Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Round 2: Flooding

The Mississippi River exceeded the "500 year" flood stage in 2011. The next "500 year" flood is expected here in Memphis around January 9th. Currently all resources are being directed to move this water down the system. From a practical standpoint this means maximum release from all reservoirs in the Mississippi Valey. Pickwick is "spilling until further notice" which translates into the release of 305,000 cubic feet per second! The river below the dams is effectively closed to recreational boaters.

I live on the Tallapoosa system and we are 8' over already with more rain on the way. The only plus side is the warm muddy water and swift current has made for a great spinnerbaits bite on main lake points.

saw some crazy aerial footage of some flooding in north GA and western NC.  in one of the pics you can clearly see my brother's house....  it's crazy, be safe!

We are flooded all over here.  Many of our roads and parts of the highway are flooded.  I might not even be able to go home tonight if the

water keeps rising.

I have been in the basement for the last two days with a shop vac.  No flooding, but multiple leaks from the water not having anywhere to go.

Yeah...I got my up close and personal scare from floodwaters in 2009 when ATL flooded.  This is a pic of my old subdivision, and my old house is the one circled in red.  Not fun when you have no idea what you'll come back to.

large.austell_427589a.jpg.12662242b2a395

Wow...wow

They are getting ready to close the last road from Jefferson county to St. Louis county.  We are basically an island.

17 hours ago, Chris at Tech said:

Yeah...I got my up close and personal scare from floodwaters in 2009 when ATL flooded.  This is a pic of my old subdivision, and my old house is the one circled in red.  Not fun when you have no idea what you'll come back to.

large.austell_427589a.jpg.12662242b2a395

If you look at the bushes, the water was another foot or two higher, and about 25 more feet up in the road. Either way it sucks.

2 minutes ago, BrownBear said:

If you look at the bushes, the water was another foot or two higher, and about 25 more feet up in the road. Either way it sucks.

Yup, you're correct.  About 7 of the houses in that 25 house subdivision were demolished.  It's amazing to me that we were able to see that house (and we sold it in a day :) )...