A-Jay

Smallmouth And Bait Size

This little guy regurgitated his last meal boat side.

Looks like Yellow perch was on special ~

A-Jay

The 5lb smallmouth I caught Monday had the tail of probably a 7-9 inch crappie sticking out of it's throat. I'm not sure how it even managed to get it into it's mouth. I guess it shouldn't be surprising to me, I've seen enough 12 inch smallmouth try to eat a full sized Spook to know they'll hit a bait about half their size.

I caught a 5" smallie yesterday on a 6" jerk bait. Smallie will attack just about any size bait including 10-12" muskie baits.

I have to add, that I agree with the above - except - when you are fishing finesse presentations. Then, a 3" or 4" worm, on a drop shot rig, can make a big difference. If I'm using reaction type baits, then bigger is usually better.

I've had them smash a 1 oz double willow spinnerbait with a pork trailer on KY lake on the main point mouths or ledges.

4 inch all black brokentail jitterbugs at night and 4 inch saltwater all black poprs during the early morning.

Found a 4 pounder floating on the river last weekend. Scooped her up and removed

a giant blue gill that was stuck in her mouth. She appeared to be fine as she swam

away.

B)

Unlike a largemouth, a smallie will attack a lure because it invaded its domain and because it's a natural response no matter the size as these guys above have said. The only time I've seen smallies ignore a bait is when they are on the beds but they still will hit the lure to keep it away from the bed, sometimes with the tail.

I caught a 6.5lb smallmouth at pickwick several years ago that hit a spinnerbait the only problem was he had about a 1.5lb striper still in his mouth there was about 1/4 of it still all of the way out. After I brought him in he spit the rest of it up. I still cannot figure out why he was hitting my spinnerbait when he could not eat it.

I've caught smallmouth of various sizes on 6" swimbaits.

I've caught smallmouth of various sizes on 6" swimbaits.

I have not ventured into the 6" range for bass yet, but the 5" baits have been very good to me.

I throw the 6" baits for the long green toothy girls.

A-Jay

Many years ago I was fishing on the Chippawa Flowage. In the lodge bar's fish tank there was about a 10" bass, a 6" shiner and about a 4" bullhead. The next day after fishing the shiner's tail was sticking out of the basses mouth. The bartender said the bass would digest the shiner then go to work on the bull head. He said after the bass took the bull head he would replace both the shiner and the bull head and the cycle would start all over. Always with the shiner first.