buzzed bait

What Line Size And Type For Jerk Bait/topwater Rod?

What size and type of line would you suggest for a jerk bait/topwater setup?

12# mono. It floats and has give for treble hooks. 12# is a good size because it handles well, and depending on where you fish, your not risking many break offs. I've never broken of a fish and I fish 12# mono on my topwater/jerkbait, crankbait, and spinnerbait setups.

20lb braid. Tied direct to topwaters, and with a 10 or 12lb flouro leader for jerkbaits.

Those should be two different setups IMO. I use 16 lb mono for my top waters and 8-10 lb fluoro for my jerkbaits. I find jerkbaits are better on fluoro, that is why I use two different setups.

• Like 1

10 lb flouro for jerkbaits, 15 lb mono for top waters. If you can only have one setup I would go with 12 co polly, either McCoy mean green or izorline xxx.

I have 2 identical rigs for jerkbaits, one with 10lb mono, the other with 14lb mono.  I prefer slightly stiffer tip for topwater than jerkbaits so different rig for that with 14 lb mono.

10lb or less Mono or FC depending on what the bait fish are doing and what type of jerkbait I am using.

30lb braid for topwaters and 8lb Fc leader for jerkbaits

I use the same two rods for a majority of baits in both those categories, both are spooled with 10lb copolymer. 

Jerkbait : 8lb. to 10lb mono / co-poly or FC which I believe works best for working the bait on a slack line .

Topwater : 12lb to 15lb mono / co-poly

*20lb. Braid with 18" of appropriate leader material (per above line recommendations) : Although I have not tried it , using braid with the appropriate leader material could work . A short section of leader material prevents treble hooks from fouling ; not sure how well braid works for slack line working the bait (jerk bait / walk-the-dog baits) but others have stated it works just fine ...Your mileage for the above may vary .

I going with 14 or 15 lb mono for a top water and 10 to 12 lb for the jerkbait.  I would be happy using the 15 for both if I wanted to do so with the same rod/reel.

I would say braid also but if im not pulling across any slop which is the case for me most of the time I will stick with the mono here and not flouro.

#12 monofilament.  Specifically, Sunline Super Natural.

:winter-146:

Been using 30# Tuf-Line SuperCast, loving it.

tons of different answers, but i appreciate all of them.  can't quite land on which route to go, but will likely be either 12lb mono (likely the easiest route to take) or the 30lb braid/leader for jerkbaits option which i like as well.

thanks for all the opinions!