great resource. I will take these tid-bits out this weekend. Heading to Grand Lake in Oklahoma, never been there and I hear the fishing is GRAND out there.  ;D

Do you just want to catch bass?  Or do you want to catch big bass?  Big bass will be in there holes in deep water......buck bass will be in the shallows shady area of stumps...docks...etc....  I use a jig for the deep guys....for the shallow...either a black 7.5 Culprit Worm or a black 10" Berkley Powerbait.....these always bring them in....my $.02

Down here in my neck of the woods "summer" begins around late February and ends about mid November, cuz the rainy season begins in May most lakes turn into mudholes or pea soup or a combination of both from late May all the way down to mid October. Where do I find the fish ? early in the morning cruising along the shallows, by mid day they retreat to dropoffs and deeper structure and/or cover just to move back to the shallows by the afternoon.

Lots of rattles, lots of vibration, fat bodied baits that displace water fished in or right next to cover are always the ticket.

Ernie, welcome!

As you see, you'll get plenty of opinions here, which is a good thing. A word of caution, though: the advice usually comes from everyone's individual experiences, and the water they fish most often may be  very different from yours.

You asked what the secret is. It's simple: know your water. The pond where I usually fish doesn't really shut down during the hot weather, but the bass move away from where they are other times of year, and if I can't figure out where they went it will appear to "shut down." The real question facing you is not whether heat kills fishing, but where did the bass go? The bass in your lake are either someplace other than where you've been fishing for them, or they're not interested in what you're putting in front of them.

In my own case, I love to fish deep for bass, but there is no cover deep in my own home pond, so I've never caught any fish deep there. There is, however, lots and lots of shallow cover there, so in hot weather they move tightly into the shade of that cover, which in this case is mostly lily pads. Last July I caught my biggest LMB of the year (just under 7 lbs) at 12:30 in the afternoon with a topwater frog on a scorching summer day. I violated three supposed bass-fishing rules: (1) I used a topwater bait in the middle of the day (conventional wisdom is that they are low-light bait), (2) I fished shallower-than-usual (about 2 feet) at a time of year when I should be fishing deep, and (3) I caught a big fish where many anglers will tell you they shouldn't be at that time of day and that time of year.

Now, I did these things because I knew enough about that pond to know where the fish would likely NOT be. To me, it seems as if you've got that part figured out. Now get thinking about cover and water depth and baitfish and see if you can guess where they might be. Tell us more about your lakecover, depth, baitfish, where you've caught fish there in the pastand maybe some of us can suggest what areas to try. As someone said in this thread, keep casting and spending time out there. On days when I'm stumped and the fish are smarter than I amhardly a rare occurrenceI just start casting all over the place until I get a response. Then when I catch a fish, I try to figure out a pattern: why I caught it in that spot. Works for me.  :)

In Hot Water, Bass Go Deep and Turn Off             .......I don't think so.

Never forget, we humans are warm blooded animals and our bodies must maintain 98.6 deg F,

otherwise we suffer extreme discomfort. This has absolutely nothing to do with cold-blooded animals like fish.

The body temperature of a fish is a free agent, as a result fish are comfortable in all water temperatures.

In cold-water they move slower, but not because they're uncomfortable, but because their metabolism is reduced.

The lethargy produced by cold-water is no more painful than sleepiness. On the flipside, cold-blooded animals are not uncomfortable

during the dog days of summer either. On the contrary, during July and August (even in Florida) fish metabolism is in high-gear,

a time when fish move faster and eat more than any other time of year.

The worst thing against us in summer is that solar energy has all of nature popping and food is highly plentiful.

Super-heated water can cause a secondary problem, but it has nothing to do with thermal discomfort.

In marginal bodies of water, midsummer may cause oxygen-stress for bass, because hot water holds less oxygen than cold water.

All the same, a bass suffering from oxygen-stress is not about to sink into the depths as that could be fatal.

During the summer months, the water below the thermocline is completely devoid of oxygen. Instead, an oxygen-stressed bass

will head toward shore and gravitate to live vegetation, a reliable source of dissolved oxygen.

Roger

First off welcome to the forum.

Summer is the most reliable season to pattern.    Fish are not much different than us.  They still routinely feed, and snack between main feedings.

The reason patterns are easy to establish are simple.    The weather is the stabilest for long periods of time.   Summer time means high pressure systems, which effect bass the least of any weather patterns.

Summer means setting your watch to the same bite at the same times every day.    Depending on your lake and amount of pressure it sees, sometimes the better fish feed at night   As fall appoaches, the fish already know the season is changing whether colder weather has arrived.    Bass know the season is changing because the days are already getting shorter, which means less daylight hours.

I also found shad have the same daily movements once the thermocline sets up which eliminates  alot of water as to  where to look.      Summer should be the easiest month to establish patterns that hold up for a couple of solid months.    

Hookem

Matt