Sign in to follow this  
wvubassfan

best spinner for smallies

I use Strike Kings Mini's here on Lake Cascade. They're relatively weedless and will run through the weedbeds at any depth with few hang-ups. The larger spinnerbaits don't seem to be as effective for me. My favorites on this lake are yellow (not chartreuse ) and black and yellow.

For big fish in deeper water, you might want to try a 3/4 or 1 oz Ledgebuster Single Willow Blade.

I like the Terminator Tungsten series in chart./white and golden shiner. The tungsten allows for a heavy spinnerbait with a small profile.

As RW said, Ledgebusters work well but I had a lot of luck last year with smallies on Strike King's Rocket Shad.

I prefer using single willow or colorado depending on the required retrieve but I hand tie all my spinnerbaits with hair - no rubber, vinyl or silicone skirts

If I am going to use a spinerbait I am assuming the fish are somewhat active and on an aggressive bite.

For a bright day with stained or better water, I will start with a 1/2oz white head with white skirt and a few strands of red, and a silver willow leaf blade.

On an overcast day or reduced water visibility I will start with a 1/2oz chartruse head, a chartruse and pumpkin skirt with a chartruse colorado blade, and a chartruse and pumpkin curley tail grub trailer. I call it my A&W SpinnerBait.

On a clear bright day I may need to downsize and on a dark day I may need to throw a bigger bait. I have had good success with this formula and can't wait to try it again soon.

8-)

I have always had a fair amount of luck with the Mepps Aglia #s 2 or 3, gold blade and buckskin hair.

Ive found rooster tails to be the best. I also take a 3" chartruese plastic grub, take almost all of the grub part off and attach the tail to the rooster tail. Smallies cant help but hit it

anybody heard of Joe's Flies inline spinners?

http://www.another site.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=3065

I picked a couple up the other day and I have never really used inlines. What's the best way/place to use em for river smallies?

I thought they might too, but I got some bigger 1/4oz ones that look like they would be big enough.

I have caught more fish in my lifetime on Blue Fox #1 gold than the sum of all of the others I have ever used.  Trout, bass, crappie, bluegill.....

anybody heard of Joe's Flies inline spinners?

http://www.another site.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=3065

I picked a couple up the other day and I have never really used inlines. What's the best way/place to use em for river smallies?

Joe's are killer on trout.  I have never used them for smallies.  I usually use them by themselves but I read a recent tip to use a Joe's Flies with a splitshot about 14 inches above it for trout.  You could try the same thing on the rivers for smallies I suppose.