Jump to content
Mike L

Who do you stand up for?

Recommended Posts

At tonight's WS game the crowd, players, coaches, umpires and announcers all stood up and held a sign with a hand written name of who they "Stand up for" in the fight against cancer ..I thought it was very moving to see.

So, with the moderator's permission I would like to start a thread here..

I'm standing up as I type this to say "I Stand Up For"..My Ma, Dad and Brother 

Who do you Stand Up For?

Mike

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Stand Up For Sandy.

My Daughter's best friends Mom.

May the Good Lord continue to give Sandy the strength to keep fighting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stood up for my mom & dad. I also stand up for Stitch and myself. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand up for my grandma. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand up for John William.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the point of this topic but I would stand up for all that are effected by cancer. It seems we all know someone who has had to deal with it. 

God bless you all.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craig is a retired paramedic. we all grew up and went to school together, worked and retired from the city. two years ago they found something in his liver. he's fighting the fight, still comes to the gym and walks with us on Wednesdays. darn good guy.

i'll stand for him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flyfisher said:

Ummmmm...to pee :)

Doubt it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flyfisher said:

I expected something better....

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of family members hit with some form of cancer. Some survived, some did not. I'll stand for all cancer victims.

right I'm trying to stand myself. Had surgery for skin cancer yesterday morning. Tried to do last night with just Tylenol. Had to take something stronger, and have been buzzed all day and evening. Probably shouldn't be on here trying to communicate.

Forgive me if I say something really stupid.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

Lots of family members hit with some form of cancer. Some survived, some did not. I'll stand for all cancer victims.

right I'm trying to stand myself. Had surgery for skin cancer yesterday morning. Tried to do last night with just Tylenol. Had to take something stronger, and have been buzzed all day and evening. Probably shouldn't be on here trying to communicate.

Forgive me if I say something really stupid.

I'm Sure  glad they got it! Nothing to mess around with

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 30, 2016 at 6:10 PM, riverbasser said:

I understand the point of this topic but I would stand up for all that are effected by cancer. It seems we all know someone who has had to deal with it. 

God bless you all.

I will stand with you anytime of day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2016 at 9:02 PM, .ghoti. said:

Lots of family members hit with some form of cancer. Some survived, some did not. I'll stand for all cancer victims.

right I'm trying to stand myself. Had surgery for skin cancer yesterday morning. Tried to do last night with just Tylenol. Had to take something stronger, and have been buzzed all day and evening. Probably shouldn't be on here trying to communicate.

Forgive me if I say something really stupid.

Geeze man, are you alright? What's the prognosis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a few days of pain and stupor I'm doing ok. Took a selfie of the stitches on my forehead and thought about posting the pic here as a public service message about skin cancer, but the pic is sort of gruesome. Gonna have a big scar running from above the hairline, down towards the middle of my forehead. Wasn't gonna win any beauty contests, but this might be fugly. But it beats the alternative. 

Had a procedure called Moh's micro-surgery. They take out a chuck with all the visible evil, then take a very thin slice all around. The slice goes to the lab where they prep it and look for roots. They have it oriented so they know which way the roots run, and can go after them. The lab process take about 45 minutes. I had to go back three times to chase the roots. When they finally got it all I had a hole 10cm x 18cm. They tapered the ends to a point to make it better for stitching and sewed me up. Did a lot of cauterization. The wound is still oozing black spooge. Got seven internal stitches which will dissolve and 14 visible stitches which are supposed to come out Tuesday.

this was not my first experience with this procedure. As I understand it, this form of cancer; basil cell carcinoma, is a result of UV damage from decades past. I hope all you young guys take heed from this report, and protect yourselves. I'm paying, and will likely continue to pay, for not protecting my skin when I was a young dummy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, .ghoti. said:

After a few days of pain and stupor I'm doing ok. Took a selfie of the stitches on my forehead and thought about posting the pic here as a public service message about skin cancer, but the pic is sort of gruesome. Gonna have a big scar running from above the hairline, down towards the middle of my forehead. Wasn't gonna win any beauty contests, but this might be fugly. But it beats the alternative. 

