Sign in to follow this  
ChrisWi

Medium Action Casting Rod For Texas Rigs/hardheads

Want to get a rod dedicated to Texas rigs and hardheads. I'm a huge fan of light wire hooks and I'm wondering if anyone else likes a M/F for them. Dont fish too heavy of cover. Thanks.

what price range?

I'm gonna get another Mojo Bass. Just asking about action.

I'm gonna get another Mojo Bass. Just asking about action.

You're actually asking about power.  Fast is the action.  I prefer a MH power rod for those applications.  I currently use a St. Croix in MHF, although not in the Mojo line.

• Like 1

I use a MH/F for most of my Texas rigging with a baitcaster, but I dont really use light wire hooks much.

Medium fast should work well with the light wire hooks. Medium heavy with heavier line could bend the lighter hook, causing you to lose fish

I like a Dobyns 742c which is rated up to 5/8 oz for light t rigs.

Want to get a rod dedicated to Texas rigs and hardheads. I'm a huge fan of light wire hooks and I'm wondering if anyone else likes a M/F for them. Dont fish too heavy of cover. Thanks.

I'm starting to prefer lighter rods for this type of presentation.  M/F will be perfect. 

"Medium" power is a subjective term. The suitability for an exact application depends on that particular blank. In general, there is no reason to automatically exclude a "Med" power rod for the app you're looking at. 

A medium power/fast action will do great with those techniques. I use a M/F for a lot of my soft plastics. With light wire hooks you don't need anything super heavy and a Medium power St. Croix will have enough backbone to drive a regular hook home as well. 

• Like 2

I have a LTBC70MF "Teaser" that is fantastic for this stuff.

Ok

Can't add anymore of substance than what you've already got.

Take thier advise.

But a question for you...excuse my ignorance, but what is a "hardhead"?

Mike

I take it to mean jigs with a jointed hook connection, like Biffle head.

I thought it might be a jig head of some sort but wasn't sure as I've never heard it called that before.

Thanks

Mike

It's the name for the Lerew version.

I take it to mean jigs with a jointed hook connection, like Biffle head.

I've found a hardhead or swinging structure jig tied on more often a Texas rig for me lately because of its versitility. You can pitch it by docks, fish it on ledges, swim it, and so many other things.

A good quality retailer like Cabela's offers great medium rods with plenty of backbone and sensitivity to give you plenty of hook setting and feel when you're on the water wormin'.

I own Cabela's Fish Eagle rods. I like the six foot medium, fast action for my T-rig presentations with 10 or 12 lb test mono. Larry Nixon, a great worm basser, prefers the six foot rod.

Old school basser...

*** 7'3" M/F $100 - fished it all year 3/16-3/8 trigs and jigs. You cannot go wrong with it.

I'll stick with St. Croix. Dont like the omens handles.

I had the exact rod you're planning on using. Not my favorite for those baits but it will certainly work. 

I had the exact rod you're planning on using. Not my favorite for those baits but it will certainly work.

I'm kinda stuck around this price point and have two MoJo's already so I might as well get another

Many of the people I know that use the Hard Head or the MESU equiv.  fish them with a steady retrieve just off the bottom, bumping rocks, wood and anything else in it's path.  If fished like this, I prefer a MH/F rod somewhere around 7ft.  A softer rod makes it more difficult to use this method.

Many of the people I know that use the Hard Head or the MESU equiv. fish them with a steady retrieve just off the bottom, bumping rocks, wood and anything else in it's path. If fished like this, I prefer a MH/F rod somewhere around 7ft. A softer rod makes it more difficult to use this method.

I don't get why a MH would make a difference over a M in this case. I fish rocks most of the time and I found using a softer rod is nice for bottom contact baits. Just feels better, a opinion I guess.

I don't get why a MH would make a difference over a M in this case. I fish rocks most of the time and I found using a softer rod is nice for bottom contact baits. Just feels better, a opinion I guess.

Go with what works for you