Jump to content
Some tissues

If you could only get 3 rods to cover bass fishing what would be the 3 that covers most

Recommended Posts

I'd have a MLXF spinning rod, a MF spinning rod, and a MHF casting rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLXF spinning, MHF casting rod, moderate casting rod, unless there was a lot of vegetation then I would trade the last one for a heavy fast. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

For me: M spin, MH spin, MH casting.

But I'd also want a M casting.

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 jig rods. Each with a different color jig. One with black n blue, one with green pumpkin, and one with PB&J

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas Rig 

Jig-N-Craw

Spinnerbait/buzzbait/trap

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

id have a mh casting, a heavy casting, and a m spinning. that would cover pretty much all i do since i dont finesse very often at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A M/XF spinning rod (ned rig, drop shot, shakeyhead, light T-rig, weightless plastics etc.)

A MH/MF for moving baits

A H/F for frogs, jigs etc. 

 

I would be happy or at least somewhat comfortable with pretty much any technique besides large swimbaits on these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M Spinning- shakey head, drop shot, senko.

M Casting- Cranks, Spinnerbait, Topwater, Swimbait.

H Casting- Jig/Texas rig

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A med action 6'6" spinning rod, for treble hooked lures

A med heavy 7" casting rod, for spinnerbaits and such

 A flipping stick, for jigs and worms

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gonna say a m/f spinning for a general purpose spinning rod, medium-heavy/fast casting for everything else besides cranks and spinnerbaits, and medium/moderate casting rod for cranks and spinnerbaits, but I do love throwing finesse stuff like the ned rig a huge percentage of the time.  I guess I would have to trade the medium/moderate casting rod for a medium-lite/fast spinning rod, but unless fishing for numbers of smaller fish is your thing I would go with the first trio I mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

m/f spinning

mh/m casting

h/f casting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

I was gonna say a m/f spinning for a general purpose spinning rod, medium-heavy/fast casting for everything else besides cranks and spinnerbaits, and medium/moderate casting rod for cranks and spinnerbaits, but I do love throwing finesse stuff like the ned rig a huge percentage of the time.  I guess I would have to trade the medium/moderate casting rod for a medium-lite/fast spinning rod, but unless fishing for numbers of smaller fish is your thing I would go with the first trio I mentioned.

lol I use light gear for bigger fish (channels and carp) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont really know.. MLFX spinning, MHF casting and MHMF casting I guess..Pretty similar to what I am running right now lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Fish yeeter said:

lol I use light gear for bigger fish (channels and carp) 

It sure does make it more fun to use lighter gear, so I usually do so whenever possible.  When i'm doing what bluebasser calls "bass fishing for catfish" I use a medium fast spinning rod with ten pound line, makes it interesting never knowing who's gonna win cause they can snap that light line as soon as it rubs against a rock.  And you have to remember to not keep your rod straight up when they decide they want to do circles on the bottom beneath the boat, otherwise they will break your rod. 

The biggest fish I've caught on light line was a 38 pound common carp.  It was spawning and I could see it so I flipped my ned rig in front of it's face and it sucked it off the bottom.  It seemed like it took an eternity to get it in with a medium-lite rod and an eight pound leader, luckily it wasn't super energetic like smaller carp otherwise I don't think I could have caught it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

It sure does make it more fun to use lighter gear, so I usually do so whenever possible.  When i'm doing what bluebasser calls "bass fishing for catfish" I use a medium fast spinning rod with ten pound line, makes it interesting never knowing who's gonna win cause they can snap that light line as soon as it rubs against a rock.  And you have to remember to not keep your rod straight up when they decide they want to do circles on the bottom beneath the boat, otherwise they will break your rod. 

The biggest fish I've caught on light line was a 38 pound common carp.  It was spawning and I could see it so I flipped my ned rig in front of it's face and it sucked it off the bottom.  It seemed like it took an eternity to get it in with a medium-lite rod and an eight pound leader, luckily it wasn't super energetic like smaller carp otherwise I don't think I could have caught it.

Yeah it's a blast I use 6 pld ultracast with the drag set low and when they hit it the drag starts singing. Most carp I catch are around 20-27"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, it depends on what you're after and the conditions you mainly fish.

For up here in New England, I could go two directions:

L, M, H - Light for panfish and trout, medium for most bass soft plastics and light jigging, H for punching or jigs in heavy cover.

ML, MH, H - Going slightly heavier on the bottom and middle if I'm excluding some of the smaller species and focusing mainly on bass, lakers, pike, or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HeavyDluxe said:

As others have said, it depends on what you're after and the conditions you mainly fish.

For up here in New England, I could go two directions:

L, M, H - Light for panfish and trout, medium for most bass soft plastics and light jigging, H for punching or jigs in heavy cover.

ML, MH, H - Going slightly heavier on the bottom and middle if I'm excluding some of the smaller species and focusing mainly on bass, lakers, pike, or something.

Focus would be mostly largemouth and smallmouth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Florida so I'd need one rod for flipping and at least one rod for fishing trebles in grassy shallow water.

76 mhf to hf- Worms, jigs, frogs, buzz toads, flipping, Carolina rigging, finesse swim baits and big spinnerbaits. 

76 glass composite mhmf mmf-  squarebills, lipless baits, medium sized plugs, smaller spinnerbaits, buzz baits chatterbaits.  

7 mf spinning- all of my finesse plastic techniques and lures >3/16 of an ounce including small top waters and 1/8 ounce lipless baits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MBB Nate said:

Med light fast spinning rod

Medium Moderate casting rod

Medium Heavy Fast casting rod

^ What MBB Nate said.

 

Tom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×