Had a procedure called Moh's micro-surgery. They take out a chuck with all the visible evil, then take a very thin slice all around. The slice goes to the lab where they prep it and look for roots. They have it oriented so they know which way the roots run, and can go after them. The lab process take about 45 minutes. I had to go back three times to chase the roots. When they finally got it all I had a hole 10cm x 18cm. They tapered the ends to a point to make it better for stitching and sewed me up. Did a lot of cauterization. The wound is still oozing black spooge. Got seven internal stitches which will dissolve and 14 visible stitches which are supposed to come out Tuesday.

this was not my first experience with this procedure. As I understand it, this form of cancer; basil cell carcinoma, is a result of UV damage from decades past. I hope all you young guys take heed from this report, and protect yourselves. I'm paying, and will likely continue to pay, for not protecting my skin when I was a young dummy. 

Sounds unpleasant to say the least.

Hope you can get to feeling better soon.

In the mean time a little snoot of Berheim Wheat every now & then might help to take the edge off.

:smiley:
A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

After a few days of pain and stupor I'm doing ok. Took a selfie of the stitches on my forehead and thought about posting the pic here as a public service message about skin cancer, but the pic is sort of gruesome. Gonna have a big scar running from above the hairline, down towards the middle of my forehead. Wasn't gonna win any beauty contests, but this might be fugly. But it beats the alternative. 

Had a procedure called Moh's micro-surgery. They take out a chuck with all the visible evil, then take a very thin slice all around. The slice goes to the lab where they prep it and look for roots. They have it oriented so they know which way the roots run, and can go after them. The lab process take about 45 minutes. I had to go back three times to chase the roots. When they finally got it all I had a hole 10cm x 18cm. They tapered the ends to a point to make it better for stitching and sewed me up. Did a lot of cauterization. The wound is still oozing black spooge. Got seven internal stitches which will dissolve and 14 visible stitches which are supposed to come out Tuesday.

this was not my first experience with this procedure. As I understand it, this form of cancer; basil cell carcinoma, is a result of UV damage from decades past. I hope all you young guys take heed from this report, and protect yourselves. I'm paying, and will likely continue to pay, for not protecting my skin when I was a young dummy. 

 

I hope for your sake they got it all & you don't have any more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too hope they get it all and you will done with it, and it will never return  

 

Mike 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2016 at 7:11 PM, lo n slo said:

Craig is a retired paramedic. we all grew up and went to school together, worked and retired from the city. two years ago they found something in his liver. he's fighting the fight, still comes to the gym and walks with us on Wednesdays. darn good guy.

i'll stand for him

we all got together for BBQ at Craig’s this past Thursday, then we lost him yesterday afternoon. love you man.

E5D55916-815F-4F06-BC03-CB42EE08E669.jpeg

69FD00AA-28DC-4914-A02E-0BAD7FB2049F.jpeg

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lo n slo said:

we all got together for BBQ at Craig’s this past Thursday, then we lost him yesterday afternoon. love you man.

E5D55916-815F-4F06-BC03-CB42EE08E669.jpeg

69FD00AA-28DC-4914-A02E-0BAD7FB2049F.jpeg

Sorry to hear that Lo. 

 

Cancer is a horrible disease. Just weeks into college my life was flipped upside down when I was diagnosed with stage 4 non hodgkins and Hodgkin lymphoma. It was 4 rounds of radiation and 5 months of intense chemo that required a week in the hospital 2 weeks out and did that for 5 months. 14 years later here I am!

 

Having lost an uncle, both my grandfather's and have known several others I know I'm the lucky one, and I make sure never to forget that. 

 

I try to do everything I can to in some way to support my local children's hospital where I was treated, and have donated in the past to St. Jude's because having been through it children's hematology/oncology is near and dear to me. 

 

So I stand with my fellow survivors for everyone who's going through treatment and say Never Give Up! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×