Jump to content
NEBasser101

What is your favorite casting rod?

Recommended Posts

I was fishing a tournament yesterday and my abu garcia volatile rod broke on the first use. TW told me they would let me exchange the rod. I am looking for a medium heavy rod for crankbaits, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits. What rods do you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a Fenwick HMX in 7'6" for frogging and punching, and an HMG in 7'0" for T-rigs and loving both of them.

I can't tell you which one I like more yet (partly because they're different lengths and actions) but I'm definitely liking them for their affordability and quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NEBasser101 said:

I was fishing a tournament yesterday and my abu garcia volatile rod broke on the first use. TW told me they would let me exchange the rod. I am looking for a medium heavy rod for crankbaits, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits. What rods do you recommend?

 

7 minutes ago, BadContrakt said:

Just got a Fenwick HMX in 7'6" for frogging and punching, and an HMG in 7'0" for T-rigs and loving both of them.

I can't tell you which one I like more yet (partly because they're different lengths and actions) but I'm definitely liking them for their affordability and quality.

You might be able to cast a spinner bait using crankbait rod depending on the weight of the spinner bait and diving depth of the crankbait however the jerk bait, soft or hard, will be difficult depending on the weight and size. There isn't one rod that can do it all unless the lures weigh nearly the same weight.

Tom

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WRB said:

 

You might be able to cast a spinner bait using crankbait rod depending on the weight of the spinner bait and diving depth of the crankbait however the jerk bait, soft or hard, will be difficult depending on the weight and size. There isn't one rod that can do it all unless the lures weigh nearly the same weight.

Tom

 

 

Not sure why you quoted me lol but yeah. What Tom said. You're not going to be able to have a rod that will cover all 3 of those applications.

I was just talking about my new fenwicks to give him an idea or a starting point. Would make a good spinnerbait and jerkbait rod but I'm not sure the HMG or HMX would be suitable as a crankbait rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go for the mojo glass cranking rod for a nice affordable cranking stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the rods I own and I dont have a lot of expensive rods , the Shimano Compre is my favorite .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, the three techniques you selected each require three different actions of rods, so if your budget is not an issue, I would look into more than one. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite rod is a Falcon Lowrider that's more than 10 years old. It's a 7' MH/MF tip that's supposed to be for big crankbaits. But I use it for T rigs/jigs and find the action and power perfect for that use. It's by far the most sensitive rod I have. I have it paired with an older BPS Johnny Morris reel that's smooth as buddah. The rod would have cost $129 new but I bought it from a coworker for $50. He was a really good guy who passed away unexpectedly not long ago. Every time I use the rod I'm reminded of him. Not surprisingly, I usually use this rod more than 50% of the time.

If I had $130 to throw at all my rids, I'd just buy Lowriders from here on out as long as they stay on the market. But the fact is extreme sensitivity is not necessary, maybe even not desired, with some techniques.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPascavage52 said:

In my opinion, the three techniques you selected each require three different actions of rods, so if your budget is not an issue, I would look into more than one. 

Agree with this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  my favorite casting rod? a shimano crucial, telescoping med heavy  carolina/jigs/worm, with a calcutta 251 reel... from back when they were using gloomis blanks. I dont think they are even making them anymore, But seeing as they are now one in the same Im sure a high end shimano would have the gloomis blanks. 

 Alot of guys are into getting the high end gear and there is some credit to it IE: sensitivity, casting distance, etc. But heres something to consider and I do have a few of these. There is no rod out there that has more money spent on development, research, innovations, etc.,..... than a berkley lightning rod. And for the money? I've got to say that they are well worth it. I have a few, and use them regularly, with no complaints. They are sensitive for worming/jigs, cast great too. So for the price of one high end rod you could have one for each of the 3 lures you want to throw.,..just an FYI.

The suggestions above are spot on and are all good choices. Im partial to shimanos and the compre is another good rod that I have. but I must add that i really like my new bass mojo finesse rod from st croix,...nice rod. 

So ,..it really comes down to what YOU want to spend, and what YOUR looking for as an end result.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keith "Hamma" Hatch said:

  my favorite casting rod? a shimano crucial, telescoping med heavy  carolina/jigs/worm, with a calcutta 251 reel... from back when they were using gloomis blanks. I dont think they are even making them anymore, But seeing as they are now one in the same Im sure a high end shimano would have the gloomis blanks. 

