Jump to content
juicebass

Chatterbait, spinnerbaits for searching in spring

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

 

when searing for bass bass in early spring, is the chatterbait a good option or too fast and irratic?

 

Same question regarding the spinner? Is one better than the other?

 

i fish from the bank early on in the season before I go out on boat during the summer, so I like to stay away from throwing expensive cranks and losing them..

 

any plastic suggestions? Fishing for smallies and largies from the bank!

 

basically I wanna cover as much water as I can till I locate bass.. I went out early last spring with little luck, maybe the water was just too cold for them to be too shallow. Did better on later in spring..!

 

 

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Eastern Iowa the water temps have been 43 to 50 degrees.  I have been having most of my luck throwing a jerk bait and lipless crank.  Also caught some on the chatterbait, DT6 crankbait and the wacky rig.

 

This is the first year I've ever used a jerk bait and I've been loving it.  This is also the first time I've been fishing this much this early in the year too.  The best luck has been on a Rapala Husky Jerk.  What's been great is that I've had luck jerking and pausing the retrieval and just using a steady retrieve.  It has a nice slow wobble and flash in the water.

 

The chatterbait is one of my favorite lures to use all year long but the lipless crank is right there with it.  My favorite is the Strike King Red Eye Shad in the orange craw color.  With the Chatterbait I like the black/blue color and also the red.

 

All three lures I have been using are great for covering a lot of water quickly.  Throwing plastics will not cover water very fast but are still effective.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a Chatterbait is very versatile, you can straight trieve it back or pitch it up next to a bush/tree and let it fall slowly thru the branches.  Just don't expect a huge hit on a chatterbait.  Sometimes all you will feel is the bait quit vibrating, big bass will push it towards you making slack in your line.  Make sure you set the hook hard because most of the time the hook is pointed up and you stick em in the roof of their mouth.  Using a quality 50-65# test braided line will magnify the vibration of the bait as well as magnify the sensevity .  Best mentality when chunking a chatterbait is to compare it to a jig bite.

Hope this helps

 

P.s.  the original chatterbaits are the cheapest and vibrate the best.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The early spring is the only time I throw a spinnerbait in Northern NY.  Bladed jigs are really good as well.  Try a swimjig.  It's a bit more subtle than the other baits mentioned.  I catch a bunch with it in the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As start of the bass season, I tend to start out with the 1/2oz chatterbaits to "wake" them up knowing that I have arrived. its just a confidence thing I have been doing for years. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love bladed jigs in early spring and into summer. Once summer hits though, I tend to fish it less.

 

One thing you can do to help suppress your want to cover water; in early spring from the bank, is to map out the water and eliminate dead or low probability water. Of course, bass can be anywhere, but there are areas better than others. Especially in early spring. I've been fishing transition areas (deep to shallow and vice versa [focusing more on sharp transitions than gradual slopes) with a chatterbait up and down the water column.

 

All the fish I've landed this year so far have been on a chatterbait. Minus the fowl hooked sucker who fell victim to my blade bait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, juicebass said:

Hey guys, 

 

when searing for bass bass in early spring, is the chatterbait a good option or too fast and irratic?

 

Same question regarding the spinner? Is one better than the other?

 

i fish from the bank early on in the season before I go out on boat during the summer, so I like to stay away from throwing expensive cranks and losing them..

 

any plastic suggestions? Fishing for smallies and largies from the bank!

 

basically I wanna cover as much water as I can till I locate bass.. I went out early last saring with little luck, maybe the water was just too cold for them to be too shallow. Did better on later in spring..!

 

 

 

thanks

When using a bladed jig (chatter bait) it can be fished fast and erratic or slow and finessed. I have started to swear by bladed jigs in all season conditions. Here are some of the tips I have and I fish a lot from the bank myself. 

 

Fast Erratic Action Swimbait trailer

Fast or Medium but Subtle Action Craw trailer

Medium to slow with subtle action (finesse presentation) Fluke trailer

deathly slow presentation chunk trailer 

 

You will have to experiment with all types of trailer and fin which works best for you but my advice would be fluke or craw trailer and slow your retrieve down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-04-03 at 2:02 PM, WTnPuddleJumper said:

a Chatterbait is very versatile, you can straight trieve it back or pitch it up next to a bush/tree and let it fall slowly thru the branches.  Just don't expect a huge hit on a chatterbait.  Sometimes all you will feel is the bait quit vibrating, big bass will push it towards you making slack in your line.  Make sure you set the hook hard because most of the time the hook is pointed up and you stick em in the roof of their mouth.  Using a quality 50-65# test braided line will magnify the vibration of the bait as well as magnify the sensevity .  Best mentality when chunking a chatterbait is to compare it to a jig bite.

Hope this helps

 

P.s.  the original chatterbaits are the cheapest and vibrate the best.

Nice.. is using big braid to a Flurocarbon leader a good idea also?

i usually put a leader of 12lbs fluro..

On 2017-04-03 at 5:47 PM, Ohio Bassin said:

When using a bladed jig (chatter bait) it can be fished fast and erratic or slow and finessed. I have started to swear by bladed jigs in all season conditions. Here are some of the tips I have and I fish a lot from the bank myself. 

 

Fast Erratic Action Swimbait trailer

Fast or Medium but Subtle Action Craw trailer

Medium to slow with subtle action (finesse presentation) Fluke trailer

deathly slow presentation chunk trailer 

 

You will have to experiment with all types of trailer and fin which works best for you but my advice would be fluke or craw trailer and slow your retrieve down.

Sweet! Great advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my best luck with chatterbaits in the spring and in the fall.  The trailer I have on is either a fat albert, or a craw.  I like to slow roll the bait along the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the crap out of a chatterbait all year except for the extreme cold beginning and end (less than 40 degrees). Honestly, its not about when for me, but where. There are some lakes that they seem like they don't want it at all, or they'd rather have a spinnerbait, other lakes, they cant get enough chatter.

 

Regardless of where and when, I have always been more of a slow and steady retrieve with them (and the occasional pops/speed changes). I want it to be thumping hard, flashing bright, and looking like a good size meal that is moving slow enough that they have to have crazy discipline to turn it down! If I want to burn for a reaction, I am probably going to use a different lure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty spawn is definitely a very productive time for chatterbaits bass are feeding up for the spawn so bait fish profile is a good idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish them slow and steady when the water is cold. They'll eat them just fine.

409397da-79d6-413d-8aca-53e43a1798d8_zps

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Garmin bluebasser. Have the same one in my boat and love it. Still can't read the darn thing but it sure looks cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dsqui said:

Nice Garmin bluebasser. Have the same one in my boat and love it. Still can't read the darn thing but it sure looks cool

Thanks, I've had a matching set of 93SV units on the boat since I bought it a couple years ago. I really like mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, juicebass said:

Nice.. is using big braid to a Flurocarbon leader a good idea also?

i usually put a leader of 12lbs fluro..

Sweet! Great advice!

I would use  braid all the way to the bait.  A chatterbait is a good "off road" bait but will get hung occasionally.  With 65# you can usually bend the hook out with a strong tug.  with that floro you would lose too many baits

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...