 Alot of guys are into getting the high end gear and there is some credit to it IE: sensitivity, casting distance, etc. But heres something to consider and I do have a few of these. There is no rod out there that has more money spent on development, research, innovations, etc.,..... than a berkley lightning rod. And for the money? I've got to say that they are well worth it. I have a few, and use them regularly, with no complaints. They are sensitive for worming/jigs, cast great too. So for the price of one high end rod you could have one for each of the 3 lures you want to throw.,..just an FYI.

The suggestions above are spot on and are all good choices. Im partial to shimanos and the compre is another good rod that I have. but I must add that i really like my new bass mojo finesse rod from st croix,...nice rod. 

So ,..it really comes down to what YOU want to spend, and what YOUR looking for as an end result.

This is good advice. As a guy with a young family that gets to fish a couple times a week, a high end rod isn't in the cards right now. I was looking at the berkley Lightning rods, thank you for good, unbiased information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock for my frog rog for the past several years. I've put that thing through hell and it just keeps on ticking. I have a few more expensive rods now for my worm/jig rod, but I've used Lightning Rods since the early 90s and they have always performed well for me and my family. For a more expensive rod I've gone to the St. Croix Mojo Bass rods. IMHO there are quality, dependable rods available in just about any price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, frosty said:

This is good advice. As a guy with a young family that gets to fish a couple times a week, a high end rod isn't in the cards right now. I was looking at the berkley Lightning rods, thank you for good, unbiased information. 

your welcome Frosty, if you do end up getting one you shouldnt be disappointed, just make sure the rod you buy "fits" the technique your planning to use it on. The OP stated that he's looking for a med heavy for crankbaits, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits,...I personally would consider a med action for the cranks, and jerks,... but a med heavy for spinnerbaits.,... I adhere to the old adage that a single hook lure requires a heavier action, and trebles a med action. This may be a "old" school of thought due to mono being the line back then. But I still follow it, and a 7' spinning med action lightning rod,... is one of my jerkbait rods

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'd rather have a rod for each of those techniques.  Sometimes it isn't possible for everyone whether it is a money or space issue.  Go to FFO and buy the Smallmouth 6'10" MH-MF for $75.  Very nice rod that was under-priced at list.  It is all about compromise in your situation.  I think this would be a good compromise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a Kistler Argon, It's a great rod at a great price. I think Kistlers are underrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would second the Dobyns Fury 705 for $110.  I your wallet allows the Champion DC 705CB would fit your hand well for $230.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally use a MH 7' Mojo Bass for my deep cranks and spinner baits. The rods specific technique says "spinner bait" and itsfantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2016 at 0:17 AM, BadContrakt said:as just talking about my new fenwicks to give him an idea or a starting point. Would make a good spinnerbait and jerkbait rod but I'm not sure the HMG or HMX would be suitable as a crankbait rod. 

Fenwick has a dedicated crank bait rod. I have 2 of them and can't say enough about them. Really nice durable rods for roughly $100. I can get the model off them when I get home if your interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S. Sass said:

Fenwick has a dedicated crank bait rod. I have 2 of them and can't say enough about them. Really nice durable rods for roughly $100. I can get the model off them when I get home if your interested. 

I know it won't be the HMG or HMX so sure. Check it out and let me know what model it is. Really liking Fenwick so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadContrakt said:

I know it won't be the HMG or HMX so sure. Check it out and let me know what model it is. Really liking Fenwick so far. 

It is a HMG  Fenwick HMG GT72M-F-CB Crankbait Casting Rod 7'2" Medium rod power, fast rod action. It appears they no longer make them. Sorry I didn't realize they were not available anymore.  What a shame it is a excellent rod for the $. 

Here I posted about it before 

 

1468431460151-303367305.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the ones I own my *** ***

Very very close 2nd would be croix legend tourny

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

It is a HMG  Fenwick HMG GT72M-F-CB Crankbait Casting Rod 7'2" Medium rod power, fast rod action. It appears they no longer make them. Sorry I didn't realize they were not available anymore.  What a shame it is a excellent rod for the $. 

Here I posted about it before 

 

1468431460151-303367305.jpg

Hmmmm what's this rod made of? I wouldn't consider the current-made HMG a good crankbait rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ColdSVT said:

Of the ones I own my *** ***

Very very close 2nd would be croix legend tourny

 

Really?....13.  Fishing...is censored?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×